New Simple, Long Battery Life, Clip Fitbit

If we are trying to get people moving than Fitbit needs a Back to Basics model. The elderly or those who don't want to track sleep, heartbeat, gps, music and that sort of thing really need a quality basic model. This model should have Clip, lanyard option and the hook up for the bands. The step count accuracy of "Fitbit One" was very high. It has been my favorite out of all the fitness trackers I've had. I can't wear bands on my wrist, I never wear bracelets or watches. Those models had to be put in a pocket which was less than convenient. Here is what I am hoping for in a fitness tracker.

1.Accuracy in counting steps 2. Stair climbing counter 3. For the tracker to be small and clip comfortably to the middle of my bra. 4. estimated calorie burn 5. 2 week battery life like the fitbit One. 6. A button to click through the features quickly 7. The clip to come in various colors and at least one clip to be included with the purchase 8. a clock 9. waterproof for swimming

I also think that to improve any current models it would be amazing if we could go to our dashboard and shut off all the features we don't use to save battery life. 

Moderator edit: Clarified subject

109 Comments
Glendamay
Recovery Runner

Many of us would love to have a clip on tracker that includes floors climbed 

NZLisa
Base Runner

Yes, we want a replacement for the One - and the Inspire might have come close, but failed on the stair counting feature.  

To be honest, I don't really mind paying extra for the clip, especially if it means I can still get a clippable device.  But counting stairs is important to me.  Fitbit sure are making it hard for us to keep loving them Smiley Wink

dragonheart13
Base Runner

I like the idea of the Inspire, I just wish you DIDN'T have to PAY EXTRA to get a clip.  I won't use the wristbands I won't wear it on my wrist ever, why pay additional for a clip?  The Inspire should come with the clip OR give the purchaser a choice of wristband OR clip to come with the device.

If it was just, say, $5, I could  live with that.  But $20 for something that should be included, that is not cool FitBit, not cool.

While I personally don't really care too much one way or the other about having the tracker count floors, I DO enjoy seeing how my floors I go with my One (although I think the floors feature is not working properly anymore, it says floors were climbed when I barely have walked up a small incline in a parking lot), and I know many, many people would love to have something like the Inpsire that also counts floors!

ARMRN
First Steps

So, I am clearly not the only ONE who was dismayed to learn the Fitbit One had been discontinued. The day the start button fell off of my One tracker, I knew it was going to be hard to find a replacement. I can't believe they left the altimeter off of the Inspire/Inspire HR!!!!! Come on, people!

maryclaire3
Runner

Does anybody know if the waterproof fitbits ( Inspire, Charge 3) are also washing machine proof? I've just lost my very last One to the washer - I'm notorious for this 🙁 Considering one of those as a replacement but would find a way to use Charge as a clip-on.

stonelms19
Stepping Up

I am a long term Fitbit customer (more than 10 years).  I currently have a One which is beginning to fail.  I love the features of the One with its discreet profile and clip-on design.  I have a watch and do not need another one.  I work at a treadmill desk work station.  None of the wrist trackers track steps accurately if your arms are stationary, such as walking at a treadmill desk.  None of the current trackers available are something I would buy or that would work for me.  Fitbit will be losing me and many others as a customer with the absence of an adequate replacement for the One.  I and others want a clip-on tracker with all of the features of the One.  You had a great product, and not sure why it was discontinued.  The basic clip-on tracker that replaced it was a dud because it was larger, not rechargeable, and limited features.  Please bring back a One type tracker or a similarly featured clip-on replacement.

rboltuck
Jogger

I was also disappointed when I discovered that Fitbit's new clip-on products omit "Floors".  I, too, like many others commenting here, started early on with the wonderful Fitbit One -- simple in all respects, accurate, rechargeable -- and it INCLUDED FLOORS.  Floors are an important reinforcer for those of us who do mountain climbing or whose daily walks include a lot of hills.

Does anyone know -- maybe it's discussed somewhere else in the Community Forum -- why Fitbit began making devices without Floors?  Was this just a money-saving measure?  Or was there a technical motivation, perhaps it's original implementation was flawed in some way?  Any answers about that?  If we understood what lies behind the decision, we might be able to discuss and address that.

The Inspire with clip seems to me to be the new Fitbit One -- except that it lacks Floors.  From a consumer's perspective, please Fitbit, explain how this represents progress and improvement.

Glendamay
Recovery Runner
👍
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hello @KimFu.

Thanks for taking the time to share your idea on what a new device could be. I'm sure that there are lots of other users that would appreciate such a device. 

Let's see what others have to say about your idea.

jkahne
Recovery Runner

Please bring back FitBit One - or a real equivalent.  The front button fell off my One so I have to use a paperclip.  I have a watch so anything on my wrist was a non-starter.  I just want something like the One, clips on shirt, fits in my pocket.  I bought an Inspire because it seemed like the closest match.  Once I got it to the house I realized my mistake.  It doesn't track stairs, battery life is abysmal the list goes on... 

Fitbit - you had a very good product in the One.  Why ruin a good thing.  Don't create things that are close to original.  The new product graveyard is full of examples.  Replacing One with Inspire is the New Coke of Fitbit!  

Bring it back...

