Recovery/ Injured / Sick mode or required rest

I had a nasty cold all week so of course I am only at about 50% on most goals, and it brings my average way down. I wish there was a way to hit "Pause" on your counting so you can focus on getting healthy and continue on your goals when you are better.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels/Title for Clarity

188 Comments
Bluesaysmew
Jogger

I had an idea where you could enable a sick mode. It wouldn't say things like "let's get moving" (since you are sick you need to rest) instead it could say things like "remember to drink water" or "remember to get plenty of rest"

Lueck767
Tempo Runner

That's a really good idea. 

Lrnzmr
Recovery Runner

You should see what the WHOOP brand is doing (whoop.com). Their focus lies on recovery. I must say I am very eager to get their strap, unfortunately they do not ship outside of the US yet.

When ordering the strap, you can use the code allaroundjoe to get a 150 dollar discount.

CGati
Recovery Runner

I haven't heard about the WHOOP system before. It looks really nice. I have to admit that I am looking into Garmin Fenix 5 and FR935. They seem to have implemented these features. The price is a bit steeper, but they have tons of extra features. 

Dino2017
First Steps

I will say this is a GREAT idea. Illness or injury can cause a hiccup in our exercise plans and goals, it would be nice to have a way to ease up on us while we recover 🙂

Dgarten
First Steps

A sick day option that at least turns movement alerts off.

Natasha42
First Steps

I totally agree!  with the above comments I've had my fit bit charge 2 since February and I have just had an operation on my bladder, I'm on rest for two weeks but I am encouraged by my surgeon to walk at least 30 steps per hour. He loved the fact that I really wanted to keep wearing my fit bit. I usually am active everyday, working out and running for 1.5 hours but feel that an additional bit on your dashboard to let fit bit know that your sick would be great!! I hate seeing my steps drop and know its only for a short time but praise for any steps during illness should be encouraged. Come on fit bit everything about the charge 2 is amazing!! but we aren't fit everyday 🙂

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MariamV
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Thanks for the feedback! I believe that having a way to track your fatigue status is to key to adequately adjust the tasks you do throughout the day based on the energy you have. This would also help determine the tasks that are most taxing on you so you can plan your day accordingly as well. 

PhilipHB
First Steps

Agree with this totally... for those competitive souls (and most of us who are motivated by Fitbt are) it can be demotivating to see your stats drop due to injury- would be great if legitimate reasons for this were able to be logged and flagged. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

It would be good if you could customize the daily goal to designate a "off day" for resting. This way your daily goals are not skewed in your tracking and you're not continually pestered by goal reminders or other notifications on a day you are intentionally resting from exercise. 

Thank you. 

Sfc4
First Steps

This would be such a fantastic feature. I've been ill with fever for the last two days and very frustrated that my daily step average will be brought down. It would be great if days could be labelled sick days so they are viewed as exceptions and not included. Last thing I want is to be feeling guilty for not being active when I'm sick. 

AngelGirl01
First Steps

I haven't been feeling good for the last couple of days.  I know I am not eating right because my stomach has been bothering me.  On top of that I haven't been getting my 5,000 steps a day for a few days since I have felt like this.  I do try and drink a lot of water but sometimes all I want to do is sleep.  I think in instances w here you feel sick or you are in the hospital you have to just let it run it's course, not worry so much about what you are and aren't doing for the sake of getting enough steps.  Than when you start feeling better is when you can get back into all the work of using the Fit-Bit.  I hope this helps.  When I am sick I just give myself a grace period.  I don't penalize myself for not losing weight; not getting all my steps in; or not working out.  I just tell myself when I start feeling better to start tracking everything again and if I don't track while I'm sick so what.  I am doing this for me no one else.  I like the community aspect of it but in the end we all can only change ourselves if that's what we want to do.  So, yeah my goals may take me a little longer to get to but only I know what my goals really are so it doesn't matter if I take a break from tracking for a few days so I can start healing. I hope this helps.  I actually came on here to see if there was any thoughts about sick days and I ended up making my own choice of how I was going to proceed.  I really like the suggestion about the reminder to drink water though because that is something I need not only when I am sick but also when I am not sick.  I just can't seem to get 64 ounces of water in me a day.  It seems like so much or 64 ounces of any kind of fluid in me.  Anyway this is probably long enough.  I hope I helped someone.  If not I know I helped myself.  

Kamelone
Recovery Runner

I would very much like a overview of my recovery status. Preferably also a rating of exercise sessions' intensity/training load. (I've seen this for other brands, like Polar).

