Heart rate zones alert feature

Many fitness enthusiasts and individuals of whom base their workouts on target heart rate zones would really appreciate a heart rate alert feature implemented into the new Fitbit Ionic as well -if possible ALL Fitbit watches. This feature would allow a Fitbit user to manually set their Fitbit watch to alert the user once their targeted maximum and minimum heart rate has been achieved while performing a workout. Â The watch would vibrate on the user's wrist alerting the user when their selected heart rate has been accomplished or met allowing the user to more cater their workouts to stay within a selected threshold. Â Implementing this feature will also serve well as a safety feature which can alert the user when their calculated heartrate is dangerously high or above the maximum threshold that they set enabling the user to adjust their workout accordingly. Â Some Fitbit users I can imagine and many other individuals have cardiovascular/heart related issues which prevent them engaging in a workout that is too intense therefore a heart rate alert feature implemented into the new Fitbit Ionic would make the watch more marketable to the present customer base, a broader audience of fitness enthusiasts, and desirable to a whole new market of individuals of whom have cardiovascular/heart issues and will really appreciate a heartrate alert feature implemented into their fitness/activity trackers. Overall, implementing this feature will likely increase popularity of the watch, increase revenue, and appeal to a wider range of individuals that are taking steps to improve their health through daily workouts but are limited to what they can do due to cardiovascular/heart concerns. Â Implementing this feature can likely be as simple as have software engineering add it to a software/firmware update which will allow it to perform identical to the silent/vibrating alarm feature already included in most Fitbit watches anyhow.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity, format & labels.

1,448 Comments
mthughes
Jogger
Well... I just noticed an ad to preorder the new Fitbit 4 and according to the ad, it does include this feature... I’ll be **ahem**ed if I order it though at the moment. I’m pessimistic, but it might be included in a future software update to support the new Fitbit 4... have to wait and see.
dwights
Jogger

@mthughes  - agreed.  I would like to see it in action before replacing my fitbit charge2.  if they -do- release it, perhaps a backport of the feature, too, maybe?  though i'd still consider an upgrade, having to only wear a fitbit charge4 during a run, instead of also carrying phone for gps signal/recording, would be nice. 

Mapoli
Jogger
Disclaimers are always issued to CYA. FITBIT can do that as well. Very frustrating. I have not looked at Charger4 and have no intentions because of the lack of responsiveness from this company. No more Fitbits for me! WHile less expensive, not providing the info I'm looking for. Too Bad.

Mike P!!!
CarlosHC
Keeping Pace

I've just bought and set up my Charge 3 (my first fitness tracker) first and foremost with the aim of tracking my heart rate in real time. All the other bells and whistles I've no real interest in and most I could do on a free phone app, but knowing I was working in a heart rate zone whilst jogging or doing other cardio is important to me. So I'm pretty shocked to find that a so-called premium brand like Fitbit are selling a tracker for 90 English pounds that doesn't have any alert features to let you know when you go out of your HR zone. Especially when it does allow you to enter a heart rate zone on the app - and even more so when it does have a vibrating feature on the watch itself! 

I can only assume they're saving this feature for another, more expensive model, as the technology is already there and only an update away. The problem for Fitbit though is that a lot of customers like myself will be put off buying their products in the future. Still, I guess they've already factored that into the profit margin.

Sigh.

SleepyMare
Recovery Runner

Since starting with fitbit following diagnosis of OSA (obstructive sleep apnoea) I have increased my exercise but now, two months in find it impossible to reach peak, mostly because I have to stop to see how I am doing. If there was a notification like a couple of buzzes one would know and have confidence and motivation to carry on.

Skirabbit
Recovery Runner

Anyone know if this feature will be available on the new charge 4 - from what i can read NOT but I am hoping I am wrong..

Can anyone from Fitbit do the right and respectful thing and respond to your customers?? Positive or negative it doesn't matter, just show enough respect to your clients to respond to >6.5k requests for this feature?

My charge 3 is on its last legs and I would buy the charge 4 in a heartbeat if it had this feature - but until then not giving Fitbit another cent. Anyone found an alternative company that offers this feature? The closest I have seen is the new apple watch? I am looking for continuous heart rate monitoring with alarms. Thanks

Skirabbit
Recovery Runner

So whilst the FITBIT representatives on this site are notoriously useless at giving any kind of response on this feature the Italian FITBIT facebook page responded that this feature will be available via your smartphone app for the charge 4 and all the FITBIT smartwatches - I will believe it when I see it but here's hoping....not the ideal solution but maybe better than nothing

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @SleepyMare. Thanks for explaining why you'd like to set notifications when a peak heart rate is reached with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post hereThe status of this request has been updated as "Under Consideration", so don't forget to add your vote to show your support! To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Mapoli
Jogger
How long has it been under consideration?