GKWtpa
First Steps

Great job on adding a clip for the Inspire - (and I understand it doesn't work for HR - that's obvious) - but I'd like the clip option for a model that has steps, stairs, and calories. I live in Florida where it is very hot and sweaty for walking. I have been using my Fitbit One since Feb of 2014 and have 22,319,607 lifetime steps and 26,123 lifetime stairs. I'd like the option of wearing my Fitbit on a clip some of the time. I may like using it on my wrist some of the time - but I won't let it replace a dress watch. I can conceal my One in a pocket with work clothes. If you offer a clip accessory for the Charge 3, I'll likely buy it - and maybe alternate bands, too.  The clip option, however, is the thing that seals the deal. 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @GKWtpa! That’s an interesting idea. A Fitbit device with these characteristics could be useful for a lot of users, thanks for sharing it.  I've moved it into a similar suggestion, as the more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

AuntieS
Recovery Runner

I have become increasingly frustrated with Fitbit.  We have been asking for a clip on tracker (not the Zip - inferior) for quite some time and they brush us off and tell us there is something for everyone.  When my One dies, I will be moving on to something else unless they get their act together.   There are several threads with over 300 posts asking for a clip on tracker that is discreet, rechargeable and counts stairs.  Hope someone on this thread has some pull because the majority of us have given up on Fitbit.

JEH1
Tempo Runner

I agree but I also agree with the post from @AuntieS . I am fortunate enough to still have my ONE. And it is perfect. We have never had a plausible explanation for why Fitbit cancelled it so suddenly ( no warning at all) and why they can’t bring it back.

anyone who wants to wear it in his/ her wrist can just buy an after market wrist band.

Sunrider
Recovery Runner

I think FitBit no longer cares about it's longstanding customers and what we'd like to see in new models, even though that would mean making money off us.  It's all about being seen on the wrist and the "free advertisement" that garners. 

My husband is in the market for a new device, and it pains me that I really can't give a "highly recommend" to Fitbit's current offerings.  It's ridiculous that a company that started with clipable trackers has now forgotten about the device that made it's name. 

If that makes any sense.

Glendamay
Recovery Runner
And when you talk to customer support about it, they get an attitude
cjotter
Jogger

My daughter can’t wear a watch for sports at school so this would be ideal. 

HikerJohn
First Steps

Chalk up another voice. I've loved my One and my wife has loved hers. Sadly hers won't sync any more. If we reset it then it usually syncs once, before failing again the next day. Mine is starting to get unreliable.

I walk in the mountains a lot so if a tracker doesn't count floors I have no interest in it. I hate plastic things on my wrist - I had a Charge briefly and loathed every single thing about it. Alternative materials aren't much of an option because I have 7 watches I wear depending on the occasion and don't want to be committed to wearing the same one watch all the time.

Since whatever genius decided the One could be cut and the Inspire doesn't count floors (not to mention the terrifying number of 1-star reviews it gets), I guess Fitbit is very soon to lose another two customers. Don't forget guys, once you lose a customer it's probably forever because if someone else looks after us we won't be back any time soon.

GKWtpa
First Steps
I thought my One died a couple of weeks ago, but it revived. It may be the beginning of the end.

I won’t wear a wrist tracker and I have to have floors included.

Seems like a universal clip and attachable holder for each model as accessories would solve the problem. If my One dies, I’ll keep the clip and see if it can be modified.

Sent from my iPhone
HikerJohn
First Steps

A clip option for all the trackers with detachable wrist bands would make some sense, although there's not a whole lot of point having something that measures heart rate and beeps at you every time your phone has a notification if you're going to keep it in your pocket next to your phone.

I don't want something that keeps beeping at me, I just want something that sits out of the way and tracks my steps and floors. A company like Fitbit would seem ideally placed to make such a thing. It would be a small unit that comes with a clip as standard and could clip somewhere inconspicuous like a pocket or a belt. Users of a more female persuasion could clip it on their bra or something. It might catch on, especially with a catchy name like One.

JEH1
Tempo Runner
Great post!
I wonder if the One was just TOO good. I have had mine for 4or 5years- I have lost and found it a few times and But it is still hanging in there. Maybe that just doesn’t make enough replacement money?

Sent from my iPhone.
Please excuse any typos.
Happy.
Recovery Runner

First Steps

A clip option for all the trackers with detachable wrist bands would make some sense, although there's not a whole lot of point having something that measures heart rate and beeps at you every time your phone has a notification if you're going to keep it in your pocket next to your phone.

I don't want something that keeps beeping at me, I just want something that sits out of the way and tracks my steps and floors. A company like Fitbit would seem ideally placed to make such a thing. It would be a small unit that comes with a clip as standard and could clip somewhere inconspicuous like a pocket or a belt. Users of a more female persuasion could clip it on their bra or something. It might catch on, especially with a catchy name like One.

Hiker John!  I love your idea...I hope it catches on 🤣

JEH1
Tempo Runner

What a great idea!

maryclaire3
Runner

Hiker John, your idea is a good one - let Fitbit users choose how to use their own purchased devices. I've always been pro-choice 😉

I also wonder why the altimeter is rarely an option on the newer Fitbit products?

smylegirl
Recovery Runner

I'm worried about the day my One stops working and I have to replace it with something else. I've had a Fitbit since 2012 (started with the Ultra) and really appreciate the design, discreetness, and increased accuracy of a clip-on tracker vice a wristband. I also really appreciate being able to track flights of stairs climbed. I'm wondering if the altimeter works better on a device that is worn more closely to the core than a wristband, and that's why they've discontinued it on all their newer products?

I've been such a loyal Fitbit customer that I haven't even looked at other devices to see if they track flights of stairs-- yet. For now, I'll hold out hope that Fitbit will come back to its roots and provide a new device that does the things that the Ultra/One did/do, but when the fateful day comes that my One no longer works, I will not put customer loyalty above purchasing a product that has the features I want.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.