Meditation Tracker within the Fitbit app

Meditation Tracker. Would nice to track sessions and see how much the heart rate slows down. Could also be part of the "challenges" section. 

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

149 Comments
sueincinci
Recovery Runner

I would like to have a real meditation timer on  myfitbit.   It could be customized like the timers on meditation apps with light vibrations instead of bells at intervals with a stronger vibration to signal the end. A meditation mode would A:  recognize that you are motionless but not sleeping while in meditation so sleep stats don't get screwed up and B: encourage more people to explore this stress relieving, blood pressure lowering activity.  You could set weekly goals and earn badges.  Boom.  There ya go.

OneCounts
First Steps

Maybe integrate with Insight Timer

Merlothoof
First Steps

Being able to synch it up with Insight Timer would be a brilliant idea. Either that or being able to log time done each day as is the case with food and water would be a help. 

sen1876
Recovery Runner

There is a great meditation app called "Calm". Right now it integrates with Google Fit but I would love to see it integrate with Fitbit. Having a space on the dashboard that would show the meditation s would be fabulous.

cmevinay
First Steps

I was expecting that fitbit blaze would be able to track mediation as an activity but seems it doesn't.  It will be a game changer if we can have it. Are there any plans in future to add this. I suppose there r tons of people out their who will love to have this. 

anish09
Jogger

Can we please get an enhancement in the Fitbit app to let us log and track Meditation (just like we current can track water consumed, or food etc.). Meditation needs to be tracked independently of 'Exercise' because its a fundamentally different kind of activity and should not count towards my Exercise goals. 

It could be a manual log, so a user can track how consistently they have been doing Meditation every week. It would also be cool to measure heart rate during this duration to see the impact of Meditation on HR.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Hello

I have seen some people talk about this but i wanted to submit my perspective.

I want to be able to track my relax session. i want to build a meditation routine and i want a push to do it and the accountability on my dash would help this.

https://www.elephantjournal.com/2016/06/how-meditation-heals-and-why-5-minutes-a-day-can-change-our-...

i want to track this to see if it is helping and i want to track it for modivation 

thank you!

I found thru my day my heart rate would elevate before parts of my day that where stressful.  in my work environment the 2 minutes helped me regain control and i love it and am thankful for this in my fitbit charge2. thank you fitbit.  the relax feature was what pushed me over the edge of buy or no buy that with sms integration i was sold.

DRvH
First Steps

I would very much appreciate a meditation tracker, tracking time of meditation and hart rhythm 

erha
First Steps

Good idea.  On charge 2 I now use the "work out" excercise to track my relaxation sessions.  During that session I try to lower my HR for a period of e.g.15 min. by doing breathing exercises.  But of course It's not a "work out" session.  It just a relaxation session.  What's in a name.  It's nice and quite a motivation to see how fast your HR decreases when you take a bit a relaxation time.   Makes it also like a little game.  How low can you get your HR in between normal activity ?  Good luck to all of you.

Kendarella
Jogger

I too am requesting a way to accommodate my meditation time on Fitbit. I feel that it provides negative feedback as it interprets my meditation time as being inactive. The  time sitting causes me to not meet my hourly activity goals. I use Insight Timer and would suggest a link there. I am not familiar with other apps

Matthill
First Steps

+1

its healthy. Please add. Thanks!

drsudhir9
First Steps

Please add a meditation tracker 

DeviceGuru
Recovery Runner

Actually, I've been using my Fitbit Charge 2 for tracking meditation. I use the "Yoga" exercise shortcut and start it when I start meditating, and then tap the display (if needed) to select the mode that shows elapsed time and bpm. That gives me a convenient timer, indicates the level of deep relaxation (evidenced by bpm reduction), and stores a record of each day's "yoga" periods that I can review later. I've also noticed that the Charge 2 identifies meditation periods as "sleep" and you can see periods of deeper and lesser deep rest based on the blue colors (dark vs light). Enjoy 🙂

drsudhir9
First Steps

Great . Thanks . It did work out . It didn't recognise it as sleep though ! 

DeviceGuru
Recovery Runner

In my experience, the Charge 2 often -- though not always -- tracks meditations as "sleep" when the sessions are close to an hour or longer.  I think the combination of reduced bpm along with lack of body movement during sitting meditation (TM, in my case) triggers the Charge 2's automatic sleep logging mode.

