More in-depth sleep data analysis (eg impact of activity or HR on sleep)

Hi everyone!!!

Dear Fitbit,

it would be really nice if you could implement more functional sleep analysis. I ask/suggest/offer you to have a look at really interesting app (Sleep Cycle).  Sleep cycleSleep cycle

I am sure that a lot of Fitbit users would appreciate this kind of sleep information. Here you can see some examples but there is much more in it. 

1 2 34 I am sure this kind of functionality would bring you more customers and more fun to Fitbit users. Thank you!!!

PS. I am really surprised you have not done it yet

Moderator Edit: Edited labels and Clarified subject

247 Comments
SpottyHorse
Jogger
Many thanks for this.

Sent from my iPhone
TLM79
First Steps

Re Sleep Stages Benchmark

It would also be helpful if the Sleep stage Benchmark in the app compared to your 30 day average not the figures for that day as it would be a lot more meaningful.

Also please can we have the 30 day avg and the benchmark on the windows dashboard as well as the app

Thanks

jh4v
First Steps

My sleep apnea doctor wants to track the amount of REM sleep that I get.  I can see that on the individual charts, but it would be great to have it plotted as a graph on its own.  

GRoman
Jogger

I agree completely with TLM79’s Sleep Stages Benchmark comments.  I also continue to advocate for at least some broad measure of the time spent sleeping, which comes in under your one hour minimum - like short naps!

BenSt
Jogger

I would be interested to see a graph of my night’s sleep with the heartbeat rate at the identical time overlaid.  That way I could see how the heartbeat changes during the different stages of sleep. 

zekes
First Steps

In the latest update of the app, under Heart Rate, when you tap into the Beats Per Minute graph and scroll between days, the scale of the vertical axis changes, making it nearly impossible to compare BPM variations over days. This was the main purpose of this feature: To see how BPM variations changed day-over-day based on different activity. For example, by swiping between days, I could see if my heart rate was faster one night than another night, which let me know if I was overtraining (or had drank too much alcohol the night before). Now the ability to quickly tell that kind of information is gone. Please change this back to the way it was before.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @zekes, thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Under Consideration". You can learn more about here. Keep adding your suggestions!

zekes
First Steps
Sleep data analysis is different than what I'm talking about... I'm talking
about a change made to the daily BPM graph visualization that changes the
scale of the Y axis every day instead of keeping it consistent so you can
more easily see changes in BPM day-over-day. It has nothing to do with
sleep. Please un-move my comment.
aXompi
Jogger

(Note: I previously post the following suggestion in other section of the forum as I was not aware of this board, but I was invited to share my ideas here because it is more appropriate.)

I have been using Fitbit Charge 3 for some months and I was analysing the sleep data reported on the app when synchronizing the device.

For every night of recorded sleep, the app computes the percentage of sleep stages with respect to the overall "bed-time" (including awake stage) and then compares these percentages with the 30 Day average and the ranges for men/women of your age. While these data look nice and interesting at the first impression, using relative percentages in the comparison can mislead the interpretation.

For example if my bed time is 4 hrs and I sleep 31min in deep sleep stage, this accounts for 13% of the total sleep (bed-time). 13% might be in the range of the 30 day avg and in the range of other people in my age. However, the 4hrs of bedtime was a single event compared to a normal bedtime of 8hrs with different and longer duration of the sleep stages, denoting probably that it was not a good sleep.

I would suggest to add some graphs that, for example, show the absolute values of the sleep stages with respect to the average -- median could help even more to give less relevance to "anomalous" recordings - of the absolute values in the last 30 days (different from the bar chart of the last 7 days) as percentages to better understand the "quality" of the sleep (whatever quality means here and I am not defining it) and of each stage, beyond the relative ones.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @aXompi, thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option to see more details about your sleep. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Under Consideration". You can learn more about here. Keep adding your suggestions!

MikeJames
Jogger

Dear Fitbit,

A recent update to the iOS Fitbit app has removed the ability to view Sleeping Heart Rate data and Restlessness data for free account users, making it available only to paid premium subscriptions. 

I am disappointed that this was done without notice or warning via the AppStore update information.

I understand the need to make paid subscription features appealing to ensure users want to upgrade to a paid service. However, it is unfair to introduce helpful features only to take them away from free users. If a feature is to be introduced as a free option then it must stay that way. 

As a long time user of Fitbit devices I expect to be supported with new features, instead I feel robbed of the features I once had. I can't afford to pay a monthly subscription.

If this is the kind of “support” I can expect from Fitbit in the future then I will shift to a competing product. I believe Fitbit will lose many customers if they continue to take away features from free account users. 

Please restore sleeping heart rate and restlessness data to free users.

Thank you.

Regards,

Michael.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @MikeJames, thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option to check your sleep information. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Under Consideration". You can learn more about here. Keep adding your suggestions!

Status changed to: Released (Premium)
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks for sharing this suggestion. We’re very happy to let you know that this suggestion will be released on Fitbit Premium, our new health and fitness subscription serviceFitbit Premium includes graphs to illustrate how much your heart rate slows down during sleep and how this affects your sleep quality. Fitbit Premium will also have a Sleep Score where you can receive a nightly score in the Fitbit app for better insight into your sleep quality. Your score is based on heart rate (sleeping and resting), restlessness, time awake and Sleep Stages.

@Yuriy, in recognition of your excellent suggestion, each of your votes will now count as 5 votes – you have the power! Thank you for sharing your idea, and thanks to all the voters and commenters for your enthusiasm which has now materialized for everyone’s benefit. We hope you all enjoy this new addition to the Fitbit product or service!

GRoman
Jogger
Great!

Greg
bliss_s
Recovery Runner
Mainco
Jogger

Fitbit has added a nightly sleep score that is worthless unless they can also provide information as to what this score is based on. For example; if it is 20% light sleep versus 1% deep or whatever -- we really need to know why the score is Poor, Fair or Good.

BenSt
Jogger
I slept only 5 hours and got a score of 80. Pretty silly. Even a night
when I slept 7 hours I failed to get a score so high. I agree with
Mainco (Jogger)'s comment.
comaradotcom
First Steps

I would like to see a feature that combines the tracking of my sleep with the exercise I did the previous day, (perhaps optionally with nutrition, though I prefer to use myfitnesspal). So I would like to see metrics on how Fitbit thinks I'm recovering...is it sufficient etc. Use machine learning techniques to adapt the recovery rate to my performance. I don't know the name of the competitor, but I see there is a competitor on the market (from instagram stories) that gives people their % recovery.

I would also like to integrate a feature to import my food from myFitnessPal as I think they have a much richer database of foods. I have also created recipes there that I am not bothered to replicate manually on Fitbit's nutrition section.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @comaradotcom! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request. Post a comment or click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @comaradotcom, thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Released". You can learn more about here. Keep adding your suggestions!

mortonboots
Recovery Runner
The Restoration sub-score provides a one-size-fits-all score for every user. Perhaps different sleep chronotypes will have a different looking graph than a hammock which is below RHR for much of the night. Fitbit should provide more information about the science of sleeping heart rate 'norms' or at least provide more insight into how to lower SHR.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @mortonboots, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see more in-depth sleep data analysis. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Released" for Fitbit Premium. You can learn more about it here. Keep adding these suggestions.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.