SmartTrack to display distance for step-based activities

When SmartTrack detects a step based activity allow it to display distance on the activity log instead of N/A.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

75 Comments
kimbedone
Base Runner

I would also like to keep track of my steps in real time during a workout.Plus I  would love a timer to push  when doing other activities that may or may not be workout related.Like for instance I have a fitbit One I use the timer to time myself when at work.I clean homes and this tells me the approximate time it takes me to do this which is helpful in determining prices for my clients.Guess I will have to wear both devices to get the actions I would like.

djmurray.
Jogger

Tracking distance with Fitbit Alat HR.

This is so basic. #1 reason i bought my Fitbit.

Does not track distance just shows N/A.

This is basic guys!

jenfitz42
First Steps

Please add a distance space for when we are recording our elliptical time. Right now it automatically records a distance according to the time we put in and that distance is far less than what I am actually doing. 

All it needs is a place to add the number of steps the elliptical machine shows or the distance.  You already have this feature for the bicycle, rowing machine, etc.......

kimberwolf71
First Steps

I would also really like to have actual distance shown for smart tracked activities.  While I appreciate my step count for the overall day, I would much rather know how far I actually RAN during a specific activity. 

Lucky14
First Steps

I have just been given a fit bit and I'm loving playing with all the fancy toys.

I was disappointed, however, when I was unable to see a most basic measure - how far (in distance) I covered in a run. You give me steps per run, so by very simple maths you can display distance too. Please fix this!

Rosajet
First Steps

So disappointed to have a walk, only to find that it won't tell you the distance you've walked. Please sort this out!

Dave1066
Keeping Pace

Yes, Rosajet.  This is very disappointing to me, too.  I'm new to Fitbit. I use a PC for the app and I have a friend that has the phone app.  We both use the Charge 2. The Activity List shows our walks automatically detected by SmartTrack.  Awesome, good thing.  Amazing how it is so close to the start and stop times.  But when we see our reports, it says Distance is NA.

With SmartTrack, there is no need for manual setups and starts and stops.  But how could it miss a feature that requires the programmer to multiply two numbers together: Stride Length times Number of Steps?  OK, multiply again to get miles or kilometers or whatever the user has for Units.  It is all known to the program.

For the Activity List, (that has a column for Distance), it is all post processing.  That is, all the data is there, including before, during, and after the walk.  That is how it is smart.  They have an algorithm to determine type of activity and when it starts and stops.  It's fairly nice.  Just multiply the darn two numbers together to get Distance.  Much simpler than the algorithm, I'm sure.

Currently, if people want Distance, they have to manually start it with their Fitbit device.  Maybe if people think that's more accurate, then use the manual method.  Manual is more feature rich, that is true.  For instance, you can pause data collection in case you temporarily stop the activity.  That's good.

Does Fitbit understand all of their customer base or just ignore the growing group of people who buy it to keep track of general activity and health status.

Who knows, maybe someone in my investment industry will bring it up at their Earnings report this coming Wednesday 2 August.

Eclawler
First Steps

I would like to see distance added to excerise mode on fit bit altra 

Amyk631
Recovery Runner

After using a Flex for more than 3 years, I purchased my Alta HR 5 days ago because I decided it's time to step up my workout knowledge.  I narrowed my decision down to 2 - the Alta HR and a Garmin.  I chose to stick with FitBit because it's familiar and I like to participate in challenges with friends. HOWEVER, I am now reconsidering as I need the ability to track distance and pace of my morning jogs 5 days a week.  The Alta is automatically logging the correct exercise - whether walking, running, or participating in a class ("sport"), but my distance says "N/A". I have distance for the day, so why not for each activity?? This is definitely a potential a deal-breaker. Otherwise, I love this Alta HR!

kimbedone
Base Runner

I have the Alta and the One and have decided to wear both at the same time.I clean homes for a living and have noticed that I will have about 3000 steps more on my Alta then my One when I'm done cleaning a house.So which is more accurate?And sine my One was set up first I lose out on the extra steps with the Alta.I have always felt like I was working harder then the One gave me credit for but the inaccuracy is a little overwhelming.Even on my evening walks the difference is there,not by 3000 steps but at least 300 steps.

