Track Macros in App (daily carbs/protein/fat intake)

The browser log shows a breakdown of your macros for the day, and this is extremely useful, but it is absent in the app. For many people, including myself, it's not only important to track your calorie intake for the day, but also your macronutrient intake (carbohydrates, protein, and fat). When I'm considering my next meal or planning my food for the day, I want to know how much of each macronutrient I have eaten so far, so I don't go overboard. As a busy individual, most of my food logging is done through the app. However, I can not track my macronutrients through the app, which makes it hard for me to regulate my intake.

Here is an example of the "daily totals" macro tracker on the Fitbit browser log:

macros.png

Extremely helpful. Not only does it show how many grams of each macro I've consumed for the day, but it also shows the percentage of my daily consumption for each macro. The aforementioned is a fabulous feature because I split my daily macro targets into percentages (ie; 30% carbs, 35% fat, 35% protein). This allows to see me where I'm at so far, or even log everything I INTEND to eat and see where that would leave me. Then, I can make adjustments. Really a great feature.

But, again, it's not available on the app. And I think it's really important that this be added, for several reasons:

• A lot of people log most of their food through the day via app because of time restrictions/lack of access to a computer.
  • Real time macronutrient tracking helps everyone to meet their goals and adjust planned meals based on where their macronutrients currently stand.
  • Macronutrient tracking is just as important as calorie tracking. We need a balance of macronutrients to be happy and healthy.
  • Easily accessible (app) macronutrient tracking will help people to see patterns in their diet which are causing them to fall short of what they need, therefore helping them improve their diet.
  • Diet and what you eat is just as important as how many calories you consume. Being able to see the macronutrient numbers alongside the calorie numbers will help people become more aware of their diet.

Please give us macronutrient tracking in the app! It's such a wonderful feature of the browser log, and should definitely be prioritized for including it in the app log. Fitbit is an amazing product and can really help people turn their lifestyles around for the better, and adding the macronutrient tracker to the app will only further help those who need direction in the area of diet.

Moderator Edit: updated subject for clarity & Labels

873 Comments
packguy1
First Steps
I tried again today and nothing has changed in the app. I've only had my Fitbit for 3 weeks and the macro % is what has been on the app during that time. Really need Fitbit to implement macro gram amounts not just %.

Sent from my iPhone
averyce
First Steps

I just love fitbit so much and streamlining things to one app! If we were able to see macronutrient tracking with grams it would be perfection! I love being able to see my macronutrients (in grams) measured by what i've consumed, what my goal is, and then what is left/needed for the day like this: http://imgur.com/a/S6DqU

Fozzy71
Runner

@averyce no fiber for the day?  have fun in the bathroom tomorrow lol.

I gave up waiting for this and went back to tracking food in mfp.  forgot how much better the mfp food db was as well as the method of adding food/meals in the site and app both.  even if fitbit gets this I will probably stick with mfp until the next time it won't sync for a day or two and I am forced to track food in fitbit again

hhiggins8
Stepping Up

I find myself preferring to track food in fitbit as opposed to several other sites (myfitnesspal, spark people, fitday) because it can be done so quickly in a browser window.  The other sites vary in degrees of frustrating slowness.  However, I miss the charts available.  I understand that the Premium version of fitbit might get me the macronutrient pie chart though folks say it's only a weekly summary?  However, I also want to see how my iron intake is, etc.  Fit Day is free and less slow than some of the others and has this feature showing real time results of both macro nutrients and other nutritional measurements.  Please take a look and see if fitbit could add in this functionality.  Of course, I'd prefer it not be only for Premium accounts, but if I'm going to upgrade to Premium, then I'd hope it would have at least this level of features to rival a free site.  fitday.com 

Croz
First Steps

Yes, I would love this.  I would like to monitor my daily cholesterol and other nutritional data that app is collecting.

Pegster229
Jogger

My doctor just told me to track my sodium so I looked in the Fitbit app since I use it constantly. I was so disappointed to learn that it isn't an option. I totally agree with the other posts, the same nutritional info from the browser should be available on the app, even if you have to limit the number of choices you can display - let us choose what appears so we can at least see our priorities from the app. Adding fiber to the tracking would also be very helpful as most Americans are lacking in that area and it is critical to our health. I use the Fitbit app because I can track so many things in one place, I don't want to go back to using multiple apps... please consider these requests if you want to stay relevant and retain customer satisfaction & loyalty.

djhemp
Jogger

Net carbs. Net Carbs.  Net CARBS. NET CARBS!  Please! 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

In total agreement - we need to have the same daily totals that are on the web dashboard available on the mobile app.  Thank you!

tressalynne
Recovery Runner

I want to be able to export daily totals of calories in vs. calories out so I can see if I've been over or under for a specific period of time and adjust my activities and eating accordingly. I don't understand how this is not available in basic nor in premium! 

iamsumware
First Steps

Protein goals and tracking on app

droehrig
First Steps

i like being able to track my macros. but i would also really like to see the grams of each macro I've consumed to make sure im getting enough.

