Make migration to Google an optional process

Chatting with support, someone told me eventually all users will be "forced" to link their FitBit with google account.
If there is an issue with the account this means you have to change the whole google account (ie password) to accomodate FitBit, which is what happened to my account

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

34 Comments
dhimes
Base Runner

Oh man- that's no good.  Why should I be forced to have a google account just to use fitbit?  That's the problem with mergers.

KayRice111
First Steps

I agree ... and even more than that ... I had (through my insurance company) a FREE Upgrade to Premium. NOW, I can't use it because FitBit demands that I link to Google, and my PERSONAL, INDIVIDUAL Gmail is customized and I use the Google Business feature for my custom domain (which is my personal name) ... I've had that email address for almost 15 years and it is linked to all my personal accounts --- yet FitBit won't accept/allow it, so now I cannot use my insurance access to FitBit Premium because FitBit won't allow it. UGH! Okay ... I'll do without and just use the back FitBit package, but this is annoying!

Marilynn55
First Steps

My app was changed without doing anything…so annoying. My husband still has the old app layout with color, ability to change to top what he wants. Very dissatisfied with google ownership and when I need new tracking device I will be buying something else. 

JLengyel
First Steps

I do agree with everyone above!

Due to my “brain issues” this new design is killing me! I loved how easily I could see everything and read out everything without getting brain freezed. Now it’s just white with some black symbols. And I’ve lost a lot of my motivation to use the app. It’s now a burden to try to see and use the app. 

Why change things as long as they works?! 

Carolyrm
Jogger

Well I followed directions and attempted to move my account to Google,

.  It has become a nightmare with syncing to my iPad recording data and shuffling around with passwords. 

Tried get out of Google and bsck to Fitbit.  Impossible.  And now my tracker won’t record any sleep data or health metrics.  I’m so frustrated!  Does anyone have any suggestions.  I’ve tried the help accounts for both and get nowhere.  The robot and live person both just repeat what is on the screen.  I’m ready to go to Apple.

ehere.  The just repeat what I see on the screen

AdrenaC
First Steps

Just got a new Fitbit and I am upset.  The only reason I got a Fitbit was because of the social competition challenges and sharing.  If I can’t do those things with my “old” friends and family, the Fitbit is just a pedometer with little value.  Google needs to put more effort into the transfer of data from the old platform’s user experience or this merger will end poorly.  I want to return my Fitbit Charge 6!

JBrody
Jogger

I've been a Fitbit user for many years. Will not be anymore if they require us to use a Google account to access this device. I'm going to start looking now for a device from a competitor who will not be part of the Google Empire.

etaylor969
First Steps

I just saw the email on this. I've been a Fitbit user for years and love their products, but if I'm required to have and use a Google Account, this is where I draw the line. I will NOT be using this product and will move on to something else. I don't need Google looking over my shoulder anymore than they already are, furthermore I don't need another email address to manage. I can't stand Google products any more than I have to. So disappointed!

Whitty79
Jogger

I won’t be linking to my google account. End of. This new app version is a disaster on many fronts, but while my watch is working I’ll stick with it.

I won’t be buying another at this rate. Sort it out fitbit. Roll back to the previous user interface and actually think about what your customer WANTS and not what you THINK they want.

Widdershins
Tempo Runner

I use a gmail alias to my Google Account, so the alias is linked to the base address. If Fitbit/Google cannot cope with that, well hard luck I'm off to another device.

jenhop60
Jogger

Just got the email from Fitbit stating that in order to continue using the device, I must switch to a Google account. Quote from the email: "You aren’t required to move to a Google Account immediately, but you will need to move by 2025 to retain your historical data and continue using your device(s)." This makes me so mad! I've been a Fitbit user for 12+ years, but will give it up completely if forced to make the switch. Plus, the "upgrade" to the app is a complete fail.

c1vettegirl
First Steps

Received the email yesterday and if they force the Google account, then I'm not using Fitbit any more.  I've had a Fitbit since I saw it at CES in 2014-ish. It was a great product before Google involved. 

scousenuggett
First Steps

Google have deliberately mislead me/everyone about switching to a Gmail account. They sent an email explaining all the benefits BUT not once did they explain you would lose all your friends and family until 2025 or until they also switched. I used to trust Google above all other tech companies. Not any more. Very poor misleading way to treat your customers. 

coach49
First Steps

I do not like this new upgrade at all. It is black & white, all colours removed. Very boring! I noticed that other users have commented on the loss of the battery percentage. I wholeheartedly agree! Bring it back immediately!! I also hate the step wheel. It used to be instantaneous & show your steps, now it starts at zero every time you enter the app then spins to where you’re at. It is very irritating to my eyes when I’m flipping through my previous data. 
And if you force people to move their account to Google then I will be one of the many who will not go & will buy another brand of watch when I need to. 

dman100
First Steps

I just migrated my account to Google and I've lost years of conversations with friends - just gone - there was nothing to say that I would lose the history.

