Integration with Strava.com and Strava app

Dear FitBit:

I know there are a lot of FitBit users who would really like FitBit to be compatabile with the Strava.com website and app.  Currently FitBit works with RunKeeper, MapMyRun (and MapMyRide), but not with Strava.  Strava provides much more details than RunKepper and MapMyRun and is also a more bike-friendly app than MapMyRide.  I posted this same request on your Facebook and have sent emails to you as well.  As you can see from your forum and from googling "FitBit sync to Strava" there are many people complaining that this is not already a feature.  PLEASE PLEASE work on this feature..... it would be very welcomed and only make me more of a FitBit supporter.

Sincerely,
Randy Wood
A FitBit Surge Owner / Biker / Runner

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

48 Comments
ryanmdoyle
First Steps

I agree with evertything above.  Even if it was just heart rate data, how great would it be to be able to go cycling and view your heart rate data along with the ride? I bought the Charge HR with the mindset that this would be possible at SOME point, but here I am 4 months later thinking it may never happen.  I love my Charge, but if it broke in a few months (which I don't think it would but still...) I would look at something that I could use with Strava.

Pmannu
Jogger
Hi would second the idea of integrating with strava or any cycling app. It would then make the fitbit HR more than a very expensive pedometer. Currently it effectively ignores (or partly as it think I am walking) cycling up to 100km a week!
FrancescoC
Stepping Up

Dear fitbit,

please listen to all your clients and integrate Strava with Fitbit: it will be the perfect combination!

Thanks!

FrancescoC
Stepping Up
Kenshushu01
Stepping Up

This will be great if i can use this update on the Strava app in the future.  I have the Fitbit HR and would love to see intergration into the Strava app showing my heart rate while i bike or run.  The Fitbit Surge is to bulky but the Fitbit HR is a perfect size for 24 hour use.  I think it is the best tracker out there when you consider the overall size.  I am one who does not like anything on my wrist but the Fitbit Hr is a comfortable fit and i sometimes forget I'm wearing it.  

Thank you!! 

saxmanio85
First Steps

+1 Fitbit integration with Strava is the only thing holding me back from buying a fitbit. I would like to see the HR monitor link to the Strava app, so I can see what my body is doing while I run and cycle.

Pmannu
Jogger
Completely agree with you. Currently I am having to use endomondo to register the calorie burn but I don't see why they can't simply add cycling to the exercise section and as you rightly say Strava is the go to app for road bikers. I've had to abandon it as a result of lack of compatability
mcm3311
Tempo Runner

Have been using the Beta Strava integration.

Syncs really well from Fitbit to Strava. GPS Track, heart rate, distance all import into Strava beautifully.

However syncing from Strava to fitbit dashboard is dismal, looks like only distance and time imports into the Fitbit Dashboard. No GPS track, heart rate, no altitude information is imported to Fitbit.

Somehow FitBit makes a calorie burn number from this limited data that does not match the Strava numbers. I tend to trust the Strava numbers more as it has more information for the calculation.

Pmannu
Jogger
Thanks for notifying me sounds like they are almost there. Likewise trust strata way more. How do I get onto beta. More than happy to join service. Endomondo just isn't good enough.

Thanks
Paul

Forgive me for inadvertent spelling errors. Written via my Mobile.

All emails are virus checked prior to delivery.
mcameron
First Steps

I'd love to beta test as well. I'm using the running mode on the surge 2/day 5 days/week and I miss having the data in strava (used a gramin before).

mcm3311
Tempo Runner

@Pmannu @mcameron Use this link to enable Strava integration.

http://strava.fitbit.com/

Pmannu
Jogger
I know well done. Going to use it in Saturday. You need this.

Paul
Trevor_Harris
Base Runner

Hey all,

So if I record a cycling or run activity on my fitbit, I relaly like how it transfers to Strava, that works well. However, the opposite isn't true. As a test I didn't start any activity on my watch and just recorded the activity on my phone. It took a little while, but the activity did show up in my fitbit feed with one problem - there was no map! Why would this possibly be the case? Fitbit shares the map data to Strava, but it can't work backwards? Further, there is no option to upload a GPX file or something similar into Fitbit. Strava intergration is so close to being perfect with this one flaw. Thanks for Reading!

Trevor

Gazzaw
First Steps
Strava integration
AdamDaze
First Steps

You need to allow strava to natively import the heart rate details. This is a huge deal breaker for me.

Being able to import .tcx and .gpx files is a must-have for a fitness platform. Meanwhile all competitors (Strava, Runtastic, Garmin) offer that. IMHO it's a must-have. I am really looking forward to having that feature in Fitbit.

What's more: the API (https://dev.fitbit.com/docs/activity/#activity-logging) does not even allow to write your own importer. While you can export activies as .tcx (https://dev.fitbit.com/docs/activity/#get-activity-tcx), there is no option to POST .tcx data. That's not very consistent. Since the get-activity-tcx API is still beta, I hope they will also add a POST method to it.

RunTrails
Base Runner

Just noticed this is set up.  Going to try it this week!

Status changed to: Released
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @RandyWood84 we just wanted to update you that the Strava app will be pre-loaded on Fitbit Ionic, so it will be immediately available after setting up your device in the Fitbit app. You can learn more about Ionic and it’s new features, like an app gallery, music and payments here: www.fitbit.com/ionic.  Thank you so much for your suggestion and for taking the time to share your ideas to help us make trackers better.

Status changed to: Released
MatthewFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @RandyWood84 we just wanted to update you that the Strava app will be pre-loaded on Fitbit Ionic, so it will be immediately available after setting up your device in the Fitbit app. You can learn more about Ionic and it’s new features, like an app gallery, music and payments here: www.fitbit.com/ionic.  Thank you so much for your suggestion and for taking the time to share your ideas to help us make trackers better.

SarahFloss
First Steps

Although this has been marked as 'implemented', Strava does not actually sync with Fitbit as far as I can see... Anything I upload to Strava (via Garmin) is sent through to the Strava app of my Versa 2, but the exercise itself (GPS runs/rides) are not sent to the exercise section and so do not count towards my daily stats unless I log manually. Would be grateful if anyone can tell me otherwise. I know that there are no plans to link Garmin/Fitbit, but was hoping that Strava would be a bridge.

Buzzoggy
First Steps
Please can Fitbit and Strava sync again?
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Buzzoggy, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to connect with Strava. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Existing Feature". You can read more about this here:

In case that you need help with this, feel free to post a comment in our help forums: Third-Party Integrations.

I hope to see you around.

jmoneillster
First Steps

Can't believe that my fitbit no longer talks to Strava!  Please resolve the compatibility issue.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.