Track Macros in App (daily carbs/protein/fat intake)

The browser log shows a breakdown of your macros for the day, and this is extremely useful, but it is absent in the app. For many people, including myself, it's not only important to track your calorie intake for the day, but also your macronutrient intake (carbohydrates, protein, and fat). When I'm considering my next meal or planning my food for the day, I want to know how much of each macronutrient I have eaten so far, so I don't go overboard. As a busy individual, most of my food logging is done through the app. However, I can not track my macronutrients through the app, which makes it hard for me to regulate my intake.

Here is an example of the "daily totals" macro tracker on the Fitbit browser log:

macros.png

Extremely helpful. Not only does it show how many grams of each macro I've consumed for the day, but it also shows the percentage of my daily consumption for each macro. The aforementioned is a fabulous feature because I split my daily macro targets into percentages (ie; 30% carbs, 35% fat, 35% protein). This allows to see me where I'm at so far, or even log everything I INTEND to eat and see where that would leave me. Then, I can make adjustments. Really a great feature.

But, again, it's not available on the app. And I think it's really important that this be added, for several reasons:

• A lot of people log most of their food through the day via app because of time restrictions/lack of access to a computer.
  • Real time macronutrient tracking helps everyone to meet their goals and adjust planned meals based on where their macronutrients currently stand.
  • Macronutrient tracking is just as important as calorie tracking. We need a balance of macronutrients to be happy and healthy.
  • Easily accessible (app) macronutrient tracking will help people to see patterns in their diet which are causing them to fall short of what they need, therefore helping them improve their diet.
  • Diet and what you eat is just as important as how many calories you consume. Being able to see the macronutrient numbers alongside the calorie numbers will help people become more aware of their diet.

Please give us macronutrient tracking in the app! It's such a wonderful feature of the browser log, and should definitely be prioritized for including it in the app log. Fitbit is an amazing product and can really help people turn their lifestyles around for the better, and adding the macronutrient tracker to the app will only further help those who need direction in the area of diet.

Moderator Edit: updated subject for clarity & Labels

873 Comments
SueHank
Recovery Runner
ddrey33445
First Steps

It would be great if not only can we see the percentage of carbs, protein, and fat but also there was an area to see exactly how many grams of sugar, carbs, sodium, etc that we've consumed all day. 

kocytean_za
Recovery Runner

I would love this feature as well!

I'm starting a bodybuilding hobby, and learning about macronutrient requirements and ratios. The ratio as displayed in the nutrition tracker is very helpful. However, I also need to be able to see how much protein I'm consuming at a glance per day so that I can adjust. At present, to do this I need to go through a protracted process of checking the amounts I've eaten through the day, and divide this by the amount of g(protein)/100g... very time consuming. I've taken to doing this manually on an excel spreadsheet.

jwilder
Recovery Runner

Having Daily food totals on the app would be great. We don't always want to log into our account. It would also be nice to adjust the Macros to meet our specific dietary needs. 

BAC104
Jogger

Like others, I would like for the app to display protein, carbs and fat. It would assist me in tracking my food intake.

SueHank
Recovery Runner

Pls add this to the open request, as this one says implemented

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Macronutrient-breakdown-in-grams-NOT-percentage-...

Sincerely,

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed and formatting

theultrahvybeat
Base Runner

I still don't know why we dont have this feature. I hate having to juggle between two apps to track macos inside my fitness pal. The fitbit app is a wonderful and powerful app and I'd love to see this much needed feature.

pukfan
Jogger

I’d like to see a bar chart of carbs (or any other specific micro nutrient) versus meal on the app dashboard, along with a summation of carbs for the day.  That way I know at a glance how many carbs (or other mn) each meal is costing me and the total for the day.  As a pre-diebetic, I was told to watch my carbs, but later in the day in particular.  Currently, I have to tap on each food item to get the carbs, add them up by hand, etc.  Or go to the web site - need it on the app. With a bar chart I can simply enter in planned or consumed food and make food adjustments on the fly.  

