Manually log floors

Currently you can back date and manually input all other data from steps, caloeries and water but you can't add in floors climbed.

This would be helpful if for example you were mountain climbing and your Fitbit died or simply you forgot your Fitbit.

As it's currently available on all the other logs, making it available for floors can't be difficult.

Moderator Edition: Labels

84 Comments
scparks
Jogger

I do 15 to 20 per day and wish we could just add them in. I MISS my badges
telling me which pyramid I climbed or mountain or.....it was a great reward!

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed

FCD
Base Runner

I use the stairs religiously at my condo, I live on the 3rd floor and walk up from the 1st floor ... 90% of the time it records 2 flights but other times not.  I am a numbers junky and one of those idiots that climbs stairs a number of times at 11:45 PM to reach my daily goal.  It's infuriating when I realize it didn't track the flights and I've come up short of my goal (not really though).  Given that fitbit is a tracker, i want it to track and if not give me the ability to correct fitbit's faults.  Please add me to the list of customers that would like to see this feature added.

FCD
Base Runner

On a related note, I've seen a couple responses on some of these forums that corporate customers may be upset?  Do you really want to be known as the fitness tracker that kowtows to the corporate world over their core clientele?   A couple years ago, I wore a jawbone and got a similar answer when I asked about manually adjusting a bad reading.  I won't presume that was the cause, but you know what happened to Jawbone?

jonk123
Recovery Runner

I agree that it would not take that much to manually add floors in the  https://www.fitbit.com/      activity add actrivity

I am waling the same route every day and it goes from 80 feet elevation to up to 130 feet.  Yes, I am going up and down but it is at a minimum 1 floor but other times 2 floors.  I see it OCASSIONALLY getting 1 or 2 steps but the MAJORITY of the time I get no steps.

I understand why because it was described to me, but we should be able to add floors when the fitbit does not add them atomatically,

my normal walk should count 3 floors as you can see the feet mentioned above

I was a computer programmer before I retired, it should be fairly easy to add an optional line (like they have now to add miles)

scparks
Jogger

I live in a 3 story home, my street is a hill and my yard goes down a
ridgeline. I MISS getting credit for all of that. I would love to add.
You can add OTHER items. I alsways told everyone I lived for the stair
climbs. I MISS those badges and I miss the pat on the back I get daily
from it.

It is a deliberate part of my fitness.

Aaaaargh!

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed

RoadWorkAhead
Jogger

As an example I live in a 2 story home. When I go upstairs my Ionic logs the floors about 70% of the time. There are other times I have gone up steps exceeding 10 feet and the floors has not been logged. I would also like to be able to correct the log. I really don't care if those floors count toward badges or if they are flagged as being manually added. I just would like to have them recorded with the rest of my data.

jonk123
Recovery Runner
I Agree, I was told we have to get a lot of people to agree before they
will do it.
Thanks for the comments
Lcon03
First Steps

I am a teacher that works in a 4 story school. There are actually more than 10 feet of rise between the floors. Today I went up from the 1st to the 3rd and it didn’t record them, though my trip in the elevator always gets gets recorded. Makes no sense!!! Add the option to manually at floors. I use and bought this for medical purposes. My doctor and I discuss it every month.  Inaccurate data does not paint the correct picture for my health concerns.

jonk123
Recovery Runner
I agree,
I have cancer and it does not reflect my floors accurately
I understand why because of how it is set up but we (all) need to have this
manual method
I was a computer programmer and it does not see like a hard add since you
already have a manual add now.
shelbyla
Jogger

Please add me to the list of users to are requesting that you be able to manually log floors. I am training for an event and needed to log more than 100 floors today. Unfortunately that option is not available to me so all I ended up with was roughly 30 minutes of aerobic exercise That counted neither floors or nor steps.

bcalla
Jogger

PLEASE ALLOW USERS TO ADJUST FLOOR COUNTS!!!!!  It's infuriating that you won't do this.

I had a Fitbit One that I used for about a year in 2015-2016 - until I lost it.  Back then I requested the ability to correct floor counts. My problem was that I got dozens of extra floors when I walked on a windy day.  When I lost the Fitbit, I replaced it with a Garmin Vivosmart HR. It also overcounted floors, but not as drastically as my Fitbit.  I recently received a Fitbit Charge 3 as a gift, and I am again experiencing the same problem with floor counts.  Today I got 31 floors, yesterday 62; but I only did 10-12 each day.  I (obviously incorrectly) assumed that the app would have been changed by now.  

jonk123
Recovery Runner
thanks for the update
mine was just the reverse
it did not count floors because of all sorts of reasons, but they had to
update it someway because I now get my floors, although sometime more i.e.
I received 6 floors instead of 3 floors
thanks again
_JR_
First Steps

Hi,

I work for one of the companies that use FitBit for their corporate fitness challenges. We have never had a stairs challenge (in the 5+ years). Also, as others have said people can cheat with any challenge if they really want. FitBit should focus more on enabling users live healthier lifestyles and not restrict the system because a few people may log it incorrectly. If you are really concerned about that, disable manually logged stairs climbed from counting towards corporate challenges.

I don't even care about the badges or anything else. My FitBit doesn't have the ability to track stairs. I find climbing stairs an easy way to get exercise, and I shouldn't have to track this in a separate excel spreadsheet or something similar. I rarely use FitBit because I also wear a watch at work. At least, the app seemed really useful for tracking. I'm hoping I don't have to find an alternative app.

