Keep your original start date on your weight loss goal

Currently, when you reach your weight loss goal (i like to use mini goals so they're more achievable) it'll ask you to submit a new goal. When you do that, the starting date changes to the current date. And then that prevents you from seeing your total weight loss, it just shows --.

However, if I submit a new goal and manually change my start date back to the original start date, it still tells me to insert a new goal. Fitbit needs the ability to insert mini goals while keeping your start date the same, so you can see your total weight loss.

30 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
GraceGFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Nellie_Bell, thanks for taking the time to share your suggestion about the option to have weight mini goals with us! We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates! In the meantime, you can visit our Lifestyle Discussion Forum to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

babblinbrookey
First Steps

I accidentally changed my weight goal, which essentially reset my progress up to that point and started my weight loss from today's date. I'm am such a visual person and seeing that -lbs number was a huge motivator! It would be sooooo wonderful if there was an option to reset the weight goal to a specific weight-in date (I have the scale as well as my Charge 3) or just set your own date if you manually log your weight.

PLEASE add this feature so I can see the total amount of weight lost from the first day.

Status changed to: New
EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

@babblinbrookey Thank you for your suggestion about having the option to maintain the weight loss information when changing the weight goal.

I moved it to this thread to keep this board organized and because it is the same idea.

mtran88
First Steps

Hi, I would like to suggest that there is a way to change the weight loss beginning date.   As of right now, when I go in and change the 'goal', it resets the date to the date that I've changed the goal.  I really like to know how much weight I have lost from the beginning, and not from when I've made a goal change.   I think it would be beneficial if we have that option.  I think it is better if people know that when they started on the fitbit program a few months ago that they have lost a total amount of weight starting then, than today.  It makes me feel better to lose 10lbs from a month ago than seeing that I've lost only .8 lbs from today's date.   Hope that is clear.  Thanks for the consideration! 

EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

@mtran88 Thank you for your suggestion to keep the information from the beginning when changing weight loss goal.

This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here to maintain this board organized.

MeganS1979
First Steps

I reset my weight loss goal which ended up resetting my weight loss start date. They created a ticket to fix it and were unable to do so and let me here to suggest a fix. It now shows today’s date and that I’ve lost 0 pounds!  So frustrating to me that this cannot be corrected. I found the place to fix it but when I scroll to correct the date it just keeps reverting back to today’s date. The FitBit software should be better than this!  All of the fixes in the forum do not help. And FitBit was no help. I can not believe this is not a capability!  It may sound dumb, but I want to get my badges and see my weight loss. It’s motivating!  And I’m frustrated. 

EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @MeganS1979, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us about keeping the original start date when changing the weight loss goal. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here to keep this board organized.

nashtommy
First Steps

Please can you add the ability to see your total weight loss from the start of your weight loss journey... it resets to your current weight every time a new goal is set, which is a bit demoralising... If this is already a feature, please can you advise how to do it. Thank you.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @nashtommy , this is a good idea. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

Gradient
First Steps
Updates to your weight currently should not change calorie calculations in the past.
Giampi71
5K Racer

To me this looks more a bug to fix rather than a suggestion!

EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Gradient, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about preventing weight updates from changing calories calculations in the past, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned.

L-C-B
Recovery Runner

Having the ability to extend your weight loss goal (keep original weight/date), in addition to the option of setting a new goal outright, would be beneficial. Add me to those who have already expressed the desire for this new feature. 

virginialyssa
Jogger

we still desperately need the feature to change weight loss starting date. this used to be allowed, and though it appears you can still change the date, it instead just reverts to the current date. this is frustrating as it makes all prior weight loss seem to disappear, and it's like you're starting over. when trying to lose weight this is very demotivating to feel as though all my hard work was for nothing, and i have to start over from day one. 

mcdonald-m
First Steps

This is such a frustrating 'feature' - I can't believe when I set a new goal it uses today as the start date - so I have lost zero pounds!!  I see people talking about a way to change the start date but I do not see that option.

Jodylu71
First Steps

I totally agree with this suggestion.  I was so bummed when I was asked to set a new goal and all of my previous weight loss was no longer counted.  It's very motivating to see you have lost 10 then 20 then 30lbs ... and now I'm back to 2lbs lost when it's actually 43#.

mcm0852
First Steps

The fact that Fitbit does this is ludicris. I've lost 115 pounds and now it shows 0 because I want to lose more than I originally thought even possible. This happens all the time to people. I mentioned this on a Fitbit forum when it happened to me two years ago also, so it's not like it's a new issue. I cannot express enough how disheartening this is...and it's such an easy thing to fix...basic coding. Come on, Fitbit. Get this taken care of. If I didn't already have so. much data stored in Fitbit, I'd change to Apple...of course, maybe now's a good time since I'm basically starting over. Hmm

AndeeB
Base Runner
Setting up weight goals within the android app (maybe the same for ios app).
If weight goal is reached, system wants you to setup a new goal. When this is done, your 'total weight loss' is reset as per the goal - you now have a new start date and weight lost starts at 0. We should be able to select a earlier weigh in which has the date/time already
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @AndeeB. Thanks for sharing this suggestion about keeping your original start date when setting a new weight loss goal with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to keep the forums organized and make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

Maxwellplum
Jogger
I log my weight each week but would like to see it record what I’ve lost since last weigh in (1lb or 2lb since last weigh in for example) and even better would also be a running total of weight lost since start
1st jan 10.3.
8th jan 10.0 (- 3lb)
15th jan 9.12 (-2lb) = 5lb total so far

Similar to above example, this would help sooo much.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Maxwellplum, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to keep your original start date on your weight loss goal, so you can see your total weight loss.. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

erinerinjoyjoy
First Steps

This is so upsetting! I did something to my goal weight and it automatically set a new start date (today).

I wanted to track how much weight I've lost in 3 months. I've lost 13 lbs the past 2 months, and I still have a month to go.

Now it says I've lost NOTHING and I have the same goal date and weight of next month, but I've lost 0 lbs since today.

How come you can't update to have your start date retroactive. I tried and it won't save!!

AndeeB
Base Runner

@erinerinjoyjoy

Using the fibit app on mobile (I am on android), I found this is the way to get the app to show your total weight loss:

Leave the start date as the current date.

Set your Goal Weight, Body Fat & your starting weight.

The starting weight gets added into your logged weight on the start date, so you can just go and delete this.

The goal progress in the weight section of the app should now show your total weight loss from the Goal Weight you specified HOWEVER, it will also show that you lost that weight from the start date (which is the current date) which is obviously wrong but this is small thing. It is more important for me to see my total weight loss.

Yes it is very annoying.

erinerinjoyjoy
First Steps

Thank you so much! Yeah, I have that (my weight loss from Jan 8 to Feb 12th (today), and I'm learning to be okay with it! 

I just hate seeing that I've only lost 1.7 lbs since 2/10 (2 days ago - the day I re-set everything by mistake). To make things more annoying. I only track my weight every Fri morning, so that 1.7 lbs isn't even from 2 days ago but the Friday before (but Fitbit doesn't have the capability to say that). but woosah. I let it go! I think I had to be upset about it for a day, and then now I'm like whatever!

But really - wow Fitbit, it seems like the tiniest thing to fix, and a huge glitch about the most important part of tracking your weight!

cdfree
Jogger

It's astounding but not surprising that they STILL haven't fixed this. It'd probably take 5 minutes for a coder to fix it but they're too busy devising new and inventive ways to collect and sell your personal information.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.