BAC104
Jogger

I want to support that we need to be able to see all the nutritional information in the app.  I, for example, need to monitor protein as well as calories. Some need to see carbs, or like a friend of mine sodium. If the actual numbers can appear on the web site, they should be able to appear on the app. It would be so convenient to just be able to open the app and see all my health information.

Miyriam
Jogger

Hi, it would be nice to see the grams of each macro under every food, all on just one screen. I've seen it in other apps and it is the best way to know what 'm doing wrong or rigth. Clicking on each one of them is not practic a l. More information on micros —in general— would be welcome too. Many thanks!

EmilyVG
Jogger

Hi, I myself have to keep track of how much fibre intake I have in a day. I would love a feature to be able to set goals for myself and keep track of them. Depending on what is the individual preference of the user, different nutritional goals could be set. e.g. vitamin intake, sugar intake, etc. 

Thank you!

texasdaveinla
Jogger

Ok cool. I’ll copy and paste there too. My dream is the body tracking in the movies that pops up on the mirror: I had too much sodium or too little vit C. I wish the database could also track the micro-nutrients in the food we input. I’m hiv+ and this little thing has changed my life. Adding years to the clock I hope 😀

felipebalbi
First Steps

Right, I'd like to be able to tell the app that I want to eat e.g. 2400 calories per day (already available) and the composition of those calories should be e.g. 20% from fat, 35% from carbs and 45% from protein.

That way, it'd be a lot easier to plan what to eat on the next meal 🙂

MarlaKay3451
Recovery Runner

Yes, yes on the sugar grams etc!!!  I am diabetic and would love to see the sugar grams included in the food intake..  Thanks!!!

Lammi
Jogger

It would be nice to see your nutritional facts for the full day combined not just for the one item

keane
Jogger

+1. Even a simple counter to keep track of whatever metric we want to keep track of would help. 

djames09
First Steps

I'd love this 

Ricepaddi
First Steps

Hello

i see that I can track my daily food intake including calories and percentage of carbs, protein and fat - I would suggest that you add a goal system similar to what you have for steps - where I am able to input my goals for percentage carbs, protein and fats. This would be useful for people following certain diets such as the Keto diet. That way I wouldn’t have to use another app

tllally
First Steps

I think its clear that 300 calories in vegetables isn't the same as 300 calories from macaroni and cheese. We already have a pie chart for macronutrients, so one for the different food groups (fruits, vegetables, grains, dairy, etc.), could help people just as much.

If the current food database(s) doesn't contain descriptions for these food groups, I think people would be willing to crowd-create descriptions.

loldham
First Steps

Please, please add macros goals!

schultzt
First Steps

Yes!!! Please add the ability to track macros by grams after setting personal macro goals!

In the meantime, I've determined my percentages by adding together my total grams and dividing each macro goal by the total. For now, I can follow the percentages but this added feature would be great!

Peanut76
First Steps

Looks like this has been a request for a couple years without any resolution. Will we ever be able to customize macros? I’m about ready to ditch the Fitbit and just use MyFitnessPal so I don’t have to use two apps. 

theultrahvybeat
Base Runner

Unfortunately, a response from Fitbit to this feature request was made in another thread. They wish to "track community demand over time" by allowing us to continue voting for the feature while locking the thread thus killing further discussion of the topic in that thread:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/macros-in-grams-instead-of-only-percentages-in-t...

It looks like the best we can do is to just keep voting on any thread that is in regard to this desired feature, since Fitbit's approach appears to be judge demand by raw vote count.

NatashaSays
First Steps

It would be great to food 'Daily Totals; (total carbs, protein, fat, etc.) in the Android App. I can see via Fitbit.com Food Log, but not on the app. 

Can this feature be added? I'd LOVE it! 

Barbara1700
Jogger

Add total fiber (and perhaps net carbs) to food diary. 

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.