Google Play Music App on Fitbit devices

I'm hoping for support of Google music on the ionic and versa, or even a quick app which will allow you to control songs and explore playlists remotely on the watch.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

109 Comments
DJongeling
First Steps

Incorporating Google Music Player into the Ionic would be a great help. That adds some by playlist to the Moto 360 so the coding could be added to update by WiFi.

Thank you

Moderator Edit: Title for Clarity

Lexyluvu2
First Steps

I would love if I could control my music from my fitbit ionic. I also have the blaze and this feature is on that tracker. How could you miss that very important feature for this beautifully made tracker. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I reached out to the guy behind music boss on the pebble and android wear.  As there I no companion app he won't be able to develop the same application for the ionic.  For now I won't be using the music function on the ionic.  Which reminds me I need to log the bugs I've had with music straight to headset 

BlackCat7
Recovery Runner

Google play music is widely used and should be incorporated into the Ionic

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

still hoping for something, i have noticed Switchr has appeared which has some IFTT triggers, looking to see if i can make something from that to control the music player.

Squeaks1222
First Steps

Would it be possible to add Google play as a music app to the Ionic?

Ioscipescu
Jogger

Not being able to skip to the next song, pause music, or start playing the active music app is disappointing.  I understand the music integration that exists, but I am on Android and am fully integrated into Google Music.  Simple control music functions for people that do not want to transfer music to the watch seems like a requirement.  Is there some exclusive agreement with Pandora that is preventing it?

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

I would add your vote to the existing suggesrion @Squeaks1222

Mitch1289
Jogger

Google Play Music could be a great option for Ionic! Ticwatch in Tokyo managed to get Google Play on their watches - with a downloaded option only for music.

Admittedly, Ticwatch partnered with Google.

But let's get behind this idea! I don't use iTunes or Windows Media Player on my computer.

sstrich
First Steps

please allow the ionic to stream music from other services such as Google Music or Spotify. 

I deleted my Pandora account a long time ago in favor of Google Music because of the wider features available in the service.

I know that Pandora is definitely in the minority of music apps that are used - why was this the one that was chosen to pair with the Ionic?

It also seems silly that there is only one music service available. 

Ioscipescu
Jogger

I can only imagine there was some exclusivity agreement signed with Pandora to the disadvantage of all other music services.  Heck, I just want tot be able to control my Google music app on my watch, but even that basic smartwatch functionality is missing from the Ionic.

4wDProgr3ss
First Steps

I agree with this. I have paid for both Pandora and Google Play Music streaming services. Google Play Music is easier to customize and does a better job in picking music that sets the mood for my workouts. It seems to know the right type of music to play for my tastes better than Pandora. Pandora is good, I just prefer Google's setup more. 

vicky23
First Steps

Please make IONIC use Spotify

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful for lots of users, thanks for sharing this suggestion.

KentW
Recovery Runner

Anything with downloadable music very quickly gets repetitive by hearing the same songs over and over.

Adding Google play music by contrast if you play an artist radio station that plays their songs plus other similar artists ... the music never gets old and is always fresh. 

This would be a huge step forward for the Ionic music capability.

dschmidt04
First Steps

Please bring Google Play music to iconic. Pandora is the only service that doesnt offer a family share account. Please please please!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Have you guys noticed with Fitbit os2. We now have Deezer for offline, playlist sync.  Sign up for the free trail. See what you think of it.  If not, there are workaround to get music from Google play. But you will need a rooted device.

Ioscipescu
Jogger
Rooted Android or rooted FitBit Ionic? I cannot believe they do not have
"on-phone" music controls with this "smart" watch yet!
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

If you have a rooted android phone it's possible to save music from Google music. Then transfer to the pc, to transfer to the watch. 

Deezer is an easier way though. Give it a try as it's offering 3 months trial 

Ioscipescu
Jogger
I already pay for the Google Music family plan. I'm fully "rooted" into
that ecosystem, and have no plans or desire to change. I am surprised
Fitbit decided to take the proprietary route in this regard. The Pebbles
music controls controlled both Google Play and Audible with no problems --
generically.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Please add more music choices to the Ionic. I already pay for Google Play Music and do not want to pay for another service in order to use music on my Ionic. This really limits the functionality of the Ionic.

AnotherUser
First Steps

If Ionic supports google play music I'd be so happy! 

justingiffard
Stepping Up

this would be an awesome feature. Please and thank you

P0ffee
Recovery Runner

This would be great for Ionic and for Versa

markrash
Jogger

I also vote for bringing Google Play Music support to Fitbit Versa. I already pay for Google Play Music and am completely satisfied with it's service (it also includes YouTube Red), so I have no desire or need to change music streaming services. The Bluetooth classic option sometimes interferes with regular Fitbit syncing on my Galaxy S7, so it would be great to have native support. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.