Dave1066
Keeping Pace

kimbedone, are they on the same wrist?   I would imagine that if they are on different wrists, then maybe there would be a difference.  They seem to care which is your "handed-ness" and which wrist has the Fitbit.

kimbedone
Base Runner
No the ALTA is on my left wrist and the one is worn in my right side
pocket of my pants.
kimbedone
Base Runner

No my Alta is worn on the left wrist while I clip my One on my pant pocket.Which is on my right side.But the discrepancy while I clean homes is rather large.I always thought I was walking more  then the One gave me credit for,but to lose it during the sync is a little deflating in itself.

Amyk631
Recovery Runner

I just got done with an online chat asking if this might be a planned inclusion in a future update... unfortunately, the support person didn't even know that the Alta HR (SmartTrack) doesn't calculate distance then after a long pause said he checked & it's definitely not in the works 😞 

fithr66
First Steps

Please 

Logging actual distance walked (and HR) is the #1 reason I bought my Fitbit HR. I was shocked to find this basic metric is not recorded.

Is there any rationale for a USD 150 device like this not having a basic pedometer function??

wai_K
First Steps

Dear Fitbit,

I just got an ALTA HR knowing the wonder of what Fitbit can monitor our activities and linked with the AIA Vitality rewards programme.

To my awe that I thought only I have an isolated issue of not knowing how to get my run's distance tracked with the ALTA HR without carrying my hand phone. That was one of my intention of getting a Fitbit.

But it seems everyone was caught with the similar problem. Could not agree more with all the postings here. I saw that there is a GPS function available with ALTA HR before purchasing it. With the smart tech it build-in, it is sad to learn that it is not able to log-in the distance when we ran.

Please, could FitBit do something about it?

It is great that it provide lots of tracking and recognised the activities, but the distance is the prime basic requirement for most sport enthusiast here that do not wish to carry a phone during the runs.

Thank You.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

You can show my distance for the day, but not my distance for a run? I am so disappointed in my new Alta HR. I upgraded from the Charge HR because that was too big for my wrist... but now I am regretting it. 

bruinsgirl33
Runner

Yes please!!! Just started consistently doing run/walk intervals and would like to see distance for each to track my progress.

RakaFit
Jogger

The distance per activity should be simple to include as the distance is currently measured per day? - the measurement is also used as key input to medical service providers (medial aids) for active members with specific benefits, would be great if it could be added to the current device which will also benefit Fitbit market share and target users...

RakaFit
Jogger

Should be simple to add as the daily distance is currently being displayed...Many medical service providers use the distance / speed to provide benefits to medical aid members on the key measurement... would ne beneficial for Fitbit market share and user adoption.

Altamalta
First Steps

Can't believe this doesnt happen. A fitness tracker that doesn't track distance of running. Basic expectation surely! Oh well I guess I wasted my money and will have to get something else instead.

Kroko
Jogger

Just upgraded to a Charge 2. Gone for a walk, letting the Smart track record my walk (yay no need to press a button anymore!) to find out back home that no distance nor pace is showing in the activity list. What?!?! What a non sense. Very disappointed. Still need to press a button or manually record the activity... Please! Add this basic information to activities tracked by Smart track!... can't believe it doesn't!!!

And it would be nice if we can see graph of distance and pace in the Walk and Run activities... need to do an activity record to show this. This info is important for many of us. Not just calories... thanks!

Thagraceface
First Steps

Extremely, extremely, extremely disappointed that I can no longer see my distance traveled durring my hikes. It is literally the whole entire reason I have a Fitbit to begin with. How on Earth is this a feature we'd want taken away from us? I shouldn't have to work harder to access my stats after so called "updates".

Fitbit, please fix this. I'll be going to Garmin in the mean time. 

sweettuna
First Steps

I’m so disappointed with no display of the distance I made for running, walking and what so ever

I’m looking for other brands that can completely give me my exercise info

Never thought Alta HR would let me down like this

Kind of wasting money for undone business

Mega disappointment 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Great idea @Julia_G, it would really encourage you to keep adding your suggestion on the board, so that we can streamline responses and discussion. I know this is a popular request, so watch this space for updates. Thanks for your patience.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.