Manual entry of Stairclimber (add floors/distance)

The Fitbit doesn't register floors climbed on Steppermills and Stair Masters.

It would be great if we could manualy add floors to our daily totals.

Obviously we are already adding steps / calories / active minutes from doing the exercise... just want to add the floors.

Thanks

Moderator edit: labels.

320 Comments
SeaHusker
First Steps

I completely agree -- I can enter the calories for a treadmill workout.  Why not make it possible for me to enter the floors climbed?!??

@Jsquared wrote:
Please add a new activity for the Stepmill (rotating stairs) to,your activities for tracking. But with this, you need to be able to add feature to manually enter number of floors climbed. I often use the Stepmill for cardio, since I no longer run, and this activity does not register on the fitbit for floors climbed which is extremely disappointing. One session can register 150-200+ floors climbed. I cannot accurately track this activity each day. PLEASE consider adding these 2 new functions.

SeaHusker
First Steps

Completely agree -- I can enter calories for a treadmill workout, why not allow me to enter the floors climbed since I know the vertical feet from the treadmill?!??

bbdec1
First Steps

I agree.  Need some flexibility on manually entering activity.

Vandrina
First Steps

I have floors in my house, that I climb everyday.  Sometimes the floors will add automatically, othertimes, they won't add at all.  The main problem seems to be if I continually go up and down the stairs, the altimeter won't record the changes.  It would be really nice, especially since it is a tracked activity, if we were able to manually adjust the floors we've climbed.

Borneo66
First Steps
Yes. This would be very useful as could include the floors climbed on the machines in the gym.
neschofield
First Steps

I understand the device usually uses pressure to determine floors climbed but putting it into "stairclimber" mode is telling it that I am now climbing stairs (in the gym so no height change). When selecting the stairclimber exercise couldn't the fitbit then use the number of steps during that exercise to calculate the equivalent number of flights of stairs and add it to your daily total. This doesn't seem like a diffcult feature (and I assumed this was the purpose of selecting stairclimber instead of generic workout but I just tried it out at the gym and it doesn't register any floors climbed on the machine).

~ please count each step during "stairclimber" mode and convert into floors.

kreyes
First Steps

yes please add the ability to add floors and steps manually as some exercise machines are not tracked on the fitbit!

PedXing
First Steps

I complete 167 floors daily on a step machine.

My Fitbit Surge does not track this, and there's no way to enter the data into the Dashboard. Nor does the database extrapolate those floors to steps, so both my step count and floor count are far off.

The database already contains much of this functionality; adding the Floors field to the Custom Activity Log entry, and a single calculation (floors projected to steps) would be additional. Even a conservative extrapolation of floors to steps would be better than zero, which is what I have now.

This is a huge component of my exercise regimen, not properly accounted for in the Custom Activity Log, which only has entries for calories and distance. It's a very serious oversight.

Please advise.

Jopp
Jogger

I also agree. I often times use my treadmill at 8 - 10% incline, a LOT of stairs and I'd like to be able to enter them manually.

Status changed to: New
Mcore
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Thank you for contributing your idea to our Feature Request forum!

This post has been archived due to inactivity, and can no longer receive votes or comments. Any other ideas you might have, feel free to share them or vote for it, if it’s already suggested in the Feature Request Forum.

Taxie
First Steps
By now we all know that our beloved fitbit can overcount steps and floors in certain situations. Many of us would appreciate the possibility of manually correcting those entries. Some of us like it precise. ; )
Samsonftl
Jogger

Yes  it really upsets me that I can not edit the number of floors if I know it is off.  For that reason I am ready to throw my Surge in the garbage.

DSage
Premium User
First Steps

Agreed, I live in a very hilly area and driving through my town my Fitbit One often counts anywhere from 10-19 floors over my actual count for the day. We at least need a way to manually edit the number of floors climbed so we can try and keep a more accurate count. May not be easy for steps but there's no reason we shouldnt be able to edit floors climbed. 

Another user posted a workaround to avoid Fitbit logging while driving by plugging the fitbit in to the charger while driving. This works because the fitbit won't log anything while charging. I think this is an excellent workaround for now however we need the ability to manually edit floors climbed and if a driving mode could be added perhaps that would be best.
I'd actually prefer the option to hold the button on my fitbit to enable driving mode and maybe even be able to set driving times in 10minute increments so it will auto resume. 

Just my thoughts, I hope someone at Fitbit is actually reading these.

Thanks,
Sage

Samsonftl
Jogger
I just want to keep it sole and be able to edit the number of floors

Sent from my iPhone
Status changed to: New
DerrickS
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice idea! Currently Fitbit trackers count floors based on an decrease in atmospheric pressure with continuous motion, an....

But I think a lot of people, especially if they use a treadmill or StairMaster, would benefit from a "stairclimber" mode. 

Thanks for sharing!

PattiBuss
Recovery Runner

I agree - the dashboard should allow us to correct or add steps.  I've had days when I've forgotten my fitbit was charging and it missed adding thousands of steps 😞

law5249
First Steps

This would be a great idea- I was in the middle of a hike today when my Charge HR screen stopped working. When I got home, I reset it and saw that while the display was not working, it was still counting my steps. However, my floors weren't counted, so I missed out on around 600 feet of elevation change that I would like to be able to log.

chrstne
First Steps

I have the same issue, split level home with a landing on the second floor between the 1st and 3rd, very rarely do I get a floor registered.  

Today for some reason it registered 28 floors - no idea how so yes, add and remove floors would be extremely helpful.

earth2jo
Recovery Runner

My goal is 10 floors a day. I have walked 10 floors each day this week but have a look at my stats below.

If it was showing between 9-11 floors I would be ok with the “irregularities” but some days it's showing 4 floors when I walked 10!

If it's off by this much there needs to be an option to manually correct it.

415927966.jpg

PabloR
First Steps

The fitbit doesn't pick up stairs I climb on the 'step master' in the gym. My arms are resting most of the time. It would be great if I can add them manually in the web dashboard the way I can do steps.

tinydancer4
First Steps

I totally agree.  At least allow us to manually enter floors when we forget the Fitbit!

Siglil
Jogger
I've notice on Facebook quiet a bit of people complaining how Floors are not counted in the treadmill or the stairclimber. I would love if Fitbit would consider added a feature to where Firbit users can manually add their step as it reads on the stairclimber or tredmil. I think it would be a great add for those of us that use the stairclimber or run hills on a daily or weekly basis.

Thank you for you time
Siglil
KS-TX_DTurtle
First Steps
I had won a Charge FitBit at a Coop meeting in May. Love it!
Health reasons needed to exercise and lose weight. It was a gift for my health. Wore it all the time. Yard work, walking, chain sawing, etc... I wore it all the time! Now it won't hold a charge and the side button fell off. It is now August and 10 lbs lighter I couldn't bring myself to be without it on my arm.
Liked the look of the Flex, no outside buttons to knock off. So I bought a Flex, not knowing floors are not registered. I walk our drive 4-5 times for my 1.5mi and walk down the hill twice, from our place, and walk back up. That is equal to 8-9 floors.
Well! With the Flex floors are not registered!
Could an icon be added in activities on the mobile or computer app to add on my FLOORS, that I walk?
Thank you!
(Love the program to sync to for calories and portions of food!)
melissabales
Recovery Runner
Much needed!!! Realistic view of life is allow manual entry of floors. Gyms and stair asters are a reality.
MargeAtLarge
First Steps

Yes!  I am biting at the bit (fitbit) waiting for a response on this issue also.  There are time i dont wear it when I've done a hike with steep incline.  How can I add this info?

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.