Live Elevation Data (including changes during run/walk) on Fitbit device

The Surge has this super-fancy barometric altimeter, as well as GPS. This feature is only available on the most top-end navigation devices, yet we don't have access to elevation data. Let's see it!

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

134 Comments
Colmos85
Recovery Runner

I think I'll get a Garmin or other device that can show elevation gain on the device while recording an activity. Pity because the ionic is almost perfect but without this feature it's seriously lacking and behind competition. 

shuffler
Recovery Runner

Yep that is what I am looking for now in spite of the fact that I think my Ionic is almost  perfect the lack of live elevation data is sending me away toward a Garmin, shame really because all it would take for fitbit to give us live elevation data would be a simple software update.

Colmos85
Recovery Runner

I have been looking into it more, found some other exercise apps, one iExercise that was developed based from here: https://github.com/Fitbit/sdk-exercise

I didn't get to look yet what's involved but maybe I can develop exactly what we need.. if I get time 🤔

steverod
Base Runner
On the one hand I agree with you on the live elevation data missing is a big *big* BIG issue (at least for me as a hiker), as a long-time Garmin GPS owner I feel compelled to point out that historically they’re even worse at fit and finish; long standing stability and usability issues stay around forever. (They were just better than their competitors🙁)
Colmos85
Recovery Runner

Well it appears quite easy to get that information, using their "exercise" library. I have it working on an emulator on my laptop. I'll see what's involved in publishing this and get back to you guys

Karen.AK
Recovery Runner

Thank you, it will be interesting

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed

Colmos85
Recovery Runner

https://gallery.fitbit.com/details/982900f2-d52f-4baa-aa45-49ed905c47f6
Heres a link for it but has only one activity, no settings, doesn't auto pause.. very basic.  It would take a lot more time to add these so I cant commit to that right now.
The point is a developer for fitbit could do the same modifications, very easily on the official Fitbit Exercise App.  

Edit: I added auto pause

ShortyHarris99
Recovery Runner

I've been part of several "merged" threads regarding this topic.  I gave up on it over a year ago, Fitbit just doesn't care about it.  I'm done with messing with the Ionic.  Fitbit will never unleash it's full capability for unknown reasons.  3rd party apps don't do what we are asking for.

I just bought a Garmin Fenix 5X during Amazon's Black Friday sale for $299.  It was on backorder and just received it a week ago.  This watch has everything you could ask from a Hiking Activity app, you can custom set all the info you could wish for.  I have mine set to display current elevation, distance traveled, elevation gained, elevation lost, elapsed time, heart rate, and topo map.  Many more variables can be displayed.  When using the track back feature while in the hiking app it adds several more data screens to your hiking app.  I've used it twice this past week and I am just barely scratching the surface of what I can do with the watch.  I recommend watching for sales on the Fenix 5X,  there is now a Fenix 6 so good prices should be found on the 5X.  I can't tell you how impressed I am with the Fenix 5X.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.