SmartTrack to display distance for step-based activities

When SmartTrack detects a step based activity allow it to display distance on the activity log instead of N/A.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

75 Comments
Agnes_L
First Steps

I got Alta HR for Christmas and I was very happy as it looks sooo much better than my old Charge, and fits so much better on my tiny wrist. However after few days of using it I am very disapointed that it doesn't  show distance run. I run a few times a week and knowing what distance I've run is important to me. Having to use mobile app to do this defeats the purpose completely as I can use any app on my phone that does that and my husband wouldn't have to spend all that money on a new fitbit.

Alta HR would be the perfect device if it had ALL the features tha Charge has, especially display distnance.

Blah_59
Stepping Up

Please add in the ability to see distance for SmartTrack identified walks, jogs, runs, etc.  It's a super simple programmatic addition and common sense says it should already be done.

Karen78
Recovery Runner

Please add the distance measurement when the tracker is in smarttrack mode. 

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

Karen78
Recovery Runner

I agree that distance should be added to the smarttrack feature.

Mogsy
Recovery Runner

Would very much like to see automatically detected step-based activities expressed as distance as well as step total. This is a common feature of many other trackers. 

tesb
Recovery Runner

I find it hilarious that Fitbit seem to actually brag about the absence of Distance and Pace data in SmartTrack,.as if the omission is yet another feature. It is not. It is, quite simply, a ludicrous omission when both features could be added with a few lines of code in a firmware update.

Karen78
Recovery Runner

What does the moderator's edit: Added Labels mean?

Wendyl10
Stepping Up

Please add in distance for walks, runs - It makes no sense to omit distance tracking from SmartTrack. This should be standard part of SmartTrack!  Very disappointed that it does not track the distance.

Sarvoga
First Steps

Dear Fitbit,

I’m in the market for an activity tracker and I’ve heard great things about your platform. I’d like a  relatively simple tracker that can handle swimming and gauge distance running. The slim design of the Flex 2, Alta, and Charge 2 are great. The Ionic is just too much watch for me. The Flex 2 would win me over today if it could track running distance. A waterproof, swim worthy running distance tracker would be the dream! 

Thank you

Lismellow
First Steps

Dear Fitbit

i know you make more money selling high end products but why do you sell cheap products like the flex 2 that can track swimming distance and walking distance but doesn’t show how much you ran? Do you think your customers will pay another 200$ just to get that distance tracked? 

I was interested in the VERSA but I highly doubt it will add any fitness features compared to The flex2 such as adding the running distance. I am more and more I Inclidned to pay Apple for their watch anyways. Thank you for pushing me into that direction!!!

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

Jon1234567
First Steps

This has already been suggested in "SmartTrack to display distance for step-based activities" & already been set to "Status: Not currently planned"

It is clearly wanted & certainly the brochures promise it .....

I presume Fitbit does not do this because:

1/ Not accurate enough....My experience running the same route over the years with devices from other manufacturers is that my step counts are within 1% when running the same route, thats more than accurate enough for me.

2/ Fitbit is attempting to force us to buy the GPS equipped watches .....not going to happen - GPS uses too much battery ! I will rather change brands.

3/ smarttrack 'may' log too much distance with erroneously long sessions - Solution allow the user to reduce (but not increase) the start/end times 

PS no label for Alta

SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Jon1234567, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us,this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned.

martha96
First Steps

I like to go for bike rides which are smart tracked by my Fitbit. I also sometimes use the 'Bike' option on the watch to make sure it is tracking. However until now I haven't connected it to my phone GPS because this drains battery. I know what distance I did because I can check the route on the map, but I cannot retrospectively edit the auto logged exercise to add distance!

This would be really useful not only for personal records but also because for example the cardio fitness score recommends including distance of workouts. 

If I try to manually log the workout with distance included, it gives me a calorie estimate that is way lower than reality. E.g. I did a 12km cycle in 55 mins and burned 335 calories, tried to log it manually to add the distance and it estimated that I had burned 134 calories which makes no sense. Therefore it would make more sense if I could just add distance to the auto logged workouts.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @martha96, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see add distance for SmartTrack activities. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

MelvinL
Recovery Runner
Currently, distance travelled only shows up for walks/runs/etc, where GPS can be used. For other activities where there is no GPS tracking, such as tennis, archery, football, basketball, there is no distance calculated for us. Suggest to calculate and show distance based on steps taken for all activities, where GPS might not be relevant.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @MelvinL, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to allow SmartTrack to display distance for step-based activities. This feature suggestion already exists, so I've moved it into a similar request. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

paulm1114
First Steps
Currently the SmartTrack shows "min", "avg bpm", "cals" and "zone min" it would be valuable if this also showed Distance.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @paulm1114, thanks for explaining why you would like to see distance when using SmartTrack feature. This feature suggestion already exists, so I've moved it into a similar request. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

TheSlaw
Jogger
Yesterday, the app detected exercise and logged my health stuff. However, it didn't log my distance, so it couldn't tell me my pace.
Today, when I manually started an exercise, it logged the pace.
This is inconsistent.
Make autodetecting exercise log the same data as when I manually start the exercise.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @TheSlaw, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding distance details to exercises tracked by SmartTrack. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

Guest21
First Steps
It would be really nice to have the Fitbit automatically track not only time but the distance on our exercises such as walking or biking outdoors. Please add that in!
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Guest21, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding distance tracking when using SmartTrack for walking and biking activities. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here.  Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

MrJS
Stepping Up
When an automatic workout/exercise is done, eg. Walking after 15 minutes, I'm finding that distance is not being attached to it, even though it is being logged in the background
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @MrJS, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding distance to automatic workouts. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support. 

While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.