Support Google Workspace accounts to log in to Fitbit account

Right now people like myself that use a Google Workspace (so not something [at] gmail.com) account as their main account, are locked out of Fitbit "login with Google" features - and our accounts can't be migrated.

Moderator edit: Clarified subject and updated label
166 Comments
wallawallawalla
First Steps

Love how if you pay for things at Google they give you fewer features.

Hey Google, people stay in Apple's walled garden because the Apple ecosystem works well together, not because they go out of their way to break things arbitrarily. I think you may have gotten confused. It's okay though, you can just go ahead correct your mistake (and maybe fire those responsible because they are nincompoops)

evenhanded
Jogger

I've been a paid Workspace user for as long as it existed and have been a Fitbit user for more than 10 years. Now Google decides to force me to use a different Google account in order to keep using my Fitbit. That is outrageous behavior from Google. Since my 2 year old Fitbit Sense has suddenly died, it looks like it's time to find a smart watch vendor with some commitment to happy customers.

jhoff909
Recovery Runner
I have been prompted to move my login from a fitbit account to a google one. I use a google workspace for my family's e-mail and we all have google workspace accounts there and all use fitbits and none of us can move our fitbit logins to our workspace accounts.
Kjmoore
First Steps

This new sleep display is awful and has me considering a Garmin! 

jhoff909
Recovery Runner

Lol although not sure I like it either, totally unrelated to the post

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @jhoff909, thanks for taking the time to share this product feedback about supporting Google workspace accounts for log in with us. I noticed this product feedback was already requested on this board, so I’ve moved your post here. Please support this product feedback by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

jhoff909
Recovery Runner

@LizzyFitbit Thanks for taking the time to respond but how about giving a timeframe when this will be implemented? This is clearly a feature that lots of people want.

MattJADaniels
First Steps

Adding another person / family to this list of frustrated Google Workspace / Fitbit users.

As previously noted in many of the comments, it is frustrating to see Google not work through this for their paying customers. There is, however a security issue to sort through with this development by Google in that health data would essentially be owned by the Workspace account owners - which is fine for families using it, but not (really) ok for businesses - this will be the biggest hurdle for the Workspace team (not suggesting it shouldn't be worked through).

For those having difficulties logging in to the forums, you can use your Fitbit credentials (IE: username and password combination) to vote for this - just not login with Google 🙄

jhoff909
Recovery Runner

Eh, there are several ways they could deal with this -
let people opt in to sharing their fitbit data with the workspace admins
create two types of workspace accounts - family and business.  there would be details (same price?  different?  etc)
add some sort of extra layer of protection around sensitive data in workspace accounts that would prevent admins from accessing it

Chkaloon
Recovery Runner

Also just found out Google is getting rid of the FitBit API in 2025. No more integration with entities like Home Assistant.

Google is getting more and more customer-hostile. Time to switch!!

https://github.com/YorkshireIoT/ha-google-fit/blob/v4.0.1/README.md

mark_mcs2
First Steps

I intended to become a new user. I bought a Charge 6 only to hit this same problem. Nowhere on any of the packaging or advertising material does it say anything about the lack of support for Workspace accounts. I found this product feedback post but the website also won't let you log in with a Workspace account, so the new users that affected can't vote on this issue. That's an extremely poor look. It annoyed me enough to resurrected a 20 year old abandoned GMail account just to post this comment. And, no, I won't be using this account with the Fitbit app: everything is tied to my Workspace account and has been for well over a decade.

I returned the fitbit device as it was sold under false pretenses

Erziram
First Steps
That a bad look indeed.. I think the whole Fitbit line will be cannabilized
by 1-3 Google products anyways as they are integrating Fitbit into new
offerings, so would definitely recommend going Garmin instead. Chances are,
you will be screwed over again by Google if you buy into them, I've now
seem this happen with multiple products. I used to be a big fan of the
ecosystem, but I am replacing them with more privacy-friendly alternatives
across the board.
MichellePhitbit
First Steps

I too would like to see support for using google workspace accounts with my fitbit. I shouldnt need to create a new email address just for my fitbit use

DeanAnderson
First Steps

I also find this idiotic. I have everything tied to my workspace account and have for years. I will not be creating another account to use FitBit so when support for the current FitBit account gets dropped, I'll get myself a Galaxy watch or something like that. Since that happens next year, it will be time to replace it anyway. 

MMLMMM
First Steps

282 Votes and 164 Comments!!!  Fitbit are you listening?  Do you care?

wallawallawalla
First Steps
spoiler alert: It's Google. Of course they don't care.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.