More in-depth sleep data analysis (eg impact of activity or HR on sleep)

Hi everyone!!!

Dear Fitbit,

it would be really nice if you could implement more functional sleep analysis. I ask/suggest/offer you to have a look at really interesting app (Sleep Cycle).  Sleep cycleSleep cycle

I am sure that a lot of Fitbit users would appreciate this kind of sleep information. Here you can see some examples but there is much more in it. 

1 2 34 I am sure this kind of functionality would bring you more customers and more fun to Fitbit users. Thank you!!!

PS. I am really surprised you have not done it yet

Moderator Edit: Edited labels and Clarified subject

247 Comments
Denodan
Tempo Runner

When you have a nap it records this and also movement during that nap.   Why dont you include movement when sleeping also? Pretty much all dleep monitors include movement? And pretty sure Garmin watches also include this. It completes sleep data and should be included as it could help if your sleep was restless.   Also the Nokia steel you can see your heart rate data when you were asleep.   If fitbit continues to see your heart rate,  why not graph your sleeping heart rates. Movement and sleeping heart rates would give complete sleeping data.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

If you open the fitbit app when you wake up your heart rate data for the previous night is in the heart rate section. Assuming you were wearing it while you slept.

TazzerTel
First Steps

I totally agree with you and would like to see the same sort of data supplied.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

Erinrainey
Jogger

I'd love the feature to be able to see your heart rate during sleep. I know that the watch used the data to determine sleep stages, but for those with unusually high or low heart rates this feature would allow better observations. Also I'd like to see the total sleep data each night calculated into a percent efficiency (i.e. 92% sleep efficiency)  based on restlessness and sleep stages. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Good idea, thanks for taking the time to share it with us. 

LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

isorammy
First Steps

Hi, I have a heart fibrillation problem which very rarely affects my heart rate during my sleep. For the last year I have been able to monitor my hear rate via a Microsoft Band which has an excellent sleep app which also provides a graph of heart rate during the sleep period. Unfortunately the Microsoft hardware proved to be rubbish and they are no longer available. 

I bought an ionic in the hope that it would provide the same data and help me monitor my condition but unfortunately there is no heart data to go with the sleep data and my Ionic sits in a drawer every night.

All I need to see its that my heart rate is relatively constant through the sleep period and I would be happy but at the moment I can't do this and the sleep data is useless to me. 

hannahlau7
Jogger

My Fitbit (Alta, HR) detects an hour of sleep from 7:30 - 8:30 PM every day since I take it off for a gym class and leave it laying around. Considering that the heart rate monitor is reading "--" or null during this time, the Fitbit should "know" that I am not asleep; rather, the Fitbit is just not being worn. 

To solve this, the Fitbit app can use heart rate data to avoid false positives on sleep detection. 

Moderator edit: Labels

LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feedback @hannahlau7!

Let's keep an eye on what other users have to say about this.

nhlisa
Runner

Expanding sleep functionality would be great.  Being able to combine two or more sessions of sleep during the night because you had to get up and go to the bathroom would be very helpful.  Also not having to be asleep for at least an hour before it recognizes it or 3 hours to get the details.  I think that's the correct time information that I've seen.   I have bladder & stomach issues and some nights I am getting up every hour or less to go to the bathroom.  I sometimes will fall back asleep during these times but the Fitbit doesn't always recognize it.It's frustrating enough to have a bad night's sleep but when Fitbit says it's even less, it's more annoying.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Yes, please give us more sleep analysis features. I would like a place for Notes and to be able to compare the nightly sleep stages in some sort of an overlay form. After seeing some of the other sleep apps and that they have a place for notes, etc I too am surprised that Fitbit doesn't have more. I personally am not interested in an alarm, but others might be, of course. It seems silly to have to use two apps. Thanks. This thread is pretty old, 2016, surely Notes could have been easily added. Maybe concentrate on the aspects of the app instead of creating new Fitbits. *grin*

TrustinSmithy
First Steps

It would be grouse to see my heart rate layered on my sleep cycle to truly monitor my sleep cycles and even to see when my heart rate lowers and raises during different periods of sleep stages. Highly recommend!!

Status changed to: Under Consideration
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone thanks for sharing this suggestion. This is being discussed although I do not have a firm commitment or timeline at the moment. Do continue to vote for this feature suggestion whilst it’s under consideration. Please note that if something is under consideration and chosen for development, it can be a while until it's released or until I have any news to share. Please watch this space for any updates! Thanks for your patience.

Jakenull
Stepping Up

Allow multiple sleep records to be selected to see the combined analysis of records. To support biphasic or alternative sleep paterns.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

It would be great to see my heart rate layered on my sleep cycle so that I can monitor my sleep cycles and see when my heart rate lowers and raises during different periods of sleep stages. This ability would also add to the female tracking, so that those of us in menopause could track our nightly hot flushes/sleep disturbance/heart rate and see how that impacts our sleep.

TazzerTel
First Steps
Yes, I agree, I have been asking for this for quite some time now.
jo2010
Jogger

i would like to see the "heart rate and sleep" line graphs overlayed on the app so both sets of information would be viewable in one place.

Status changed to: Under Consideration
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone thanks for sharing this suggestion. This is being discussed although I do not have a firm commitment or timeline at the moment. Do continue to vote for this feature suggestion whilst it’s under consideration. Please note that if something is under consideration and chosen for development, it can be a while until it's released or until I have any news to share. Please watch this space for any updates! Thanks for your patience.

SpottyHorse
Jogger

Combining sleep and heartrate graph would be really usefu.  I hope you can do it soon 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

It's important sleep information to add the heart rate curve data to the sleep data display in the app. The continuous heart rate should be viewable in the sleep area of the app through the sleeping hours, as opposed to the way resting HR is split at midnight from one day to the next in the HR data display. The current reliance on the HR area to assess nighttime HR curve patterns, where the data stops at midnight one day and begins again in the next day, makes it hard to determine the nighttime curve. So two separate HR displays, one in the HR section per day and one in the sleep section to cover the sleeping hours, would be ideal. Then of course in the sleeping hours one, a curve line overlaid to help one asses their nighttime HR curve when it might not be obvious would be helpful.

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SunsetRunner! Great idea, thanks for sharing those details. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Thanks, I searched but didn't find this thread.

jo2010
Jogger
thanks for the help. that would work.
jo2010
Jogger
i made the same comment a couple of months ago. they replied with something
about the pulse data breaks into days at midnight everyday so they don't
mesh well.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.