The least you could have done is warned people, there's some comment that messages will start to come through when someone sends a new one, but what about nearly four years of history.  It gave me options to delete data, which of course I don't want to do, but at least if I could have exported my messages from the social feature which is one of the reasons Fitbit was so popular, yes, I got harrrassed by people with fitbit accounts that were generated probably via web accounts.  At least that went away, but losiing some pretty special conversations with "friends" I made is heartbreaking.  I hope they are being migrated.  However, I cannot do anytghing except vote yes on every single comment posted here about your new app - its not tracking my sleep, I have to manually corect it every day,and as someone who has huge problems with sleep, I need to know whether I could good quality or bad quality, as I've got a rare sleep disorder which affects the hormones in my brain, and the fitbit isn't the $1500 device I was recommended to get, but I expect most smart watches probably have similar sensors, however, as long as I get good heartrate variability, spo2 and other things, I can also see ifI am not getting enough oxygen - part of the reason I chose Fitbit devices is their batteres last long enough that I only have to charge the, once a week, rouhgly - give or take a day depending on how active I've been, but I find the new app absolutely horrible compared to the previous one - I can see you wanted a minimalist design, but all you are going to do is alienate every fitbit owner, all because you wanted the fitness tracker software for your Google Pixel 2, and there are people who have been loyal to this brand for years despite the smart watches available.  If we wanted smart watrches, we'd buy them, but no, I llike my charge 5, and I was going to get a charge six.  I can't beliueve you took the barometer out of the Charge 5, so no more counting up and down stairs, which I used to regularly as part of my routine, now there's no point.  I don't see any evidence of it in the Charge 6 either, but at least I can read the screen, and I was totally disappointed with the screens available for the charge 5, and by the sound of it, people are complaining about the watch faces for the charge 6 as well.  I'm so disappointed about losing my history of my message history.  I know you are forcing this chage eventually and the charge 6 required it.  I wish I hadn't done it without some sort of export or backup if that was even possible.

jadelson6
Jogger

I just got the notice that I'll need to move my Fitbit onto my Google account. My wife and I each have our own Fitbits, but we share a single Google account (for Gmail, etc.). Will we each be able to run our own Fitbits from the same Google account and if so, how will that work? I have not been able to find anything on this scenario, which must be fairly common. I suppose one of us can create a new Google account but it seems like a hassle to switch back and forth between Google accounts to control a Fitbit. 

Ksmith2023
First Steps

I am disappointed that I merged my 2 accounts.  Now I have been kicked off of the "family/friends leaderboard" with my family because they have not migrated their account yet.  We use this as a bit of friendly competition.

Marklaurie
First Steps

Was just told my existing Google account will not work with the demand to have a google account. Request a change to be done so it can go to existing accounts, Mine is not an individual account. 
Reading through this thread, It does not sound like being forced into a google account does not come with good results. 

Colinsplace
Recovery Runner

I’m intrigued by this need to migrate to your gmail account if you wish to continue.

I was told when the merger first happened that my information would remain separate from Google. I was happy to hear this as i didn’t want Google to know everything about me. Lord knows how much of my private data is stored in there memory banks for advertising purposes.

But now, I’m wondering if this need to move across is to allow them full access to my fitbit data as this might  be something they can’t currently access due to data protection. But once you move across, you’ve all but agreed for them to take the information and do what they wish.  

So beware what you’re prepared to give away. Don’t forget the old mantra “if it’s online, and it’s free, YOU”RE the product”

AMD-User
Jogger

I tried to migrate to my Google account but the computer won't let me. The help for this situation is unhelpful. So I won't be able to change to Google. Looks like I will have to buy a Garmin as my next step counter.

Dee.G
Recovery Runner

I agree with the suggestion to not force it. I lost conversations, friends, data, you name it... I thought I could simply log in directly through the Fitbit site but no. Now I can ONLY log in using the Google route. 

MavroDrakos
Jogger

I've just been told that to use an Ace 3 that was bought in 2022 I have to create a google account for my kids. 
I think it is anticompetitive and in breach of contract to force people to have a google account just to use a device they have already bought.

I don't trust google with my data and I don't want my 7 year old to have a google account. I don't want them holding or profiling my kids for advertising purposes.

I'm sick to the back teeth of tech companies treating people with such unbelievable arrogance and contempt. As far as I'm concerned they broke our contract and are hiding behind layers of awful customer service. I

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @VeeBee2314, and thanks for taking the time to share this product feedback about making the migration to Google an optional process with us. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this product feedback receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides what product feedback is developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

Mclane75
Jogger

And because we will be forced to move on Google, I won't be able to pay with my watch anymore.

My bank supported Fitbit pay, but Google pay is mostly not supported in my country. So it's yet another feature that will become worthless as of January 1, 2024 for me.

Weberc3
Jogger

I migrated my account easily but now I have no friends to see steps. Apparently this action can't be undone. The whole reason I stick with Fitbit instead of an apple watch is because of the social aspect. My friends either can't or won't migrate their account. I would like to undo the action so I looked into exporting data and deleting my google account with Fitbit. This is a huge mistake Google/Fitbit. Probably will end up losing customers (ie. me) to apple.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.