Recovery/ Injured / Sick mode or required rest

I had a nasty cold all week so of course I am only at about 50% on most goals, and it brings my average way down. I wish there was a way to hit "Pause" on your counting so you can focus on getting healthy and continue on your goals when you are better.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels/Title for Clarity

188 Comments
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @cavaza15!  That’s an interesting idea, thanks for sharing why you would like to have an option to track your road to recovery. You can also check this other suggestion: Group for Joint Replacement / Injury Rehab. I've moved it into a similar suggestion, as the more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

mmm43
Recovery Runner
I've been watching this topic since I got my Fitbit last Sept and have seen plenty of posts about this topic. Unfortunately what I haven't seen was any indication of Fitbit caring to do anything about it or any of the other improvements I and others have suggested. This mod seems like such a no brainer since every athlete is injured or sick sometimes. Given their tunnel vision concentration on the needs of workout lovers you'd think they would do it.

Sent from my iPad
RGP982
First Steps

Whoop fitness has a really cool feature where it monitors your bodies recovery and breaks it down into zones. Green for good to go. Yellow for proceed with caution. Red to take it easy. I believe Fitbit already monitors all the vitals to introduce something like this with Heart Rate Variability, Resting Heart Rate, Sleep Tracking, etc. 

DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @RGP982, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us about having the option to monitor the recovery status, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned.

Tinystep
Jogger

On the app, it might be useful to have an icon near the top you can select on any days you are sick. This can then appear in week, month, or year views of stats,  and will be highlighted if you scroll back to that day. This is to avoid confusion or possible disheartened feelings if you see stats for a day that you were sick (but forgot), that look less good than those of other days.

possibly, it might even be useful to choose the sort of sickness (cold/flu, vomiting, etc), as a different affliction might affect your stats in different ways. Personally, a slight cold will only bring down my total exercise a bit, whereas a gastrointestinal infection will keep me bed-bound.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Tinystep, thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has a lot of votes. As the more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

JoanPrice
Jogger

We've been asking *FOR YEARS* for an "ill" or "injured" pause option that does not count against our usual workout stats. We ask, agree, keep adding votes and comments, then it starts all over in another thread. Why won't Fitbit pay any attention to this healthy and obvious request?

NatFigBar
First Steps

When I was pregnant my resting heart rate increased drastically not because I was unfit, it was purely because I was pregnant.

The same goes for while I am sick. So wouldn’t it be more accurate to be able to select when you are pregnant or sick so the fitbit app doesn’t suddenly think your fitness levels have decreased drastically. Also could give appropriate health tips for pregnant women and for people whilst they are sick.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @NatFigBar! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request. Post a comment or click on the thumbs-up to show your support. You can also check this other suggestion to leave your vote on it. 

DonS8558
Recovery Runner

ALL...Stop discussing this topic with Fitbit....all they do is say, 'This is interesting' without actually adding the feature the way we describe.  Great job listening to your customers for two years!!!

DonS8558
Recovery Runner

ALL...Stop discussing this topic with Fitbit....all they do is say, 'This is interesting' without actually adding the feature the way we describe.  Great job listening to your customers for two years!!!

Crystaln1
Jogger

I have mobility issues and would love a mode that recognises my targets may be lower than the app likes for a reason, and doesn't prompt me to join impossible challenges with my able bodied friends. It would be great if this could be combined with a change to sensitivity level so, for example, my slow progress up stairs doesn't mean the four flights I've navigated are totally ignored - especially when this is one of the goals the physio has me working on. 

Sugarfree23
Jogger

In case anybody's picking up on this, I'd like to add my voice to the requests for a sickness/injury mode. I have regular hospital treatment that involves six hours a day on IV medication for a week at a time. While I still move about as much as I can on those days (with my drip stand in tow), I could really do without the 'you can do better than this' messaging!

SJMay
Jogger
Quite agree. It is de-motivating & does not encourage one to try, but rather look at other time pieces which enlightens you to the success achieved regardless. I will be looking for something now that does this, & bin the Fitbit platform.

Sent from my iPhone
SJMay
Jogger

Quite agree. It is de-motivating & does not encourage one to try, but rather look at other time pieces which enlightens you to the success achieved regardless. I will be looking for something now that does this, & bin the Fitbit platform.

Sent from my iPhone

Gam3rG1rl
First Steps

I would like to see a feature in which you can customize it when you are sick or injured, and it's only temporary. I know you can change your goals, but it sets it as permanent. I would like to see it, like the feminine health, where you can set it when you are sick, and it lowers/alters your goals.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Gam3rG1rl! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request. Post a comment or click on the thumbs-up to show your support. You can also check this other suggestion, post.

ChanaR
Jogger
Thumbs up.
878LVC
First Steps

Hello hello.

I'm a new FitBit user (just a week almost) and I live with rheumatoid arthritis and there are some days, often in a row, when my RA is out of control. 

That means that I can't attempt to get steps logged at all.

In turn, it makes me feel defeated because my Inspire FitBit is constantly encouraging to move.

I'd love a feature that would allow me to log those 'bad' days and let me recover before making me feel defeated.

I'm sure that other people who live with chronic or life-limiting conditions would enjoy such a feature.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks so much for sharing this suggestion! While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and your input is a big part of that process. We truly thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

JohannaRD93
First Steps

Could you please incorporate recovery heart rate after 1 and 2 minutes of ending an exercise? It's SUCH an important measurement and all the data is there!!

EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @JohannaRD93, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about incorporating recovery heart rate. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here to keep this board organized.

AK48
First Steps

I was recently in a car accident and couldn't exercise for over 6 weeks. It would be nice if I could report an incident like that and have support getting back to health. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

When You're sick, it would be great to able to let the tracker know, and it could either be less remindful, or out could even switch to encouraging proper sleep, water, and any other things that come to mind that are needed when you re sick. (Nothing sucks like getting reminders to move when it's not the thing to do, you know?  Swap out some alternate things like logging body temp? Rx taken? Good food suggestions for when you are sick?  The mind boggles at the possibilities!  😃

RHagedon
First Steps

Would be nice to log injuries so when we are down with an injury, Fitbit app would know this and us not have to change all our setting as if we where not injured.. I average 9-10,000 steps a day at work, now I have a broken leg...

This is not to point figures at Fitbit.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.