My Charge 2 has done a very good job at getting me to be more active. Now I am a bit worried that I might do too much, too fast. After a long run, how long should I wait to run again? Am I running to fast when running far (i.e. do I get a ridiculously long recovery time after such a run)? Are my interval sessions hard enough?  

Not sure how to add more than one label/tag. This would go for all trackers with HR, and could be implemented in the app (my preference) and/or the website dashboard.

MrsDragon8
Jogger

I second that request for my Charge2

Squidlybit
Recovery Runner

I to think this would be a good idea to implement into the app.

Some switch to set when you're feeling ill and you're not able to do your step average.

LuluMarie
First Steps

Please allow us one "rest" day that is not included in our average. My one day of rest which is always a Sat or Sun messes up / lowers my step average big time. I need this one rest day due to weight training and fasted cardio 6 days a week.. it should be an option we can choose just like we can choose how many active days. Thank you!! 

MonieLyn
First Steps

Could you guys look into some kind of "temporarily limited/disabled" button option? I broke my knee in 2016 and couldn't really do anything so my Fitbit yelled at me about activity, like dudes I can't do anything, my leg won't move. And now it's yelling at me again, because the chiropractor told me no exercise for at least 4 weeks, because I have exessive skeletal trauma and scar tissue she has to disband and correct first. 23 going on 50, it's sad. But, if that was an option, you could activate it while hurt, so it gives insights with like, "try these less physically challenging options," or, "other users found these tips were helpful during recovery," and still track everything else like sleep and heart rate. I don't want to have to manually adjust my goals every time I get hurt and recover, it's tedious. But a feature that would automatically adjust goals for injury purposes and go back to normal without you having to go in and manually adjust all the settings would be great. If you don't adjust them when you're injured, it just says you didn't meet any of your goals that day, which is disheartening, and you get insights like this: 

Your activity was a little low the last few days. CDC recommends adults be active for at least 30 minutes per day 5 days a week. People who are more active tend to sleep better, so try doing 30 minutes of activity each day and see if it makes an impact.

Sometimes you just can't physically do the 30 minutes a day. After a car accident, I had such a bad concussion that I couldn't even find the floor, I walked into a wall and had no idea where I was at in the room. I can't really do much if I can't find the floor. I missed all of my goals for a week. 

FearlessFawkes
First Steps

I really wish FitBit allowed for more life-related information to be added so it's easier to see how life events were affecting exercise. Sync it with my calendar so I see that I probably ate too much one day because it was a birthday or a wedding. If I'm not getting my steps in because I'm sick or injured I want to be able to log it. That would allow for a much more detailed picture of my overall habits and health and more useful at tracking trends beyond how many steps I take.

Juddel
First Steps

Have only been using a charge 2 for the last month and l found it disappointing that there is not a button that you can hit when you are sick. Got a bad chest infection and told not to exercise etc for a week at least (not that l could have exercised anyway). 

SJMay
Jogger

I like to build in two rest days in every seven. It would be useful when selecting number of days to exercise that they could be designated  ( so that the days of exercise are not consecutive by default).

Susananne52
Recovery Runner

I would really like to see an icon or similar on the Dashboard that I can use when I am feeling so poorly that it is an effort to walk from the sofa to the bathroom let alone walk 15,000 steps. I feel so guilty when on these days, fortunately very infrequently, that I 'forget' to wear my Fitbit.

luismtzroman
Jogger

I have used different sport watches (Suunto, Timex, Tomtom, Polar, Garmin) and some of them, the ones with all the bells and whistles; they vendors offer that function.

Now I'm using the Fitbit Ionic and I see it doesn't have that capability, to add this is too complicated?

Thanks!

luismtzroman
Jogger

I have used different sport watches (Suunto, Timex, Tomtom, Polar, Garmin) and some of them have Recovery Status and that means, how many hours my body needs to recover from the effort I just did.

Now I'm using the Fitbit Ionic and I see it doesn't have that capability, have you guys thinking to add that function? to add this is too complicated?

Thanks!

Dolmedo
Jogger

There should be an app to track your strain from any given workout along with an overall strain score for the day. Along with this there should be a recovery score to let you know how much sleep/recovery to get before your next workout. I’ve seen this feature in other devices such as Whoop 2.0 and many of the Garmin smart watches and it’s time Fitbit catches up!

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

barbsee
First Steps

New user. One successful semi-week then I got the flu. Didn't wear my charge 2 for about 5 days. Now I can't get it to come on. It's parked on the charger. Phone app can't link to it.

I've read all these similar Comments but see no solutions. Please help- I want to fully re-enter my fitness quest tomorrow.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.