Fitbit App improvement

Since access to the tracker is proprietary, please improve the app to be comparable  with other apps on the market - See MeeRun, for an app written by a college student while studying for his exams.  One would think that a team of programmers could do a similar job.  Or is this a corporate thing.

Moderator Edit: Labels

15 Comments
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Ok I'm not sure what aspect your asking to be improved. 

The user interface or the ability of third parties to link up.. Not sure what is it about meerun that is liked

powdah
Base Runner

Look at MeeRun's feedback flexibility.  All the data you want with many more interval possibilities through BT.  Fitbit will not provide HR at any interval through headset.

No third party app is allowed direct access to the tracker. This is per your Tech Support

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Third parties have access through fit it's api it is the same for apple, android wear, garmon, etc. 

Meerun is an app you say, not hardware.. Not sure what the feedback flex ability is, are you saying that there is many ways to submit feedback? 

powdah
Base Runner

Download the free version of Meerun to see what it offers. Not one of apps you claim compatible can provide real time data through BT with Fitbit.  the Mio tracker allows any app to access the tracker directly. Wish yours did the same .  Your api limits the ability of other apps functionality.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

And what will it accomplish to download the mio app, their web sight has at least 6 mentioned. And what does the mio app have to do with the tracker connecting to third parties. 

powdah
Base Runner

Mio has a tracker that allows other apps to access it. For a good app, see MeeRun.

You are obviously not very well versed with the competition or are a serious user.

You tell me how to get my HR through my BT headset. Tell me how to get readings at 30 second intervals.

I give up trying to get you to understand.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Yes I'm well aware that having over 800 votes given to me as well as 1050+ solutions (1 solution per 24 posts) means I know nothing of which I speak 

That of course does not explan that when asking about what it is that you don't like about the Fitbit app you keep bringing up the Fitbit hardware, what does the hardware have to do with the app. 

As for mio run there is no such thing in the play store.. Mio Go, Mio Pai, and 4 more apps listed as just MIO. 

powdah
Base Runner

Forget Mio, 

With your expertise, just tell me how to hear my HR in my BT head set, preferably at 30 second intervals. Or my mileage in 1/4 mile intervals.

powdah
Base Runner

Hmmmmmm, no response,  is this because your app cannot do what I ask and other third party apps can do?

Give up?

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

This is not the area to ask for help. 

As for your question - it already was answered in the 2 response by you. 

And know other third party apps can not access your Fitbit tracker directly, so no they can not do it either. 

Your still confuse omg yhingd. 

powdah
Base Runner

Was not asking for help (more being sarcastic)  - just for you to defend your comments about how great the Fitbit app is, and the ability of third party apps compatibility to provide elements that are missing from the FitBit app.

You seem to think the FB app and trackers provide all the flexibility and access needed to achieve ones goals.  You do not ever acknowledge weaknesses in the products.

Do not worry - consider this sarcastic Friday and I have had a week of dealing with bureaucrats.  I do acknowledge the limitations of your software.  Hardware is good.  I do wait for the day that FB improves their software to be more flexible.  Presently, I wear a chest HR monitor when training to receive Real Time information through my BT headset as FB does not have this function or allow a third party app to do this. 

You have to admit that I am write or provide a methodology to prove me wrong. 

Have a good Friday

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Can't say your write because your request has been very confusing and not to any single point. 

You say you want a Fitbit app improvement but only talk about Meerun? 

Why not simply say what you want implemented in fitbit. 

Of course you also could do the requested search, I'm sure whatever it is that you want has all ready been suggested and waiting for your vote. 

As for getting the Heart rate into your headphones from your Fitbit tracker, I do not know of any app that can do this. Yes there are apps that can do this with other HE monitors but they can not do this with a Fitbit monitor. 

You asked for the app to be comparable then start talking about hardware, not the app. 

Very few apps on the market are comparable with other apps that is why they talk to each other througha web API.. Fitbit also has an open API. 

I have not said anything about Fitbit and what I think.. I've simply been trying to get your thoughts in confused and borrowed down to what is being requested. 

powdah
Base Runner

First - review your comments as your spell check inserted "write" instead of "right".

Second - You are making mountains out of mole hills.

See below -

You say you want a Fitbit app improvement but only talk about Meerun?

I used MeeRun as an EXAMPLE of a well written app that provides flexibility.

As for getting the Heart rate into your headphones from your Fitbit tracker, I do not know of any app that can do this.

This is an improvement I would like to see.

Yes there are apps that can do this with other HE (Do you mean HR) monitors but they can not do this with a Fitbit monitor. 

This is a second improvement I would like to see. Allow other apps access DIRECTLY to the tracker.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Currently all transmission between the tracker and the Fitbit server are encrypted. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

If I understand correctly @powdah, you want to be able to get your heart rate every 30 seconds through your Bluetooth device, am I correct?

If I'm right, this is not possible within the Fitbit app installed on your mobile phone. It is also not possible to get the heart rate data directly from any Fitbit hardware in a 3rd party application.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.