SueHank
Recovery Runner

yes yes yes please!!! on the app!!!

JRMA1985
Jogger

Is anyone from FitBit looking at this thread anymore? If not I am going to create this as a new idea. I think everyone who sees this just create it as a new idea so FitBit listen to us! Months on I feel we are being ignored. 

eleonidovichb
First Steps

The status of this request is listed as "implemented," when it obviously is not. It appears Fitbit staff misunderstood the issue being discussed here, as the message from the moderator shows. We are NOT seeing the absolute values for macros in the app (actual number of grams of each). We are only seeing their percentages. Does anyone know how to request that they look at this again?  

djhemp
Jogger

Agree with eleonidovichb.  The macro percentages are a start, but anybody following strict diets such as a ketogenic one needs to know exact grams per each macro to hit their goals per day as they are very different for each individual.  Being able to set goals would be great option, but NET CARBS (carbs - fiber/sugar alcohols) is a key factor that needs to be an option. 

So I suggest when you click on the percentage macros in the app it cycles through to the grams per macro or opens another window with more details.  Also, in the settings have an option to click 'display net carbs' instead of all carbs. 

JRMA1985
Jogger

Hey all, I think this post is dead as they marked the idea as implemented. I have now created this idea again on the following post:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Macronutrient-breakdown-in-grams-NOT-percentage-...

Please all head on over to it and request it and comment so that FitBit can see how desired this is in the community. Thanks 

SueHank
Recovery Runner

the moderator said on 7/10/17 said this has been implemented.  NOT.  The Fitbit APP (version 2.39) does NOT show the breakdown in grams nor does it have an option to view the information in actual numbers.  it only shows percentages and a chart with no values at all. 

My nutritionist wants to be able to see this information, and I learn what a healthy diet is for me in macro balance, this app is not helpful.  If someone were to tell me I could see this data in the paid subscription I would be severely disappointed.   most trackers show this, free.  just saying. 

I just wish FITBIT would list and show this information in grams (not percents) please!!!!!  #desparatelytryingtorelearnhowtoeat

Netcarbs
Jogger

And, Fitbit still does not give us NET CARBS. I've been asking for this for more than a year. 

Netcarbs
Jogger

Net Carbs represent the total carbohydrate content of the food minus the fiber content and sugar alcohols (if in the product).  That's what we need.

tonypalmer
Keeping Pace

Hi,

Fitbit missed the mark here and the feature has not been implemented as requested by the original poster. Here's a screenshot from the web dashboard like the one included in the original post: FitbitWebDash Macro-Daily total.JPG

Note that the dashboard displays macros in grams and percentages. While the percentages are a useful addition to the app, they are not a complete resolution of what was requested.

Tony.

SueHank
Recovery Runner

It would be nice if we could set goals for macros too, but now I'm just being greedy!!  lol  follow and like the new post on this please!!!

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Macronutrient-breakdown-in-grams-NOT-percentage-...

ErinTee
First Steps

As a person surviving a major heart attack I am most interested in being able to track my sodium. As a brand new Fitbit user, I have carefully entered all the nutrition info for the foods I eat but then I can't see my sodium totals. 

Fitprof
First Steps

Yes we NEED protein and carb breakdowns on our he app asap!!!!

packguy1
First Steps
I’ve given up on FitBit giving us the macro breakdown of our food
consumption. If you dig into their platform you will see they are an open
base. Meaning they encourage app developers to connect and use their
device. I explored their “partner apps” and found MyNetDiary. This app
gives what we are asking for with being able to track everything you can
think of: cabs, fat, protein, fiber, sodium, caffeine, net carbs, calcium,
iron, and many other micro nutrients people may care about. The problem is
this app only gives limited usage of the app unless you subscribe and pay
$8.99/mo or $60 per year. FitBit doesn’t want to upset their partners by
putting this on their app for free… They want us to pay their partner app…

FitBit’s choice I guess. But when my Charge2 bites the dust I will be
exploring other options for my fitness device to see if there is a better
value.
Toyah
First Steps
I has no idea. Thank you for highlighting this as now I will be looking to
do the same, should my fitbit expire.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.