Show average time instead of score on main sleep view

Fitbit app used to show weekly/monthly average sleep hours per day on the sleep view but now it just shows average sleep score. Can Fitbit please go back to showing average sleep hours rather than sleep score? Or at least give users the option to choose what is displayed. Average sleep hours would be more meaningful to me.

Moderator edit: Format and updated subject for clarity

204 Comments
acrefoot
First Steps

The sleep stages for the 30 Day Avg gives %s, but it should gives times. I've marked up the screenshot to show what I mean. It would also be fine if it showed both time and percentages, but average sleep time is the most relevant statistic.

I want to know if I'm getting enough REM sleep--if I pull some all nighters, it's not going to affect my percentages, but it will affect my average REM times, and that's what I need to track to know how I'm affecting my health.

30 Day Avg sleep stages

The sleep stages for Today gives times.

EmmaLemma
Jogger

Thisssss!!!!   This is what FitBit needs!!!!!!

First Steps

Not everyone has heart-rate-tracking Fitbits and the sleep score average tells us absolutely nothing.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thanks for sharing this suggestion @lyssfitz @637282628.

We'll see what other Community members think. Once any update be available it will be communicated as soon as possible.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @acrefoot!  That’s an interesting idea, thanks for sharing why you would like to have an option to see your sleep. I've moved it into a similar suggestion, as the more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

dahjester
First Steps

I find the sleep rating neither productive nor encouraging. It'd be like calling someone with a high BMI 'fat' on the app. It's judgmental and unproductive. This score index judges the end user and no one likes being judged. I have a 1 year old son who wakes me up earlier than I like. I already feel less than ideal when this happens—why would I want to use an app that also wants to tell me I got a failing grade on my sleep?

It's insulting and bush league for a tracker and tracking company that should know better than to 'shame' users. 

I'll give you a month to give me the option to turn off this feature or I'm moving on from fitbit, and I'm making sure I'm taking my friends with me. 

emlow
Jogger

In giving us this new 'sleep score', fitbit has removed an essential existing features.

Users should be able to easily see weekly sleep averages on their sleep screen. There is absolutely no reason this needed to be removed.

If you must add a sleep score, add it alongside the sleep averages or give users a toggle in the setting.

Don't take away something users already had. 

GoodDayMate
Jogger

Please add back the display of average weekly sleep hours on the main Sleep view instead of (or in addition to) sleep score in the mobile app.   

In the meantime, here’s a non-intuitive workaround from @Sigridde on a different community thread:  on Sleep view swipe left 3 times on graph to Hours In Sleep Stages, then click on the little square in the top right hand corner to expand the graph. It shows the  amount of sleep per sleep stage and above that is the average weekly hours in big bold white text. Swipe that screen slowly to the right to see previous week.

DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @emlow, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us about the possibility of having back the weekly sleep average feature, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned. However, this idea is still open to votes, to the team can continue to track popularity and demand over time.

emlow
Jogger

@DavideFitbit 

I notice that, by merging this with a post from before the major roll-out occurred, you have made it significantly less visible. 

Most people aren't going to go digging a month back. But, if you continually merge every person who has this frustration with a post that's hidden in the forum's history, you are effectively hiding their concerns from the people who would vote on it. 

If you wanted to actually see people's opinions on this, you would allow a post to be made and shown after the major rollout to all users. 

jkelleyfit
Jogger

This issue - that of removing weekly sleep averages in lieu of the new "sleep score" is why I am logging on here for the first time ever after 3+ years using Fitbit. It makes no sense removing the weekly sleep average and replacing it with a "sleep score."

First of all, the "sleep score" in itself does me no good. I can to some degree control how long I sleep - which is important! - but have little to no direct control over the quality of my sleep. It's good information to have, and might be helpful in understanding overall health. But no one ever "slept better" simply because they wanted to. They can, however, modify their schedules to rest longer.

For this reason, weekly average hours of sleep should be returned to prominence on the sleep screen. It would be fine to show the sleep score somewhere among the daily sleep averages information. But, please, restore the "weekly average" to its prominent and rightful place on the sleep history display. I appreciate that you want to show off a new feature, but it shouldn't be at the expense of hiding useful data that users have come to rely upon.

Final note - it is particularly irksome to now scroll back through hundreds of weeks of sleep history, almost all of which indicate "0 Sleep Score Average" because the sleep score didn't even exist until about 3 weeks ago.

emlow
Jogger

I’ve actually been surprised by how much this bothers me. 