Sent from Xfinity Connect Application
GeorgieSnow
Base Runner
Who knows? I’ve been part of this chain since 2018 but it’s been around much longer. It’s irrelevant now anyway. Short of Fitbit activating the feature tomorrow there’s nothing more to be said. Their promises are hollow, meaningless piffle.
MSav
First Steps

For some reason won’t let me upvote this idea (is it closed?) but I can’t believe this isn’t a standard feature on all fitbit HR watches already. Seems pretty obvious to include a feature that notifies you when you’re out of your HR zone for health, safety, awareness, and control. Please implement this for the Inspire HR. Keeping within the HR range I set is the whole reason I got this watch and then I find out that I need to constantly be glancing at my watch (which isn’t even plausible in some forms of exercise) to keep within my target zone.

MSav
First Steps

Does anyone here know if there’s any way to turn heart rate alerts on your phone at least? The information that I’ve found online seems to indicate no.

Skirabbit
Recovery Runner
so I understand that on the fitbit charge 4 a vibration feature is coming -
you fitbit will vibrate when you enter your target zone - so you will be
able to bastardise this capability as an alarm by setting it to go off at
whatever level you want. I got bout the charge4 soley because I was assured
by fitbit in italy this feature was coming and today I got an update saying
it is available - not had the chance to see how to activate it yet
Skirabbit
Recovery Runner
apparently coming for the charge 4 and the smart watches as a phone app
setting - so not on the fitbit but on the phone 🙂 so I have been told
g0ldiemac
Jogger

I find the heart rate zone notifications potentially useful, but quite annoying in their current form. As it stands, the device produces the same vibration across all three zones no matter whether going up or down in intensity.

When I'm performing an activity, the lack of distinction among the notifications makes it tantamount to noise, and thus not a useful signal I can recognize without having to lift my wrist and look at the device (please note I ride a bike and prefer to keep both hands on the handlebars).  

Suggestion:  Would it be possible for the world-class dev team to make a simple modification to the vibrations? Can any change into a higher zone be indicated by two vibrations, and can any change that puts the user back into a lower zone be indicated by one vibration?  As there are only three zones and based on the fact that the readout is tied directly to the amount of exertion; it'd be fairly easy to discern my current zone where that modification implemented.  Even if going into the Peak Zone got three vibrations that would work, because it's unique and I'd know instantly whether to push harder or ease up.

Kimgeloneck
Recovery Runner

Versa 2 needs am EKG on it.  Heart rate is good but seeing the rhythm would be great. I want to be able to see irregular beats.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @g0ldiemac, thanks for explaining why you would like to have heart rate zones alert feature. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Under Consideration". You can learn more about it here. Keep adding these suggestions.

g0ldiemac
Jogger

@YojanaFitbit Can you provide any input on a potential time table?  What are the stages in the process?  What comes after, "Under Consideration?" Moreover, what is needed to elicit action from the dev team?  

Quick Math:

6,356 votes X $149.99 (estimated FitBit spend) = $947,044 in estimated revenue for FitBit.

All we're asking for is one fairly simple feature to be reviewed, its merits weighed, and hopefully implemented.  If the team doesn't feel as if our request warrants their time they could at least say no.  The endless purgatory of Under Consideration forever is a bit untoward.  

Feliz viernes.

Signorcrazy
Jogger

My mother and my father are wearing Fitbit for a while, but they are not able to check by themself how the heart is going up and down. I do not live with them, so I cannot check their smartphone.

At the moment I log in to their dashboard and try to read data from my laptop, but this is complicated because I need to login to their account every time and check their trend. 

Is there a 3rd part app or a possibility to collect their Fit-bit data? It would be great if it also had the ability to set an alarm in case the heart bit is high or based on some given rules.

Can you advise me some app to connect with Fitbit but I need to connect more account (at least 2)? 

You gave Fitbit to your family but how do you track their healthy trend?

Any suggestions are welcome.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Signorcrazy, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see heart rate zones alert feature. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Under Consideration". You can learn more about it here. Keep adding these suggestions.

Mapoli
Jogger
It's been under consideration for years. Please do something.

Mike P!!!
Bullcrappy
Recovery Runner

They probably put it in the Charge 4... they don't really care of follow this. 

AXELTI
Jogger

@YojanaFitbit welcome to this site, with a long list of useless moderators,    and you are  exception. I wrote a detailed product specification  1 year ago problem is that nobody cares.  👍👍👍

Status changed to: Released
MattFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone! We’re very happy to let you know that this feature has been released on Charge 4. You can find more details on Active Zone Minutes alerts in this help article. For more information on Charge 4 and its new features, click here

Huge shoutout to @kingtut1975! In recognition of your excellent suggestion, each of your votes will now count as 5 votes – you have the power! We know this suggestion has been one of our most popular so thanks to everyone who voted and commented for your enthusiasm which has now materialized for everyone’s benefit. We hope you all enjoy this new addition to the Fitbit feature set.

Master10
Recovery Runner

@MattFitbit is it good news?

All of us bought charge 3

And some of us have this band less then 3 month

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.