Track Macros in App (daily carbs/protein/fat intake)

The browser log shows a breakdown of your macros for the day, and this is extremely useful, but it is absent in the app. For many people, including myself, it's not only important to track your calorie intake for the day, but also your macronutrient intake (carbohydrates, protein, and fat). When I'm considering my next meal or planning my food for the day, I want to know how much of each macronutrient I have eaten so far, so I don't go overboard. As a busy individual, most of my food logging is done through the app. However, I can not track my macronutrients through the app, which makes it hard for me to regulate my intake.

Here is an example of the "daily totals" macro tracker on the Fitbit browser log:

macros.png

Extremely helpful. Not only does it show how many grams of each macro I've consumed for the day, but it also shows the percentage of my daily consumption for each macro. The aforementioned is a fabulous feature because I split my daily macro targets into percentages (ie; 30% carbs, 35% fat, 35% protein). This allows to see me where I'm at so far, or even log everything I INTEND to eat and see where that would leave me. Then, I can make adjustments. Really a great feature.

But, again, it's not available on the app. And I think it's really important that this be added, for several reasons:

• A lot of people log most of their food through the day via app because of time restrictions/lack of access to a computer.
  • Real time macronutrient tracking helps everyone to meet their goals and adjust planned meals based on where their macronutrients currently stand.
  • Macronutrient tracking is just as important as calorie tracking. We need a balance of macronutrients to be happy and healthy.
  • Easily accessible (app) macronutrient tracking will help people to see patterns in their diet which are causing them to fall short of what they need, therefore helping them improve their diet.
  • Diet and what you eat is just as important as how many calories you consume. Being able to see the macronutrient numbers alongside the calorie numbers will help people become more aware of their diet.

Please give us macronutrient tracking in the app! It's such a wonderful feature of the browser log, and should definitely be prioritized for including it in the app log. Fitbit is an amazing product and can really help people turn their lifestyles around for the better, and adding the macronutrient tracker to the app will only further help those who need direction in the area of diet.

Moderator Edit: updated subject for clarity & Labels

873 Comments
crazycarrie06
Jogger

I want to see how I am doing on getting my vitamins as well - I'd love to see a full daily nutrition summary with analysis (too much sodium/too little Iron etc). 

newbebe
First Steps

Yes, please!   A display of net carbs would be very helpful!

njburley
Jogger

Yes! PLEASE!! You are already set up to show the macronutrient breakdown on the web/desktop dashboard. Please, please, please add it to the mobile app! Otherwise, when I'm out and about (which is most of the time) I have no way to access this information. 

You are soclose to being The Perfect Device for me. Adding the macronutrient breakdown to the mobile app would clinch it. Thank-you!

njburley
Jogger

Pleeeeeease add macro-tracking to the mobile app!! I can't say it any better than the original poster on this thread. She's 1,000% correct - and it's a feature that the MyFitnessPal app has readily available for mobile. It is the *one* feature that keeps me tied to MFP - and I'd really love to cut the cord and let Fitbit handle everything and stop having to synch things all the time and use 2 apps.

Please, please, please??

Thank-you so much for considering this!

yakarbed
First Steps
PLEASE add the ability to view macronutients within the app.
Shelz
First Steps
The lack of tracking macronutrients on-the-go seemingly defeats the whole purpose of having the fitbit. Most people invested in the product to become more health conscious, lose weight, and build muscle. None of these tasks can be fully accomplished without monitoring macros. As of now, i had to download the "my fitness pal" app to track my nutrients; something which i should NOT have to do after investing hundreds of dollars into the fitbit device.
hassi2k7
Base Runner

You're totally right - I hope that fitbit will update the app very soon, the feature request ist over an half year old. It's impossible to use the app for nutrition tracking.

skyrian
First Steps
I would like to make a suggestion. When doing updates would it be possible to combine the nutrition data for the entire day and be able to access that from the dashboard. Right now I have to input the food, check the sodium level for each item and then add that info manually to see if I'm staying under my 2000 mg a day diet. I am a heart patient on a low salt diet and this would be an absolute lifesaver literally.

It would also be a nice feature for those interested in fat grams, carbs, etc.

Thank you for your consideration.