Something about the way they hid rolling it out (pretending it was bug fixes) and the sort of insulting way they’ve been responding has made me lose all good will really quickly. 

I would have have said I liked Fitbit before this, but now, I don’t know. Even if they fix the sleep averages, I don’t know if I’ll stick with the product. It doesn’t feel like a good company to rely on. 

JD_Hawke
First Steps

If you wanted to make Sleep Score a new feature that is great. Removing the existing view of average sleep time to do it is not adding a new feature it is removing a feature. Adding a configuration to choose which you want would be satisfactory, but personally I would rather see amount of time asleep. If I could revert to the prior version of the app, I would. This is my first post after having a Fitbit for 2+ years. Came to the sight to see if I could switch back to old view. I was disappointed with what I found.

jkelleyfit
Jogger

Those who have posted here, may also want to check out this feed. Lots of good arguments against the entire concept of a "sleep score"

and ideas for how to pressure for Fitbit to acknowledge and correct this mistake.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Sleep-Better/Sleep-Score/m-p/3599210#M7652

Fit2b
First Steps

Oh my gosh, Fitbit, you took the most useful feature (avg sleep time) and replaced it with the least useful feature. I was using avg sleep time to improve my daily sleep and it helped so much. It was my main reason for using Fitbit! What were you thinking? 

NOTUserFrndly
First Steps

YES to what everyone else said.  The sleep score is meaningless to me.  I want to know total time per night at a glance.  Why did FitBit assume their users wanted this bizarre metric and take away total sleep hours and minutes with no warning?   

dscarano1
First Steps

I just noticed today that I cannot see with a glance my average hours of sleep for the week. I don’t feel like doing math to figure it out and the sleep score is doing nothing for me. If you want to keep the sleep score but also add back in average hours of sleep per week that will work. Bottom line is that if I can’t look at the end of the week and see what my average hours of sleep are then I have to find another product that  provides that type of feedback without having to jump through hoops. Not to sound like a jerk and say this needs to change or I’m leaving, but as irrelevant as that might seem to Fitbit it’s a very important aspect for me.

lyssfitz
Recovery Runner

@EdsonFitbit @DavideFitbit @YojanaFitbit  any update on the progress of this from Fitbit’s end? A lot of people are complaining about removal of avg sleep hours (and the whole UI change generally), not only here but on the App Store as well. 

I agree completely. I have a Flex 2, and I really appreciated being able to see my average daily sleep each week. That had been replaced with "sleep score", which is completely useless for the flex 2. Very frustrating, as it shouldn't be difficult for you to offer "average hours slept" option, too. 

Mmb55
Jogger

Sleep score totally sucks.

Having a medical condition that requires Sleep, a sleep score is useless.   Bring back the weekly average.  I definitely feel better when I reach my sleep goal.

Kim8888
Jogger

There is no way to turn off this new feature, which interferes with the ability to see weekly & average sleep hours. The "Sleep Score" is an arbitrary number that means nothing whatsoever! Are we supposed to get some sort of report card that we have no idea how is derived? This takes away one of the most important reasons I bought a Fitbit. 

Bring back the sleep HOURS and stop ruining a good product

PLEASE!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Came here to agree how useless this feature is - not thought out at all from the product guys at Fitbit HQ. I have enough problems in life without an app telling me I’m poor or fair at anything. I didn’t start using it for that. Besides, I can’t change the way I sleep for the most part so don’t want the recrimination you’re dishing out with this. 

I will take the Fitbit off at night if a way of turning this score off isn’t added quickly. 

Totally ridiculous. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Signing in to the forum for the first time to add my voice in to the mix. I agree that the sleep score is not a useful addition. I've never had an issue with any of the updates prior to this one but I had to say something when useful information is being overtaken with a made up unit of measurement. I'd really love to see this feature gotten rid of, out of any of the minor issues I've experienced with my fitbit this is the first one that has made me consider changin to a different brand of tracker. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I totally agree with you - the sleep score may be useful to some people but it seems to be less useful to most, and even devastating and depressing to people with sleep prblems. Fitbit are claiming that they are using one doctor's experience, but that is only one and there are so many more doctors that are really concerned about this sleep scores and they are warning us - and telling that it is better to listen to our bodies instead.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.