It also seems like such a simple suggestion to implement (yes, I am a software engineer). 

It would be good to get an actual response from product management on timeline or "never gonna happen", rather than the generic "this feature has been already requested".  

Thanks.

EssDon202
First Steps

No one’s mentioned the issue that some Fitbits are designed without the ability to track stairs. I have had multiple Fitbits over the years, and my current Inspire HR cannot track stairs. I primarily wear my Inspire HR to track my sleep, but sometimes I forget to change Fitbits when I head out, on weekends, for example. This alone seems to justify the requests to allow users manually to log stairs. Please!

Bigmama603
First Steps

The issue for me is that the feature stopped working all together for tracking floors.  Customer service worked with me to reset, clean my Charge 2, etc but to no avail. 
Conclusion? The only way for me to track floors (I average 30/daily) is to buy a new Fitbit.  Customer service did, however, offer me a discount code. 
I also would appreciate a work-around to manually track floors for this reason. 

Loriv33
First Steps

I agree with this! I just got the versa lite but found out it tracks everything but floors. If we could track it manually it wouldn’t be an issue. Like everyone else said it doesn’t make sense that we can manually track everything else but not floor climbing. 

Bigmama603
First Steps
🙂👍

--
*warm wishes, jayem...*
SteevOATX
First Steps

I 100% wholeheartedly agree that we should be able to manually update floors climbed on the Versa 2. 

I would love for that feature to be added, it would be VERY helpful. 

Thank you,

SteevOATX

hiwind
First Steps

My fitbit just missed 17 floors. I did 105 and it reads 88. I should be able to click edit and change 88 to 105 for my historical tracking purposes. I have to continually check my wrist or keep a running total of floors in my head to ensure I am getting my daily 100. It's frustrating when I cannot edit to track what I've actually done for the day.

jonk123
Recovery Runner
I Agree, I walk in a hilly area and should be getting 3 floors each time,
but most of the time I get zero (0) occasionally 1 or 2
I am told it is the way that it is calculated and things that can eliminate
or re-start the steps.
Yesterday I was outside and walked up and down the parking garage and
should have had 4 floors but got zero (0)
The help desk does not see it as a problem
McK1104
First Steps

I forgot to put my fitbit on and did the same hike I did two days ago.  It would be great if I could duplicate the steps/floors/time etc. and manually log them in the app for today.  I can add steps but that all.There is no way to add the floors.

EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @McK1104, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about being able to manually log floors. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here to keep this board organized.

cowboydan76
Jogger

So I was just cramming an intense workout into the end of my day, and at the end of said workout I climbed a stairwell from my basement to my main floor that in the past gives me one floor two steps before I get to the top without fail. I had eight floors when I started. I then went back down to the bottom of the steps after it took it up to nine correctly. Then I did the climb again, but was surprised to find that it didn’t register a floor the second time . At this point I was about nine minutes from midnight, and spent those nine minutes frantically running up and down my steps like a lunatic. I even switched it up and added a second consecutive flight of stairs going up to my top floor. Got no credit for any but the first flight, which makes absolutely no sense. I got zero credit for about nine or 10 floors that I climbed just trying to get one, and the fact that I apparently have no recourse but to have the stupid app declare me one short of my goal is disgusting to me considering how hard I worked to meet that goal, and how much meeting goals consecutively keeps me motivated.  The fact that this has not been addressed in the nearly 2 years that this topic has been open strikes me as betraying a fairly acute disrespect for your customers, specifically when in most cases it is a failure of your product that makes it necessary. 

there is zero excuse not to have this available. If someone is petty enough to want to add fake floors to their stats, that strikes me as their business, so long as it doesn’t affect challenges and such, which none of the other manual ads are allowed to do.  I expect most of your customers have experienced gross miscounting of stats that need to be corrected, and the floors are one of the most vulnerable to this issue, and yet it is the one that you are denying us the ability to fix. It’s making me pretty angry, to be honest.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Welcome to the unfair world of Fitbit.

Just as an example, I used to have a Charge 3 tracker, which suddenly refused to sync at all. I do climb 200 floors each and every day for more than 4 years now and I lost a stats of 1 200 floors because of that stupid issue. Fitbit was aware of that as I reported it immediately but no one seemed to care. I do not think they will implement a manual floor log into their database, such a huge disappointment.

Sorry mate, I totally agree with you, but Fitbit does not listen to their loyal customers.

But even when they took away from me my very precious floors I will be very soon celebrating my 300 000 climbed floors according to their fake counting system.  

Stay in good health!

cellogail
Jogger

I completely agree with the desire to allow Fitbit users to log flights of stairs manually. My Charge 2 was pretty accurate (after I had to replace the pebble when it stopped counting them==but that was after about 18 months). I now have a Charge 3 which after a short time I had it counted 18 flights (I normally do about 12-15), the second day, 43, and for the past 9 days, nothing. I have been back and forth with customer support for this whole time, hearing from them every 3 days or so only, and nothing they suggest or that I tried from reading suggestions online (short reset, longer reset, unpairing/pairing, deleting and then  re-adding device) has worked. I am so frustrated!!!!! Seems a simple fix to allow users to manually log flights, especially if you cannot fix this satisfactorily for so many users.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.