Becky Woodard
Rights21
Jogger
I've would love for this suggestion to happen. It would make food choices during the day so much better!
Joe41ms14
First Steps
Definitely need to be able to track all macronutrient intake vs. the daily recommended amount on the mobile app (percentages and grams or milligrams). Even with all the technical setbacks jawbone up app got this right.
Newpath
First Steps
Yes! So glad others are asking for the same feature. I NEED to track my carbs, and I don't want to have to go to another app for this feature. Please make the carb count as easily accessible as the calorie count already is. Would love to have a carb goal on the dashboard, and then have it monitored throughout the day, just as the calorie count is now. Thank you for considering this. It is very important to me.
Jasper8888
Recovery Runner
Net carbs... Carbs minus fiber
lauraelliotshaw
First Steps

Just got my fitbit.  I am crushed about the lack of net carb tracking.  I'm successfully losing weight by counting net carbs.  I feel like I've waisted my money and will just have to go back to logging meals through myfitnesspal.  So disappointed.  

Pleochroicsoul
First Steps
Since I'm required to not only count calories but fat for the program I am on, it would be nice to see the fat grams on my iPhone. I don't always have a laptop to see that on and looking when I do have one is often too late.
OolongPancake
First Steps
Yes this would be great. Even just a little pie graph on the app would help.
CarbCounter
First Steps
Love the flexibility of the food and calorie tracker. I would love it even more if it tracked carbs and fat . At least summarize intake for each day.
agam10
First Steps

Hi

I had Flex for just over a year now and I was using it on and off for some time. Then it was just resting in my drawer until I have been diagnosed with diabetes type 2. For last 2 months I have been using it all the time. It is really helpful to track some of the stuff but it would have been even better if I could add to dashboard carbohydrates and sugar instead of calories. At the moment I have to use another app to help me track what I eat. It would be great if I could see all that in one place.

Just a thought.

Thank you

Aga

agreed, being able to set our own goals for macro nutrient breakdowns would be great. Additionally, I would like to be able to set goals for minimum fiber intake and maximums on sugar, saturated fat grams, sodium, etc.

Also, it would be nice to see other micronutrient levels (iron, folate, vitamins, etc.), all the food labels have these listed and all fruits and veggies are publically avaliable, this would be great for those of us who are tracking these for deficiencies as per medical advice.

It'd also be nice if we could get a notificaiton alert when we log a food that has trans fats listed on the nutrition label.

Please increase the functionality of food logging. Thanks!!!

Aussie21
First Steps
I think it would be good to have in the food section a protein, carbs and fats breakdown
As an amateurs body builder I like to keep track of my intake to make sure I keep as close to my 40/40/20 split
A pie chart of how many grams and how much % your protein carbs and fats you are consuming would make this 100 times easier

Thoughts?
DANLEV02
Stepping Up

I noticed on the fitbit app if I change the servers size the nutrition facts do not change with it like on the MFP but can be changed in the online app.. Will this feature be available soon

vatechhokie87
Stepping Up

I agree.  I just purchased the FitBit premium service ($49/year) and it gives you the breakdown graph on Mondays for the previous week.  I would love to see this daily.  MyFitness Pal has this as part of their app but I am trying to just stick with one app!

Catzmagee
First Steps
Yes I agree. I would love to be able to see nutritional breakdown. I'm having to use calorie counter by map my fitness so I can see my breakdown Because in trying to increase my protein intake. But I love the Fitbit app more. So much easier to use and nicer to look at!
CalaLily
First Steps

I am doing Atkins diet. The ability to write carbs only would be helpful. I choose products based on net carbs. Except for fresh veggies that do not come packaged with nutritional information,I know the carb count and calories are not an issue. I have lost 30lbs. already.

Thank You.

ariellehaze
First Steps

This is a huge issue!  I want to know if I am nutrient deficient in proteins and overdoing my fats.  I am vegetarian, so this is something I need to track.  I have used SparkPeople for years, and they allow this type of tracking.  

FitBit should be about nutrition, not just weight loss.  I hope they add these in as "Goals" and "Remaining" just like they do with the calories tracker.

ariellehaze
First Steps

I think the app needs it, but it's not enough.  The dashboard needs to also show Goals and Remaining for each of those nutritional categories.  Currently, I don't know if I am over or under in fats, proteins, etc.  I know how many I have consumed, but that's useless unless I know goals for my body.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.