Lock screen/buttons during exercise for all Fitbit devices

I've seen similar ideas/feedback noted for the Surge/Blaze and I'd love to see the same sort of thing for the Ionic, I also saw an idea to change the 'stop exercise' button to the (left) hand button on the Ionic which would too be good but would very much prefer a lock screen if possible 🙂

When I'm sometimes performing pushups, boxing, burpees or anything that causes my hand to bend, I've sometimes ended up pushing the bottom right hand button to 'pause' the workout and then sometimes ended up pushing multiple buttons during workouts to end it prematurely.

I'd love it if it were possible to disable the buttons during certain workouts or have some kind of lock screen, maybe even a long-button push option to only unlock the screen when holding one of the buttons for a few seconds etc. At the moment, it's just far too easy to accidentally click the right hand buttons which are tied to pausing/ending workouts.

An idea which would be great would be that my old android watch had, I could turn the screen on with a button although in order to interact any further, I would need to manually swipe away a lock screen (or you could set it up with a PIN each time) and then you'd be able to start/end/pause the workout.

Thanks a lot for reading, really hope this could be considered for a future firmware update Smiley Happy

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

346 Comments
edi_silverhand
First Steps
I think it should be possible to turn off the hold left button option on the Versa. Unlike now, it is only possible to assign a function to it and not completely turn it off.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @edi_silverhand, thanks for sharing this suggestion about being able to lock the buttons on your Versa with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Please click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

nmhouston
First Steps
I would like to be able to securely lock the screen during exercise. It would even be OK to have it locked to one data view (HR or pace etc) as that's probably the easiest way to implement.
Diederik1969
Recovery Runner
Create option to lock the device screen when nessecary, for example when in the shower or playing footbal/hockey etc
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @nmhouston, thanks for sharing this suggestion about being able to lock your Charge 5 screen during your exercise tracking with us. Because this idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Diederik1969, thanks for taking the time to share this idea about being able to lock your Fitbit device with us. It seems this idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Please click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

LowL
Recovery Runner
Due to the current position of the button if you bend your wrist just write you straight you can stop your workout. Move the button to the top or bottom instead of on the side or have a lock feature
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @LowL, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to lock screen/buttons during exercise for Fitbit Versa 3. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. 

To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

RhiF
Jogger
When recording activity, the screen can be accidentally activated and the activity paused/finished without users knowledge. This is very frustrating after a long activity to find out only half is recorded. It is also not possible to access the water lock via menu or see the main clock after starting an activity.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @RhiF, we wanted to let you know that the ideas you recently posted already exist on the Feature Suggestions Board. You can see them here where you can add your vote to those existing suggestions:

Please try to make sure you only post one idea per suggestion, so we can keep the board organized, easily searchable and see which idea other members are voting for. Thanks for participating in Feature Suggestions.

EllesFaber
First Steps
Add a lock screen mode similar to the water lock, to be able to lock the screen during workouts to prevent you from accidentally pausing your workout.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @EllesFaber, thanks for sharing this suggestion about being able to lock the screen and button of your Fitbit device during your exercises with us. Because this idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Please click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

ladylibs
First Steps
Dearest Fitbit, please for the love of God implement a feature that allows users to lock the device during certain exercises. Ideally it would be something as simple as requiring your password to open and pause the workout. It should be significantly harder to pause activities than it currently is.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @ladylibs, thanks for sharing this suggestion about being able to lock the screen and button of your Fitbit device while tracking an exercise with us. We also appreciate your feedback and because this idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. We'll keep tracking this request over time, so please click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

Andek
Jogger
Add a feature that locks the screen for all exercises, not just swimming.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Andek, thanks for sharing this suggestion about being able to lock your Charge 5 screen during your workouts with us. It seems this idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Please click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

WillyWitsche
First Steps
Each Exercise should get an option to lock the screen during Activity. Just as the waterlock mode for example. In order to prevent pausing/finishing the Activity accidentaly.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @WillyWitsche, thanks for sharing this suggestion about being able to lock the screen and button of your Fitbit device during your exercises with us. Because this idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Please click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

Cabradyjr1
First Steps
Depending on certain workouts, my fitbit will exit exercise mode. There needs to be a way to lock the screen/ diasble buttons / or only use the app to turn on or off so it doesn't exit the exercise mode
DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Cabradyjr1, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about the possibility to lock the screen/ disable buttons when in exercise mode. I noticed that a similar feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here, this helps to keeps the boards more organized. Make sure to add your vote as well to support this suggestion, this helps the team of developers to keep track of popularity and demand over time. 

Thank you again for your participation in the Community.

amandasal
First Steps
Please Please Please!
Add a feature to lock the screen during excercise.
I wear the watch while boxing but the glove touches the screen and pauses my excercises, I also have this issue whil doing push ups or any excercise that require similar hand movements, I accidentally hit the button and it pauses the excercise and sometimes ends it.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @amandasal, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about being able to lock the screen and buttons of your Fitbit device during your exercises. We appreciate your feedback and because a similar idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestion board, I’ve moved your post here. Please support this idea by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

ZappyJones
Jogger
This needs to be implemented asap. Every work out I do gets canceled because any light touching of the screen even just from my long sleeve shirt will stop the workout....
DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @ZappyJones, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about the possibility of locking the screen during your exercises. I noticed that a similar feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here, this helps to keeps the boards more organized. Make sure to add your vote as well to support this suggestion, this helps the team of developers to keep track of popularity and demand over time. 

Thank you again for your participation in the Community. 

GT18
First Steps
We need a lock when exercise button
My fit bit stops and starts throughout my HITT classes
I don't have time during them to be readjusting my watch and checking that it hasn't paused
It's infuriating!
Lots of my class find this frustrating with fit bit and lots also don't have this problem with another brand used 🤷‍:female_sign:
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.