Lock screen/buttons during exercise for all Fitbit devices

I've seen similar ideas/feedback noted for the Surge/Blaze and I'd love to see the same sort of thing for the Ionic, I also saw an idea to change the 'stop exercise' button to the (left) hand button on the Ionic which would too be good but would very much prefer a lock screen if possible 🙂

When I'm sometimes performing pushups, boxing, burpees or anything that causes my hand to bend, I've sometimes ended up pushing the bottom right hand button to 'pause' the workout and then sometimes ended up pushing multiple buttons during workouts to end it prematurely.

I'd love it if it were possible to disable the buttons during certain workouts or have some kind of lock screen, maybe even a long-button push option to only unlock the screen when holding one of the buttons for a few seconds etc. At the moment, it's just far too easy to accidentally click the right hand buttons which are tied to pausing/ending workouts.

An idea which would be great would be that my old android watch had, I could turn the screen on with a button although in order to interact any further, I would need to manually swipe away a lock screen (or you could set it up with a PIN each time) and then you'd be able to start/end/pause the workout.

Thanks a lot for reading, really hope this could be considered for a future firmware update Smiley Happy

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

346 Comments
djobert
Jogger
Add the option do disable the "pause button" on the lower right of the Versa 2. Everytime you flex your wrist, the watch pause itself. Very poor design to have a pause button where it can get hit every time you do push-ups, burpees and bear crawls, or ride a bike with gloves
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @djobertThanks for taking the time to explain this suggestion about being able to disable the pause button when doing workouts. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. While this isn't currently planned at this moment, we have left voting open so we can keep tracking this request over time. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

4_Bacon
Jogger
Hi, can you please make it an option to turn the solid state button off? When I am working out my wrist is constantly pressing the button which sometimes pauses the workout and it just annoying. Please make it so we have the option to turn it off.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @4_Bacon. Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about being able to lock the button of your Fitbit device during exercise. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. While this isn't currently planned at this moment, we have left voting open so we can keep tracking this request over time. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

launchermonkey
Recovery Runner
disable side button during workout on fitbit sense
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @launchermonkey, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about disabling side button during workout on Fitbit Sense. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

czechokomuna
First Steps
There should be a button or an shortcut to lock Versa screen while training nor showering/taking a bath while wearing Versa.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @czechokomuna. Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about being able to lock your Versa screen when working out. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. While this isn't currently planned at this moment, we have left voting open so we can keep tracking this request over time. You might also be interested in this other suggestionTo learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Scherazade
First Steps

I have the same issue as the original submitter. In fact, I stopped using my Sense and went back to my Versa 2 because I couldn't make it through a workout without the tracking pausing or my watch just restarting. I can't recommend the Sense to anyone just because of this issue.

Raz124
Base Runner
Add the option to automatically or manually disable the capacitive button during exercise
SunsetRunner
Not applicable
Lock the side botton during exercise mode.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Raz124, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to disable the side button during workout on Fitbit Sense. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SunsetRunner, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to lock screen buttons during exercise. This feature suggestion already exists, so I've moved it into a similar request. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

Nick1186
First Steps
I recommend adding the option to disable the use of the second button, button pressed by pressing down on the face of the device. Button is located on the underside of the device. Button has been found to be pressed inadvertently during normal use, even more so during workouts.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Nick1186, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see disable side button during workout on Sense. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

Slaw1967
Jogger

Hi. When I ride my mountain bike or run in the cold weather the side button on my sense gets knocked with clothing and ends up pausing my recording. This is really annoying and shouldn’t happen. The side button should have a 3 to 5 second delay when pushing or be able to disable it. Fitbit you really need to look at this as the only way I can guarantee I can exercise and it will work is to just wear a t shirt but this isn’t possible when it’s -2c. My ionic had the same problem as well. Surely a software upgrade could sort this. This really isn’t fit for purpose when you have to keep checking it every few minutes to see if it’s paused. I have had a live chat with Fitbit but to be honest they didn’t seem to want to solve the issue and pointed me to the forum.

Come on Fitbit sort this out!!

Mazzaswan
Jogger

I agree. Every time I cycle it pauses. Useless and not as advertised - very disappointing. Will return my device.

The ability to lock the screen of Fitbit Sense/Versa during workouts so that recording of data during the workout isn't paused or ended due to accidental touch.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @LostScientist42. Thanks for sharing this suggestion about being able to lock the screen of your Fitbit smartwatch with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to keep the forums organized and make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

JPerez21
First Steps

I constantly have that issue in the gym while lifting weights were the side button is triggered by touching my arm pausing the workout tracking and I don't notice immediately until I look at my watch. It is annoying and there should be a quick fix via software update to disable it in settings or automatically when tracking workouts.

VickyC1987
Recovery Runner

The same here. I wear my Sense all the time but especially in my Zumba classes, I find it very annoying when I go to stop it at the end of my session to find it’s only recorded 7 or 8 minutes!  I can’t keep looking at my Fitbit during my classes to make sure they are recording still. I have had it on both wrists and it’s the same issue. 
please change it that we can stop the timer a different way.  I spent £300 on a Fitbit that is stressing me out. Kinda wish I had stayed with my Charge 3, never had issues with that. 

Zon_Jr
First Steps

I would also like a means of disabling the side button during workouts.  I had less of an issue by removing the vinyl protector I use to protect the face and sides of the watch, but I still get paused workouts from time to time.  Since  I am wearing boxing gloves, there isn't much room on my arm to reposition my watch.  This is frustrating since I never had this issue with my Ionic or Versa.  Love the Sense, but I really need an option to prevent paused workouts.

saiyaninali
First Steps

I was about to suggest the same thing. It is a nuisance actually. I practice Capoeira and l constantly hit the button when I attempt handstands.  I have tried using elastic wrist bands to help hold the watch in place but to no avail.  I wonder could a software 🤔update add a lock feature? 

Mazzaswan
Jogger
I solved my problem by really loosing the strap.
AJPMAL
First Steps
When out walking several times fitbit ionic screen tracking info has been lost. Very easy to do this by mistake especially if wearing hat and gloves. Also might be good idea to differentiate between notification buzz you get when fitbit is connected to gps and one which lets you know you are disconnected .
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.