Idle Alert

I would love to have an "Idle Alert" feature added where the device would vibrate if you've been idle for a certain length of time.

Moderator edit: Added labels.

1,041 Comments
rerose1975
First Steps

Just bumping this up, I'd love this feature.  Since we already have an alarm feature, this shouldn't be a hard add.

Bonnie1man
First Steps

Totally agree - should be able to select the times that it's in active mode or it should turn off automatically in sleep mode, frequency of alerts if idle for 45 or 60 min for example, I'm most interested in being sure I don't sit for more than 1 hour without getting up and moving around.  

George007
Jogger

@Laura10 wrote:

I would love to have an "Idle Alert" feature added where the device would vibrate if you've been idle for a certain length of time.

I too am really looking for this feature. Do we have a time frame of when and if it could be added?

Moderator edit: format

Status changed to: Under Consideration
Justin
Powerwalker

Justin
Powerwalker

@All - 

Thanks for the continued feedback and great idea! We are always trying to improve our products and discover different ways to encourage our Fitbit users to meet their goals.

Justin
Powerwalker

Justin
Powerwalker

EdNap
Recovery Runner

Sounds like a really good expansion to the original idea.

jameskeithv
Jogger

please do this because I need it very very much.

hopefully not just for the force but also for the flex (for I have a flex)

ianlitmans
Stepping Up

The new Garmin Vivofit has this feature.   Wish my Force had it.

We're a Fitbit family.  Wife, flex; son, force, dogs, zips.  If I wasn't so vested in Fitbit, I might move to Garmin for that feature and that it's a one year battery.

Laura10
Strider

I actually bought a Jawbone Up specifically for this feature. I wear it daily along with my Fitbit One.

Woodrd
First Steps

I came here to post this idea too.  There are a lot of studies that show that being stationary for long periods of time is really unhealthy.  One study even claims it can be worse for you than smoking!  

being able to set an alarm to remind me to get up and walk around for a few minutes after a user set table amount of time would be a very attractive feature.  You would also have to somehow disable this during sleep times.

Please, please, please add this feature.

schmaltz13
First Steps

Also came here just to suggest this and the Smart Alarm/Power Nap feature that the UP has. Please upvote the "Nap alarms" suggestion (https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Product-Features/Nap-alarms/idi-p/109397) too!

legalbeagle
First Steps

I would love it if the Fitbit would warn me that I had been inactive for a period of time. I work at my computer for hours a day and need a reminder to get up and move around. I have a Force. 

jasonteng
First Steps

agreed, would be beneficial to give a prompt when idle for an extended period of time

jasonteng
First Steps

Agreed!

danielsoo
First Steps

I think this is great idea!! We should have this so that we are also more aware of how sedentary we are. Would be awesome to have!!

TriGeek75
First Steps

I work in employee wellness at a major university hospital and would be much more likely to recommend Fitbit to the many, many employees who spend most of their day at a desk, if it had a vibrating idle alert.  The Jawbone UP's idle alert is a fantastic feature, but I hesitate to recommend them because of the hardware issues.  (And a personal pet peeve, I don't like that the Up locks you into one color.)  The Nike Fuelband and Garmin Vivofit have purely visual inactivity alerts that are pretty useless if you aren't actually looking at the band or if it's covered by your sleeve, so I hesitate to recommend them as well.  People have been asking for this feature for a very long time, I think it's a real shame that Fitbit hasn't offered it sooner.

cyclegirl
Runner

That would be an excellent addition.

Sjoera
Recovery Runner

I would love to have that feature too. I was doubting to buy a Jawbone because it had this feature, I finally decided to go for the Fitbit One after reading many reviews. The One already has the hardware for it, some adjustments to the app would make this possible I think. I have a desk job and I already had a thrombosis, so it's very important for me to get up and walk around regularly. It would be great if the One could help me with that!

KellieCobern
Recovery Runner

This feature would be an awesome addition to the Fitbit!!   One of the reasons that I purchased my One was to see how little I am actually moving throughout the day.   Since I have a desk job, sometimes I end up sitting for over an hour at a time without getting up.   The reminder to get up for a minute would be nice!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I love my Flex - it really has helped me to log and visualise my activity through the day and to improve my general fitness. However, to be even better, it should have an optional inactivity alarm.

This is a feature that several competitor trackers already have: the Jawbone, Withings Pulse and the new Garmin tracker all feature the ability to warm the wearer that they have been inactive and sedentary after a set period of time - moptivating you to get up and move around either by a vibration, flashing 'health bar' or some other alarm. Encouraging you to move after an hours innactivity in order to reset your metabolism matches current NEAT research, and should presumably be relatively easy to incorporate into most of the FitBit range; we already have alarms when you hit a goal, or wake you up - why not an inactivity one too?

David 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Absolutely - just posted a similar request. Withings, Garmin and Jawbone all have inactivity alarms, and it's an amazingly useful feature - adding it to the FitBit would really make it the ultimate tracker.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
Looks like several others have the same idea: I had posted a request for the same: "I love my Flex - it really has helped me to log and visualise my activity through the day and to improve my general fitness. However, to be even better, it should have an optional inactivity alarm. This is a feature that several competitor trackers already have: the Jawbone, Withings Pulse and the new Garmin tracker all feature the ability to warm the wearer that they have been inactive and sedentary after a set period of time - moptivating you to get up and move around either by a vibration, flashing 'health bar' or some other alarm. Encouraging you to move after an hours innactivity in order to reset your metabolism matches current NEAT research, and should presumably be relatively easy to incorporate into most of the FitBit range; we already have alarms when you hit a goal, or wake you up - why not an inactivity one too?"
Swampster
Jogger

Yep, I came here to suggest this idea... and it seems I'm a late comer to the party, so I'll just add my voice to the clamour calling for this srely simple to add feature!? 🙂

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.