Option for vibrate only for notifications (No screen waking)

After the latest fitbit OS 3.0 update, the screen now turns on with every received notification. The majority of time this is when the device is covered by your sleeve or you're not looking at it, therefore wasting the battery when the screen is unnecessarily turned on and also a lack of privacy. 

I know some people may want this option but for those of us that don't, a toggle to revert it back to pre OS 3.0 behaviour would be very welcomed. So this would be vibrate when a notification is received and then when you raise your arm or push the button to wake the screen, the notification will be waiting to be viewed.

Moderator Edit: Updated label

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

41 Comments
markgranto
Recovery Runner

Upgraded my Versa to 3.0 yesterday and now appears the option for the Screen wake - auto has changed.

Prior to the upgrade you could set the versa to wake the screen when you raised your wrist, but not wake when you receive a notification (it would only vibrate.....if you had the vibrate option toggled in the app).

Now it appears that has been removed, and you can only have it set to wake for both OR neither.

Why has this been removed and can it be readded?

markgranto
Recovery Runner

P.S. I used the online chat with Fitbit who walked me through all the settings and agreed that this function appears to have been omitted, and suggested I post here

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Yes, an option to revert to only show when Quick View involved.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. This option was very useful. Hopefully, it will get a lot of votes. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

Marrrmaduke
Marathon Racer

@N8teGee, Thank you for posting it!!! @SantiR, @KateFitbit, @MatthewFitbit Thanks guys for all you're doing! I would really appreciate this option. I can't have my Versa screen on during meetings. Not to mention huge battery drain. 😞 Pretty please!

Marrrmaduke
Marathon Racer

@markgranto thank you for posting it! There's similar thread here. @SantiR, should we merge these two requests? The one here and the one posted by @N8teGee that I linked above?

markgranto
Recovery Runner

@Marrrmaduke yeah that would be great, cheers.

Gompka
Jogger

I would also like this, waste of battery to have it turn on all the time, makes more sense to have it pop up the next time you use quick view. 

monykaboth
Recovery Runner

Could you please fix this Notification sreen awake only vibrating like it was before update?!? For privacy AND battery saver?! It is like everyone can have a look into my phone! Not ok! 

OhSheeshV
Base Runner

For battery saving purposes, PLEASE create this toggle to turn off screen wake upon getting notifications!!!!

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @markgranto, thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has a lot of votes. As the more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

markgranto
Recovery Runner

@YojanaFitbit thanks! 

Jorgerc85
Jogger

This! I really liked this feature. Not sure why you would get rid of an existing option to force a set behavior for every user but it would be amazing if we could get it back to the way it was before OS 3. Thanks!

jakef
Jogger

I'd love to see this feature as well

BruanTromsa
Jogger

Thank you for suggesting this. It's been driving me crazy since the recent update. Agree with the comments above that it's not fantastic for privacy, and not very professional if you're in a meeting. Please reinstate ASAP!

TooFarPaul
First Steps

Please add this - when at work in meetings I don't need my watch showing everyone my notifications, it is a complete breach of privacy.  I was 100% happy with my versa until after the update and now have to either turn notifications off or have every see my notifications.  

Please add the ability to do vibrate on notifications only, please, please, please. 

TooFarPaul
First Steps

Please add the ability to vibrate only on notification so it doesn't auto-wake the watch in meetings or public - I don't need my watch showing everyone my notifications but I want to be notified like before the "upgrade", it is a complete breach of privacy.  I was 100% happy with my versa until after the update and now have to either turn notifications off or have everyone see my notifications.  

Please add the ability to do vibrate on notifications only, please.

That could be very useful for saving battery life. Me personally i don’t see istantanly every notification so a energy wasted.

P.S. My battery life last all the 7 days they said it will last when I don’t use exerciseprograms.

kitten0000
Recovery Runner

I work at a store and i see customers look at my Versa when i get an notification when rapping gifts... why was the option to only vibrate removed? Everybody can read my messages and also drains my battery ( 20 messages a hour ) 

Please fix this with an update or let me go back tot the previous software version.

kruti33
First Steps

I don't like that the screen automatically turns on now when I receive a notification. One of the things I loved about my versa was getting my notifications on it but to be able to pick when to let the screen turn on. I don't need anyone near me reading my messages, especially for work meetings so it would be best if I can choose when to wake my screen. Pretty upset about this update actually.

Riea85
Jogger

I completely agree. It is not always appropriate at work to have notifications showing up and it’s a complete breech if privacy too. I’ve really been looking forward to upgrading to the versa from the charge 2 but actually part of me wishes I hadn’t all because of this one feature 

nnamdizzle81
First Steps

I have been a proud consumer of the Fitbit product and trust in the brand. They make spectacular products and their customer service has always been great.

I recently purchased the Fitbit Ionic, and instantly fell in love, then shortly thereafter, Fitbit released an update that causes your notifications to automatically show on your watch without you raising your wrist. How can this be ok? In a world where privacy is at the forefront of everybody's mind, how can this be acceptable? Imagine you're sleeping and somebody sends you a sensitive message that's meant for your eyes only and it's just displayed for the world to read. That's not ok. Please, revert back the old way of notifications where I could feel the vibration, and then knew I had to raise my wrist to see the notification. I can't imagine I'm the only one that feels this way, right?

Thanks

nnamdizzle81
First Steps

THIS!!!!!

Talk about an awful waste of battery, let alone the privacy implications! Please go back to the way it was or at least give us an option! I wanted to toss out my Fitbit when it started doing this and they told me that it couldn't be changed.

It should be

Vibrate on wrist to notify

Raise wrist to wake screen and see notification

It should not just automatically turn on your screen and show the notification! Doggone awful

Jorgerc85
Jogger

I think this is a duplicate. This suggestion is related to the same issue https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Option-for-vibrate-only-for-notifications-No-scr....

Let's bring "Raise to wake/Vibrate only" back!! 

ArtOsi
First Steps

Please add ability to vibrate only for notifications. I constantly have to hide my watch at work every time I get notifications. Breach of privacy and surely drainage of battery. Many thanks

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.