My tracked meditations look different from tracked sleeps:  more restful, with mostly dark blue (deep) and a few brief medium-blue segments (but no REM). This is in contrast to actual sleep periods, which are mostly medium-blue with occasional dark-blue (deep sleep) and light-blue REM periods. Morning meditations typically show bpm dropping into the mid 50s, while evening sessions are generally (though not always) 5-10 bpm higher, depending on how active I've been prior to starting.

Since not all meditation sessions get ID'd as sleep, using manual tracking via the "yoga" exercise shortcut button at least ensures that your Fitbit history data shows your meditations' regularity, duration, and depth of rest.

duration and avg bpm. Enjoy!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Yes FitBit! This feature would be amazing 😍 Apple have it as an integral part of their Health app and it seems surprising you don't. I know not al products have this feature, but if perhaps the app can tell if you have a device connected that does have it hen allows you to add the tile?

Realxing and meditating are important to health so tracking it is also important.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

This would be awesome to track, that way I wouldn't need a separate app to track my meditation. Also another feature would be to have the ability to change the relax (meditation) times. Having a quick 5 minutes session is great but sometimes I may want to go 20 minutes or more. depending on how stressed I am. 

Andrikas
First Steps

2 minute and 5 minute breath work is great but meditation experts say 20 minutes x2 a day is optimal! Please increase the time on my Fitbit! 5 minutes is too short!

Andrikas
First Steps

Would also be good to see a widget on the dashboard to track how many days you meditate in a row!

joelm
First Steps

I think you're confusing meditation with breathing exercises.  The two are related, and have some similar benefits, but are not the same thing.  

Breathing exercises ("Pranayama") is what the fitbit is offering which allows you to work with your breath and practice your breath control.

Meditation is about trying to train your mind to not focus on distracting thoughts and trying to calm the mind.  

When you meditate you shouldn't be focusing on anything (including trying to control your breath).  

Many forms of meditation use the breath as a tool where you "rest your mind" on your breath. You allow your focus to stay on your body breathing in and out, but without you making any effort to control your breathing.

If you're enjoying these breathing exercises, you'd probably enjoy meditation as well and would suggest looking into either some guided meditation to help you get started, or just using a countdown timer and trying to rest your mind on your breathing without trying to control it.  

That said, I would also support fitbit adding additional timing options for people who want to do breathing exercises for longer periods of time.  

Andrikas
First Steps

Hi Jolem
It is great to see that you understand the benefits as well. I am a yoga teacher and understand pranayama and meditation. Thank you for your post and i do help it helps educate others.  I wanted to keep my message on the forum simple and use my fitbit in my own personal way to meditate. As you know, to return back to the breath and control monkey mind during meditation is essential and I find that this is a good tool that fitbit has not yet considered. Meditation is not about thinking about nothing, instead it is about thinking less and there are many different ways of doing this through drishti, breath or body sensations. Great to have this conversation with you.
Perhaps what you are trying to say is that in the 20 minute mediation there could be a buzz and synched breathing at minute 1 and again at minute 20 at the end.  

Mange_J
Base Runner

How about a free breathing option. Where I don´t "listen" to the pace of my tracker. Instead the tracker listens to me and give me a report afterwards. Like, you needed two minutes to get into a steady pace. Maybe not what this Pranayama feature is about.

I find I get more "glaring" in the tracker if I try to be just so little ahead of the instruction.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Currently, it's possible to log time as "Meditating" activity. With more fitbits with HR monitors, it would be nice to make this more robust by adding the following:

- Indicate the lowest heart rate instead of the highest HR on the activity HR chart (on mobile, there is no way to see the scale and understand what the lowest heart rate was).

- Add a Meditation tracking feature in the app. The user defines the length of the meditation session at the start. Give three vibrations when the timer is up to indicate the end of the meditation and stop the activity. Also include optional intervals (every 5, 10, 15 minutes...) during the meditation to indicate the intervals with one vibration.

- Do not count Meditating as an activity counting towards the Weekly Exercise goal (it's distorting the days with physical exercise).

abigailanna
Jogger

Please add third-party integration with the Calm app! I would love to track my heart rate during meditation sessions. Thank you.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I think fit bit should put permanent mini games like on the apple watch 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.