Lock screen/buttons during exercise for all Fitbit devices

I've seen similar ideas/feedback noted for the Surge/Blaze and I'd love to see the same sort of thing for the Ionic, I also saw an idea to change the 'stop exercise' button to the (left) hand button on the Ionic which would too be good but would very much prefer a lock screen if possible 🙂

When I'm sometimes performing pushups, boxing, burpees or anything that causes my hand to bend, I've sometimes ended up pushing the bottom right hand button to 'pause' the workout and then sometimes ended up pushing multiple buttons during workouts to end it prematurely.

I'd love it if it were possible to disable the buttons during certain workouts or have some kind of lock screen, maybe even a long-button push option to only unlock the screen when holding one of the buttons for a few seconds etc. At the moment, it's just far too easy to accidentally click the right hand buttons which are tied to pausing/ending workouts.

An idea which would be great would be that my old android watch had, I could turn the screen on with a button although in order to interact any further, I would need to manually swipe away a lock screen (or you could set it up with a PIN each time) and then you'd be able to start/end/pause the workout.

Thanks a lot for reading, really hope this could be considered for a future firmware update Smiley Happy

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

346 Comments
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @AJPMAL, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to lock screen buttons during exercise. This feature suggestion already exists, so I've moved it into a similar request. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

SeaRey7
Jogger

Agree,  please enable feature to disable  soft button during exercises.  

Hazzatron
First Steps
During an activity such as cycling, hiking, running I need the ability to lock the screen and the buttons so I don't accidentally pause an activity without meaning to. Currently, this keeps happening as the screen is always on, ready to pause the activity. It renders the device completely useless and annoying.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Hazzatron, thanks for sharing this suggestion about being able to lock the screen and buttons during exercise with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to keep the forums organized and make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

karant
First Steps

Same. My bike rides don't get fully recorded as it always gets manually paused by the side button. 😞 Please add a function where you can disable side button during exercise or when side button is pressed it does not pause the exercise.

TessavdW
First Steps

I experience the same problem! Super annoying!! 

zeidlern
Jogger
Make the ability to lock all button presses during a workout (walk) or make a button press bring up a screen which then you need to confirm with a different ability (swipe vs press maybe) that you want to pause opposed to it pausing then asking if you want to resume. The current design either auto pauses or accidentally pauses on every work out.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @zeidlern, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to disable side button during workout on Sense. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices.You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

JenG105
Stepping Up
Please enable users to lock the Versa 3 screen during exercise. When I use boxing gloves they interfere with the watch screen and have inadvertently paused my workout.
DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @JenG105thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us about the possibility of enabling users to lock the Versa 3 screen during exercise, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned. This helps to keep the forums more organized. 

Thank you again for your participation in the Community. 

Roaltran
First Steps
Screen lock while using for exercises.
DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Roaltran, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about the possibility of having an option to lock the screen while using it for exercises. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here, this helps to keeps the boards more organized. Make to add your vote as well to support this suggestion, this helps the team of developers to keep track of popularity and demand over time.

Thank you again for your participation in the Community!

Cody_from_Iowa
Stepping Up

I've used my Fitbit Sense for several workouts now. Like others, I've been having issues with my Fitbit pausing during weight training. I could also see this being an issue while doing an activity requiring gloves or something similar.

It would really be nice to disable the side button during exercise. Maybe Fitbit could add a triple-press option to lock or unlock the screen? That, or have the current double-press action perform a lock/unlock function during workouts only. The latter seems even more doable given the fact the app shortcuts aren't particularly useful during exercise.

I've tried different bands and watch positions, but I still haven't found a good workaround for this problem.

Ryu6000
Jogger

I’ve been a long time fitbit user and love your products. Just got my fitbit sense and have had a week to try it out. I absolutely love it, except for using it for exercise, its primary function. The button is way too sensitive and pauses many times throughout my workouts. This happens in every type of workout, whether it be running on an elliptical, practicing martial arts, or weight lifting. I upgraded from the fitbit charge series, which I had no issues with. I have done some research and tried multiple solutions for fixing this issue to no avail. 

Please update the fitbit sense so the button is disabled during workouts or requires a double or triple press to pause the workout. I believe this would solve the issue that I and many other users are having. 

translationmx
Jogger
PLEASE add an option to lock the screen and buttons of the trackers while working out
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @translationmx, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to lock screen and buttons during exercise. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

dansebo
Jogger
Watches need a setting to lock a workout session in progress and prevent accidental touches from pausing the tracking.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @dansebo, thanks for sharing this suggestion about being able to lock your Fitbit device during your exercise session with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

Anirask
Base Runner
I do kickboxing and other sports where sweat and the glove over my Fitbit causes a whole number of undesired effects from pin locking my device to stopping an active workout. A touch screen lock where only the side button is enabled would be a great improvement.
ChrisDM72
First Steps
At present on the Versa 3 when you select the Swim exercise it has the lock that stops it automatically pausing unless you press the button twice. Please can this be optional for other exercises as well.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Anirask and @ChrisDM72, thanks for sharing your feedback about having the option to use lock screen during exercises on your Versa 3. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

iamprad
Jogger
This feature needs to be on every new device fitbit makes by default. We sweat when we work out. Sometimes workout gear gets over the screen and this causes false presses which results in the pausing or ending of my workout.

This in turn, makes using my Fitbit almost useless.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @iamprad, thanks for sharing this suggestion about being able to lock your Charge 5 screen when tracking your workouts with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Please click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

VickuSmith
Jogger
The water lock feature is available from the main clock screen or whilst tracking swimming. Add this feature to other exercises so I can lock the screen whilst tracking a different exercise, for example Walking.
DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @VickuSmiththanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us about the possibility of locking the screen whilst tracking a different exercise and not just swimming, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here. This section is regularly monitored by the team of developers to continue to track popularity and demand over time. 

Thank you again for your participation in the Community forums. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.