Recovery/ Injured / Sick mode or required rest

I had a nasty cold all week so of course I am only at about 50% on most goals, and it brings my average way down. I wish there was a way to hit "Pause" on your counting so you can focus on getting healthy and continue on your goals when you are better.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels/Title for Clarity

188 Comments
eballe
Jogger

Fatigue has been linked to have the same affects as being drunk. Set algorithm to track fatigue in relation to sleep

Moderator edit: labels. 

ChanaR
Jogger
I don't wear my flex on the Sabbath or holy days. It would be great if we could set days off so the weekly summary would be more reflective of average daily activity.
FitzBeloved
First Steps
That would be helpful.
Lizum
Jogger
Hi. Some goals/settings based around limiting activity so that people who suffer from chronic fatigue can pace their activity better and manage the fatigue would be great!
FloraS
Jogger

I have a serious knee injury so I'm not currently meeting my goals and indeed not even trying to achieve them as my current goals are different (being able to walk unsupported, for example). It would be great if the Fitbit app had an injury mode to support you through an injury period, rather than encouraging you to lower your goals and comparing your progress against times of full fitness as it currently does.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

EricJRW
Distance Runner

I like it. It would be nice to put a "normal" goal pause, and maybe even have a "ramp up" period top get back on track. Great idea.

JennyJenn
Base Runner

Yes, please add this feature.

A poster above mentioned FitBit might be less apt to do this because people would take advantage, but those people would just stop using the device, anyway. It's actually much more discouraging to a hardcore user, or even a regular user, to get sick and lose the great averages we were getting.

I woke up with a sore throat this morning (got my FitBit last Wednesday) and I'm already pushing myself more than I should BECAUSE of FitBit. It would be healthier if FitBit had this feature so those overachievers/perfectionists/others don't make themselves even sicker by trying to reach goals that should only be attempted when healthy. This would be a great addition to the devices, a very, very healthy addition.

I also agree it would be great to track sick days to see a pattern (whether food, calories, high-step/high-active days, whatever). I've read that people noticed their resting heartrate increase a couple of days before getting sick (with FitBit's heartrate tracker). So, when they notice their resting heartrate increasing, they realize they might be fighting something and take steps to avoid getting sick. If we could easily/at a glance check our sick days and see a pattern, we could head it off and maybe not even get sick that next time. All with the simple addition of being able to pause the FitBit and mark ourselves as sick.

It could even work in reverse, if we notice our goals dropping, it might make us cneck in with ourselves if there's a pattern that develops before we get sick. Just like the resting heartrate raising, it could be a tip off that we're starting to come down with something and, again, head it off at the pass and get the chance to beat the sick before even getting sick.

I hope you continue to review this feature idea and implement it really soon!! Thank you.

JennyJenn
Base Runner

I agree. This would be a great feature.

Squidlybit
Recovery Runner
Yep I'll 3rd this idea, I have no injuries Thank God but this feature would be useful
Sbarba01
First Steps
I really like my Fitbit. Unfortunately a recent injury has halted my progress and got me thinking.

If Fitbit would allow us to log common injuries and illnesses in the app (sprains, broken bones, pulled/torn muscles, common cold, flu, etc) then offer suggestions on how to recover the user can stay engaged with their fitness and truly feel as though Fitbit is there for them at their times of weakness.

Of course nothing replaces going to the Dr, but offering suggestions on ice/heat intervals and allowing the user to set reminders for medications or when to apply ice or heat therapy during recovery would be immensely helpful.

To enhance this idea, for injury, Fitbit could offer modified workouts to help with recovery (ex. such as stretches and air ABC's for sprains). And full workouts eliminating the injury site, for instance modified arm/chest/back/ab workouts for injuries to the lower body and modified ab/leg/cardio for upper body injuries.

That way users can track healing/recovery in app and not get off track with their pursuit of a healthy lifestyle. I think it would be nice for Fitbit to incorporate all aspects of fitness.
xxsarahrodxx
First Steps
Brilliant idea!
JessandherAlta
First Steps

I am just sitting here with a terrible heacold and nodding along with all these comments. Please make this happen. I know that fitbit is supposed to be a cheerleader to help us be our best, but sometimes the activity notifications can just make us feel worse.

