Get rid of Adobe Flash Player from the website

Please rewite the Dashboard and Log on the web site using non-Flash technology, preferably HTML5.

Flash is too much of a resource hog on desktops and doesn't run on iOS devices.

Thanks.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

260 Comments
elle1234
First Steps

Agree! I use Firefox on my desktop and the flash plugin constantly crashes. This week Firefox and Chrome disabled flash completely for a period due to security worries. Everyone else thinks Flash is dead. When are you going to replace it??

grdy
Jogger

when i try to look at the second sleep screen it shows that i must download adobeflash to my laptop.i dont want adobe on my computer for security reasons[flash has been hacked lately]. i wrote this to fitbit and they told me there is an app for phone. i dont have a phone that takes apps.i think fitbit should have thier devices capable of giving the data to my microsoft windows vista programs. if they cant transmit info without adobeflash or an app. they should do something to comunicate with windows, otherwise i do not have the features from fitbit that i wanted when i purchased my charge hr

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

These requests started in early 2014 (or even earlier), and your website is still depending on Flash. When are you going to get rid of it? Or at least release a statement that you are working on it.....most of the graphs in the premium version depend on Flash, this is utterly ridiculous in today's times where flash is notorious for being a significant security risk. Browser companies like eg Firefox sometimes even turn off support of flash due to security concerns.

PLEASE GET RID OF FLASH, OR AT LEAST TELL US THAT YOU WILL!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

With all the recent security vulnerabilities that are present in Adobe Flash, the majority of companies are ousting it from their sites and most users will have removed it from their PCs. As your Premium Service is dependent upon Flash, it would make a lot of commercial sense to remove it. A paid for service dependent upon software with known security vulnerabilities? Come on Fitbit, sort it out!

Otherwise, I'd expect lots of requests for refunds from new Premium customers...

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I do not have Flash installed on my devices and have disabled it from Chrome as it is a security nightmare. Please get current with the times and replace it with HTML5 as I am unable to see relevant sections of the website showing the graphs for my fitbit.

This may be the single cause for returning the device in the next days... I prefer seing dashboards on my big computer screen than on a small iPhone screen...

rogue_monster
First Steps

I am paying for Premium and feel pretty cheated by your use of Flash. Its such a security cesspool I turn it off in the browser and now there's a bunch of stuff not available to me. I will not renew Premium if this situation exists at renew time.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
I had not realized that Premium requires Flash. Knowing that I have changed my mind and will not subscribe to it.
TJ1
Recovery Runner

How much more support is needed for Fitbit to make the decision to change?  Please do it now.

webbj74
First Steps

Adobe Flash has never been secure and FitBit should switch to another solution. I disabled Flash years ago, and will not allow it on any of my devices.

SimonB2
Jogger

It could be worse. Fitbit could have used java or (shudder) silverlight 😉

But yes get rid of flash ASAP please.

TomballTX
First Steps

I concur. Please stop using Flash. I've uninstalled it on my iMac and MacBook Air. It's too insecure and too power hungry. No, I don't use or want to use Chrome.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Adobe Flash is absolute crap. Your site is showing its age in coninuing to use Flash.  You should be moving away from Flash like its on fire. Take note that most quality sites of good quality have already ditched Flash.

Half of your product is the dashboard and it looks like hell on my Mac.

TomballTX
First Steps

Note: You iOS app doesn't use Flash. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

The new dashboard does not use Flash. But the food logging screen still does. Fortunately, it still works if you don't have Flash installed. It's just ugly.

So the site is partway there.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Adobe confirms major Flash vulnerability, and the only way to protect yourself is to uninstall Flash

http://bgr.com/2015/10/15/adobe-flash-player-security-vulnerability-warning/

lattera
Premium User
First Steps

I'm running HardenedBSD and Flash isn't even an option for me. Switching the web application to HTML5 would allow me to actually make use of the site.

DCS801
Jogger

Agree that "Flash Player" should/could be eliminated as a requirement for some Dsahboard features.

With all of the security issues with "Flash" seen in the past months, replacing it should be a priority.

kirbykins
Jogger

I've uninstalled Flash from all my desktop computers and encourage all my friends to do the same. This may not have as many votes as other requests, but it is more important by far for the security of your users. I understand that it will take development time, but this is critical!

dmitri8
Recovery Runner

Looks like it won't become a real priority for them until someone's security actually gets compromised because they kept Flash in order to be able to see their Fitbit account page. :rolleyes:

@TJ1: "How much more support is needed for Fitbit to make the decision to change?" -- Indeed!  Especially this kind of easy change that would take a developer less than a week to implement.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I refuse to install adobe flash due to the security & privacy risks, therefore do not get the full benfit of my FitBit stats.

It's frankly a disgrace that it this thread is still open and has yet to be acted upon.

At least have the decency to respond to your customers concerns.

dmitri8
Recovery Runner
Pmenkel
First Steps
I expect that others have asked for this but I just started using Fitbit and it appears that it has not been addressed. I like it a lot but a roadblock for me seeing some of my data is the requirement of Adobe flash support on the webpage. Please switch to a different technology than flash.
Thanks,
Phil
wisco.disco
First Steps

Wow, you're still using flash?  Unthinkable, absurd! 

Berntsen
First Steps

I second this, move away from Flash. Use Javascript or the likes if need be, but move away from flash, please.

Mark76247
First Steps

Just adding to the long list of requests to remove all Flash requirements from the site. Really don't understand what's taking so long, or the apparent lack of a planned timeline. At least tell us you're working on it.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.