Sync Fitbits to Electronic Medical Charts

As a nurse I have worked in healthcare for over ten years advocating for integration of mobile apps & wearables with healthcare electronic records.

I'm 100% certain that your company could help patient's who come into the hospital and in some cases save their very lives.

And it’s doable by integrating the Fitbit data with patient's electronic medical records. When this happens, this will be one of the most important technological advancements we've seen in our lifetime.   

It can be done. 

Fitbit- you can either lead this change that saves lives or you can sit back and be the follower until a more bold and better wearables company gets the gall to do it.

Ok, let me explain what I mean by Fitbit creating something that could change and save peoples lives.  So, know how Fitbit has the current technology to recognize when you're "restless" vs. asleep and can track what times during the night?

Fitbit is therefore capable of further developing this feature to recognize the moment of onset someone suffers a stroke or heart attack. 

Lets say someone has their fitbit on and they're home alone do laundry.  They suddenly feel that intense pain in their head and it’s a strok instantly causing them to fall to the ground. They’re alone laying on the ground for an unknown amount of time until their son stops by and find them on the ground and calls 911.  And I’ve been the nurse standing their at the doors of the E.R when that person comes in on the gurney.

When I see these patients I can almost hear the clock immediately start ticking because we have very little time to act to save them. There’s a medication that’s been extremely effective to save stroke patient’s lives or prevent them from suffering life long conditions that debilitate them.  However, the downside to this medication (named TPA) is that there’s a very narrow window that it can be given, too much time passes and it can do more harm than help or not work.  But when it’s given in that “window”, it saves people’s lives.  Truly.

So with fitbit, the moment that patient rolls in on the gurney I could sync their device to my electronic medical chart.  I'd immediately have the data to track when and how long ago they fell to the ground.  I would be able to know down to the minute how much time we had left to give TPA before it was too late.  This vital information is what could SAVE THOUSANDS OF LIVES! DON’T YOU UNDERSTAND??

Therefore Fitbit employees and all others reading this, let me remind you that we are not immune to this example I give.  Some of you will suffer heart attacks or maybe a close friend or parent a stroke…it can happen in an instant.  And if it does, will you remember reading this and think "if only”?  "If only I’d clicked to vote yes.”  "If only I’d taken the time to write a response in support of this.”  If only. Maybe they could have lived.  But the good news is it’s not too late. WE CAN DO THIS.  NOW.

So common!  Start “taking those steps!” 

“BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE IN THE WORLD”

I’ll be standing with you in this  and I look forward to the day when I have more stroke patients that leave the hospital within a few days than those who never leave.  

Thank you for taking the time to read this.  Spread the word.  

-Kate RN

Moderator edit: modified labels & Clarified subject

Kate N, BSN, RN
7 Comments
UgoKTjo
Stepping Up
**apologies for the spelling error in the title! I wish I could edit it to correct the spelling...does anyone know how to edit titles?
PKDaba
Recovery Runner

@UgoKTjo, Apple's software frameworks (HealthKit, ResearchKit, CareKit) are already enabled to allow device and app developers to fullfil your vision. Here's another example of how CareKit is being used in a hospital setting now: Click here for article.

Many hospitals, insurance companies, medical researchers have already started work on this along side Apple (it's happening!). Fitbit currently does not integrate with HealthKit. It does not have the same vision you and Apple have towards health and support in the medical arena.

UgoKTjo
Stepping Up
It's exciting prospects ahead definitely and encouraging the companies that are tuning in to this like you mentioned. Thanks for the article on Carekit. The more we support this kind of products and initiatives the closer we get. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. -Kate
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@UgoKTjo this is an existing feature, but it is not up to Fitbit to push it to the health care or hospitals. Fitbit has provided all the tools that your healthcare provider needs to retrieve your Fitbit data directly, many health insurance companies all ready do this, and a few Doctor offices also.. I don't know about any hospitals but they also can have access to your data through the API. 

PKDaba
Recovery Runner

You’re welcome @UgoKTjo. On an added note, and as you probably already know as a RN, wellness is more than just tracking steps and heart rate. Other vitals like blood pressure, blood glucose levels, breathing volume and rate, nutrition, etc. all play a role in monitoring and predicting wellness of a patient, especially the high risk ones. Apple’s software frameworks (HealthKit, CareKit, ResearchKit) already enables fitness and medical devices to track and record such data in one central and private location: your iPhone. You own the data and you ultimately decide who to share it with (i.e. your doctor, your insurance company, the hospital).

There are already devices on the market like iHealth’s blood pressure monitors, pulse oximeters, and glucometers that integrate with HealthKit. With multiple health monitoring devices that do integrate with HealthKit, they will help iOS users get a fuller picture of their health and help their doctors with future diagnosis.

Fitbit has been around since 2007. In all these years, its devices still only track three parameters: step count, stair count, and heart rate (not very accurately at it either). It’s so called API only allows minimal (i.e. incomplete) data to flow only one way. For that reason, no other devices are able to ‘plug in’ to Fitbit’s database. Its whole ecosystem was simply not designed towards ‘health and wellness’ monitoring.

Apple definitely has the lead here. Since announcing the availability of its Health Software Frameworks (HealthKit, ResearchKit, and CareKit), many health care organizations (i.e. health insurance companies, hospitals, doctors, universities, clinics, etc.) sought out Apple to partner with it. One just doesn’t hear that happening with Fitbit.

Health and wellness monitoring is all happening now with Apple. With Fitbit, it’s impossible to know when this will become a thing. For the last 2+ years, Fitbit has refused to integrate with HealthKit against the wishes of its iOS users. It’s clear that health and wellness are not Fitbit’s priority.

More interesting links for you:

http://www.healthcareitleaders.com/blog/how-hospitals-are-using-apples-healthkit-and-researchkit/

http://hitconsultant.net/2015/02/05/14-top-hospitals-are-piloting-apples-healthkit-platform/

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/27/8502929/apple-healthkit-cedars-sinai-hospital

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@PKDaba the first fitbits to track Heartrate are the Charge HR and Surge, these where introduced 2 years ago, not 9.

FYI there have already been cases where the doctor opened up the patients Fitbit App reviewed the data to save having to do test to determine the medication. Also some insurance companies give discounts when a fitness tracker such as Fitbit's is connected to them. 

If a hospital or health organization wants to access Fitbit's API , this would be the same as them accessing Apples API, nothing is stopping them. 

Read the three articles that you linked to again all three point to the fact that the hospitals did the connection - Apple had nothing to do with it. As you say "Apple will not connect to any third party" but let's them do the connecting, it is the same for Fitbit.and I know you understand this is reason the two don't link to each other. 

Your argument has just fallen, yes there are hotspot ls and health studies all ready linking to patients Fitbit Account. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.