Notification on Fitbit device when phone is out of range

There are a lot of thrid party apps that will notify you by push notification on your phone if you forget your wristband, but i want a notification on my wristband when i get out of range from my phone.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

137 Comments
jacksnothere
Jogger

Saved me also when I had a Steele; numerous times.. my nephew could code this in a day or two.. lol and we have to what? Vote on it or something.. get real and just add it as a switch... on or off.. 

BigBowzer
Jogger

Hear that Fitbit???  There's no excuse for your inaction on this simple request.  There's a lot of junk already on my Fitbit that I don't need.  Why not this notifier app?  I'd even pay for it.  I bet a lot of other users would too.  Fitbit are you listening?????

jerith
Stepping Up

I would like the bluetooth connection status to be available in the API as well, so that I can add an indicator to my watchface. (Should this be a separate feature request?)

BigBowzer
Jogger

This is almost the same as this suggestion that has over 500 thumbs up  
"Alarm when Paired Phone Contact is Lost (so don't forget to put on Fitbit!) "

Why not combine them into one app that notifies BOTH on the Fitbit and on the Phone!
We don't want to forget either one!!!!!

I don't understand why this app is not available.  Or is it, and it's just impossible to find it here?????????????

GaryDH
First Steps

We are all prone to walking off and leaving our iPhone at home, work, in the car, at a restaurant, or where ever we inadvertently set it down. It would be nice if, when I walk a certain distance away from my phone, that I would get a notification on my watch. Even better if the distance could be chosen by the  user. I’m tired of having to go back and get my phone after leaving it. 

Moderator edit: Clarified subject

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hello @GaryDH

Thanks for taking the time to share your idea with us.

Let's see what other users think about this.

TomCunningham
Recovery Runner

I vote for at least an alarm on the tracker when the phone is out of range.

BigBowzer
Jogger
The more votes we get the better! Please verify your vote registered.
Thanks!
OtiliaOti
Jogger

I would really love this! I am actually looking right now for any gadget on the market that can offer this kind of alert / notification when it loses the connection with the phone because I tend to leave my phone everywhere and often lose it completely. 

I was disappointed that FitBit doesn't offer this. Hope the feature will be provided in future versions.

GaryDH
First Steps
I agree that it just makes sense to incorporate this feature with the Fitbit products. I have looked for something similar but I can’t find it either. I thought maybe someone had developed an app or invented a keychain for this purpose but I was wrong. The Fitbit would be perfect for this. I constantly leave my phone at work or the house and either have to go back and get it or do without. And then there are the times I leave it at a restaurant or on the sales counter of a retail store. Then I have to trace all my steps looking for it. Would be a great feature for young and old. Let’s hope it catches on.

Away from office. Sent from my iPhone.

To the extent any advice relating to a Federal tax issue is contained in this communication, including any attachments, it was not written or intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of avoiding any tax related penalties that may be imposed on you or any other person under the Internal Revenue Code, or for promoting, marketing or recommending to another person any transaction or matter addressed in this communication.
Kanji27
First Steps

Yes, I totally agree, my Bluetooth headset use to make a noise when it disconnected from my phone and knew I didn’t have it. I wish it would alert me when my phone is out of range. 

afranciscolo
First Steps

Yes please! This would be a very smart and useful feature.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Please add this feature for versa! If often forget my Phone in my worker pants. 😞

BigBowzer
Jogger
Thank you for promoting this request! Please let your friends with Versas
know, so they can promote this feature too. The more support we get, the
more likely it will happen.
eventhorizons
First Steps

I got an Ionic last week after my Kickstarter Pebble Steel, which was my very first smartwatch, finally died. 

The Pebble had an alert feature that let you know that it lost the connection with the phone. 

I found that to be an extremely useful feature! 

It saved me a lot of time by letting me know that I left my phone on the desk as I'm walking out to the car, instead of my realizing it after I'm driving down the road.

Fitbit bought Pebble just for the engineers and programmers, so let's make use of that synergy!

Add my vote for a similar feature. 

Thanks.

eventhorizons
First Steps

I got an Ionic last week after my Kickstarter Pebble Steel, which was my very first smartwatch, finally died. 

The Pebble had an alert feature that let you know that it had lost the connection with the phone. 

I found that to be an extremely useful feature! 

It saved me a lot of time by letting me know that I left my phone on the desk as I'm walking out to the car, instead of my realizing it after I'm driving down the road.

Add my vote for a similar feature!  

Even if it was just in the API, maybe a custom watchface could then trigger the vibrate alert.

Thanks.

GaryDH
First Steps
........Fitbit bought Pebble just for the engineers and programmers, so let's make use of that synergy!......

I hope they read this thread! That would be great. I would literally use the feature weekly. Especially when I leave it at the office.

Away from office. Sent from my iPhone.

To the extent any advice relating to a Federal tax issue is contained in this communication, including any attachments, it was not written or intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of avoiding any tax related penalties that may be imposed on you or any other person under the Internal Revenue Code, or for promoting, marketing or recommending to another person any transaction or matter addressed in this communication.
sonok
First Steps

Fantastic idea! 

I don't understand why this was not basic function to begin with as some other competition already have this 🙂

Please, add this function. 

sonok
First Steps

Great topic! 

It'll be great if the alarm is both ways. 

When distance between phone and fitbit is too far or connection is lost. 

Should alarm both device, so that we don't forget or lose none of them.

Thank you, 

sonok
First Steps

In addition, 

It'll be great if the alarm is both ways. 

When distance between phone and fitbit is too far or connection is lost,

Should alarm both device, so that we don't forget or lose none of them.

Thank you, 

Deik
First Steps

We really need this. I miss this so much from my Pebble days!

WizardStan
Jogger

This is a feature I also miss from my Pebble, not just because it helped me on more than one occasion to remember my phone (since my Pebble died and I switched to the Versa I have forgotten my phone at home twice and the office once) but more immediately I've noticed the Versa STILL has issues with notifications.  Until that bug is resolved and the connection has more guarantees it would be very useful for the watch itself to just, every so often (every minute or 5), ping the phone to see if it's still there and has any pending notifications.  Or maybe the app sends out a false notification every minute or 5 and the watch just listens for these: whatever way it needs to work under the covers doesn't matter.

Some kind of ping-pong message between watch and phone every few minutes and if it is not received in a timely fashion the watch vibrates and pops up a "connection lost" notification.

Marielisa
First Steps

Hello! The Charge 3 and the smartphone should alert you if at any given moment the Bluetooth connection between the two devices is getting weak or has been lost completely. In other words, the Charge 3 should alert loss of bluetooth signal with the phone and viceversa. This should be a feature that you can turn on or off and the alert should be able to be dismissed without necessarily reestablishing the connection. This helps immensely in situations where you leave your phone or your Charge 3 behind. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion.

Winterglo
Walker

I also miss this feature from my Pebble. I can't always tell if my Versa is currently connected to my phone (and have missed notifications when the connection was lost), so a vibration, as well as an indicator that can be added to the watch face, would be super helpful!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.