Get rid of Adobe Flash Player from the website

Please rewite the Dashboard and Log on the web site using non-Flash technology, preferably HTML5.

Flash is too much of a resource hog on desktops and doesn't run on iOS devices.

Thanks.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

260 Comments
Jackiedog11
First Steps
I view the Fitbit website on my IPad. I cannot view the graphs because Adobe Flash is not supported. Is Adobe Flash player your only option?

Thanks.
Yvonnejones
Jogger
I can't get sleep reports except weekly, can't graph and can't print because Adobe Flash is required but is not compatible with IOS.
Kayli
First Steps

It's been over two years now since this suggestion was first introduced here; is Fitbit planning on moving away from Flash? Has progress been made? The use of Flash and lack of communication from Fitbit regarding the issue is a little troubling. 

dmitri8
Recovery Runner

Maybe they're waiting for someone's computer to actually get hacked into because of this?  Ya know, like putting on a seatbelt after an accident... Smiley Frustrated

I'd do it for them for free if they'd let me.  It is ridiculously easy to do; they already have JQuery happening, just go to http://www.flotcharts.org/ and do it already, people!

Kayli
First Steps
"by dmitri8

Maybe they're waiting for someone's computer to actually get hacked into because of this? Smiley Frustrated"

Security is only one element, although probably the most important one. Flash player also suffers from instability and can have high resource usage. There's also the fact that iOS devices don't support Flash, neither does Android 4.0 and above. More and more people are dropping Flash player from their desktops and laptops every day. I don't understand why Fitbit doesn't seem to be moving away from Flash after all this time when there are clearly better solutions out there that would make their users happy.  Fitbit is the only place I go on the internet that still requires Flash player.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Flash has been removed from the new dashboard. It's still present on the food logging screen, but you can still use the screen with flash disabled. So that's a small step. I've removed flash completely from my computers, and the site is still usable. 

dmitri8
Recovery Runner

"I don't understand why Fitbit doesn't seem to be moving away from Flash after all this time when there are clearly better solutions out there"

it is especially frustrating since on their main Dashboard page all those flashy graphics AND charts (e.g. 'Steps') are NOT using Flash!  It's only those 4 or 5 charts on the 'Account' page, AFAIK.  It's not like their entire site is written in Flash; it's just a few simple charts...

Av8rix
Stepping Up

Well, I just got my Fitbit Charge HR yesterday. Apparently the malignant and obsolete Flash Player is required to view the sleep graph on the dashboard – perhaps others features too, though I haven’t checked. That’s disturbing.

But perhaps what is even more disturbing is that the devs have NEVER provided input to this thread that I see is >2 years old. And that’s a sad commentary on the corporation’s attitude toward its customers. JMO.

msolominow
Stepping Up

Just want to add my voice to the litany of users requesting Fitbit get rid of Flash on their website. After Lord knows how many times the Flash plugin has brought my computer to a grinding halt I've finally made the leap to disable it. If Fitbit can't get rid of its dependence on Flash for it's web site soon I certainly will consider another brand of fitness tracker when I am looking into replacing my Charge HR...

Norwestr
First Steps

Adding to the pile-on.  Please get rid of Flash for the Friends charts!  I have friendly competitions with my friends and I just want to be able to see my their current daily steps.  With Flash I can't see this info on my Android devices.  At this point my next device will not be a Fitbit...

Iain53
Jogger

If FitBit were to get hacked and have user data compromised, because they continue to use Flash, I think they would find themselves liable for damages.  Being a technology company, they know that they are using an insecure, high risk technology and cannot plead ignorance.

As another fitness related company has famously said; "Just DO It."

Hannab4
Jogger
STILL Flash is preventing us from using premium membership? This is making me wonder if I need to drop Fitbit and switch to another brand that works with my iPhone.
crossworm
First Steps

Not going to be paying for premium membership until flash is gone - in fact can't believe it's still on here. Should have checked  - if I'd known I'd have gone for a garmin instead of my new blaze.

Poor show for a company this big to be so out of date!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
I couldn't see any recent entries but some of the graphs don't show as IPads don't use flash.

What's titbits view and will you be upgrading the software to get rid of them?
SunsetRunner
Not applicable
Sorry should be fitbits aarg autocorrect!!!
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

This should be a no brainer.

Adobe Flash has doesn't run on iOS, Android, and Linux, without using third party browsers and old insecure versions of flash. It is a memory good and on its way out. 

dmitri8
Recovery Runner
I think everyone on this thread should file a bug report with them about
this issue, maybe *then* Fitbit would at least acknowledge this as a
legitimate problem...?
MekliCZ
Recovery Runner

Please, remove Flash from rest of dashboard such as graphs. I activated premium trial and I can't see anything just because I'm not going to install Flash. Flash will die in few years, let's be step ahead! 🙂

First Steps

Just upgraded my membership to Premium and am feeling a little cheated... I'm an all Apple user. What to do about seeing premium graphs on Mac (macbook pro OSX El Capitan)? Would be nice to have native apps for iPad (mini3) and iPhone (6sPlus), but give me at least one platform!

Zimbra224
First Steps
No flash please. This is 2016. People know better now.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

There's no way that I will buy a premium membership as long as Flash is required.

Any company that can't develop a website without Flash probably has financial or management troubles brewing.

ATD
First Steps
I use my Fitbit with my Iphone. I shouldn't have to pull out my computer in order to view my data because I need to use Adobe. If many of the other graphs can be viewed without a computer, it should be possible to program the other data that way too.
I also have a premium membership which provides increased data but a lot of that requires a computer. It doesn't make sense to require Adobe to view that data.
dmitri8
Recovery Runner

Meanwhile...

"Google is phasing out Adobe Flash in its popular Chrome web browser."

http://fortune.com/2016/05/16/google-chrome-adobe-flash/

"Google hopes the move will encourage more sites and developers to adopt HTML5 as the web’s standard for displaying multimedia."

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

A few thoughts

• Flash was removed from Android a year plus ago, it requires running the Flash Fox browser, and an old insecure flash player.
  • The iOS does not run Flash out of the box and requires the Puffin browser.
  • Most security experts say to completly remove flash from the computer, that is unless there is an absolute need for it.
  • It is just to insecure.
  • HTML 5 is the new standard, and is easy more secure.
  • HTML 5 works on all devices Linux, iOS, Mac, and Window$
konaya
Stepping Up

Flash wasn't even an acceptable design decision when this thread started. Now, over two years later, it is just laughable. Perhaps you should implement a GUI with frames and animated GIFs as well? Then you would at least look the part, instead of appearing to be a modern web service before throwing Flash in our faces.

The last time any official left a mark on this thread was over a year ago, when @zapleahy changed the status to Reviewed By Moderator. From the side menu:

Reviewed By Moderator: We hear you, and have conveyed your comments to developers for review.

We hear you. Yeah, no. You don't. You really don't. It doesn't take a year to convey a comment. You have hundreds of paying customers who have bought your gear expecting to make full use of them but can't, simply because your web service isn't compatible with modern devices, and you stonewall them for a year.

Either you will abolish Flash, or you won't. Although you would be idiots of the highest order if you chose not to, the decision is yours to make. However, don't give paying customers the silent treatment just because you can't own up to it.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.