A little "I'm Sick Today" button could also trigger some nifty switches in prompts, like encouraging the wearer to log their fluid intake and take a break when possible. Fitbit works great in its preventative capacity, now let's work on how it helps us recouperate too.

CGati
Recovery Runner

As the Relax feature on Charge 2 is based on HRV analysis, is would be a nice development if it was possible to get a fatigue/recovery status. There are already a few other devices doing this.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

BHudson
First Steps

Alrighty. I got my new Fitbit (Charge 2 - my previous Fitbits were the Flex and Charge HR) yesterday and it arrived just as I'm going through a bout of the flu. Of course I'm already wearing it but I'd love a feature that allows you to log sick days and the step counts would be omitted from your averages. I get obsessed with my step counts and active minutes so it hurts my soul to lose out on averages whenever I'm sick. I won't  die without this feature being introduced but it would make me feel a whole lot better when I'm curled up in bed staring longingly at my tracker and wishing I could be active. Thanks!

l4urence
Jogger

This is a a great suggestion. I've been monitoring my heart rate for decades, involving checking waking heart rate overtime, a spike in the normal is a good sign that I've not recovered and I can take a break. It can also be an indication of incoming cold or illness. I'm new to the Fitbit and this feature would be outstanding. 

Nice idea,I would love this!

Revati
First Steps

We all get sick sometimes, and it would be cool if fitbit could remind us of ways to take care when we are not feeling well. So perhaps instead of an alert to get up and walk around, an alert that reminds me to drink some h20. As a mom of a toddler in daycare, I get sick fairly often, and it would be nice to be able to still use the fitbit for something. 

DrSonal21
First Steps

Hi! Fitbit charge2 reached me& I enjoyed it for 1 day- tracking food& my steps-when the very next day I felt ill& due to viral fever had to stay in bed& rest. Due to vomiting & fever I kept track of my pulse on Fitbit but obviously cannot move around much. It would spoil my average when I have full intent to keep up with good activity level. So there should be a way to inform on app that you are unwell. A sick day feature so those 1-2 days can b eliminated from ur activity level calculations. Sleep & pulse will continue & be helpful in illness ( despite not being a medical app ) so one would not want to take off the Fitbit or switch off during sickness. I hope the app developers try to think of adding such a feature to the wonderfully designed UI of your app. Within 24 hrs of its arrival I was in love with the features of charge2 & the app. I even downloaded fitstar & want to start premium workouts on it. But the sudden viral fever derailed me from my desired path. 

So dear Fitbit app tech guys pls think of adding sickness feature so people stay motivated positively 

LAshortbus
First Steps

This is a great idea! 

ClaudiaRosa
First Steps

Hello,

I love my fitibit charge 2 and I would like to have an option for my rest day. Sunday are my rest day and It is very important to rest a full day, but I didn't find an option for my rest day. My week report will not be accurate because I 'fail' in every goals on sunday (but my goal on Sunday is to rest so, in truth, I did not fail).
Thank you

Moderator edit: labels.

Krisbiee18
First Steps

There should be an option to say a certain day was a sick day so it doesn't count that day in your stats! 

Pruett
Jogger

So this is a suggestion I posted in the Charge 2 help section and I would like the developers to please consider this idea. Here it is.

I think that FitBit should add a sick day option to turn on if you are sick one day. You could set lower goals specific for that day. For example: Instead of 12,000 steps you could make it 2,000 steps

Pruett
Jogger

I agree with this feature here is my version of it though. Mine is a bit different where it would lower your goals and tell you to drink a blow you nose instead of telling you to move. 

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Sick-days-Copy-from-help/idi-p/1854255

Fun2serve
Jogger

Something like Strava fitness fatigue  tracking or polar recovery to prevent over training would be great.

Dundies
First Steps

It would be nice to track how long your cold/flu lasts and even your temperature in the future. Then you would know when your fever broke and when you are no longer contagious- could have reduced step goals, and increased sleep/water goals to help you to feel better sooner. It would be interesting to see how many times a year you got sick and when. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.