Track Macros in App (daily carbs/protein/fat intake)

The browser log shows a breakdown of your macros for the day, and this is extremely useful, but it is absent in the app. For many people, including myself, it's not only important to track your calorie intake for the day, but also your macronutrient intake (carbohydrates, protein, and fat). When I'm considering my next meal or planning my food for the day, I want to know how much of each macronutrient I have eaten so far, so I don't go overboard. As a busy individual, most of my food logging is done through the app. However, I can not track my macronutrients through the app, which makes it hard for me to regulate my intake.

Here is an example of the "daily totals" macro tracker on the Fitbit browser log:

macros.png

Extremely helpful. Not only does it show how many grams of each macro I've consumed for the day, but it also shows the percentage of my daily consumption for each macro. The aforementioned is a fabulous feature because I split my daily macro targets into percentages (ie; 30% carbs, 35% fat, 35% protein). This allows to see me where I'm at so far, or even log everything I INTEND to eat and see where that would leave me. Then, I can make adjustments. Really a great feature.

But, again, it's not available on the app. And I think it's really important that this be added, for several reasons:

• A lot of people log most of their food through the day via app because of time restrictions/lack of access to a computer.
  • Real time macronutrient tracking helps everyone to meet their goals and adjust planned meals based on where their macronutrients currently stand.
  • Macronutrient tracking is just as important as calorie tracking. We need a balance of macronutrients to be happy and healthy.
  • Easily accessible (app) macronutrient tracking will help people to see patterns in their diet which are causing them to fall short of what they need, therefore helping them improve their diet.
  • Diet and what you eat is just as important as how many calories you consume. Being able to see the macronutrient numbers alongside the calorie numbers will help people become more aware of their diet.

Please give us macronutrient tracking in the app! It's such a wonderful feature of the browser log, and should definitely be prioritized for including it in the app log. Fitbit is an amazing product and can really help people turn their lifestyles around for the better, and adding the macronutrient tracker to the app will only further help those who need direction in the area of diet.

Moderator Edit: updated subject for clarity & Labels

873 Comments
ariellehaze
First Steps

I have just joined FitBit with my HR Charge, but the dashboard (and apps) do not track nutritional goals, only calories (used for weight-loss).  I want to be healthy / fit, not just lose weight.  

Suggestion: FitBit needs to add in nutritional goals based on your own body-weight, BMI, weightloss goal, and diet.  

Example: I want to know my daily fat, protein, carb, sodium, and vitamin goals and remaining balance.  FitBit does this for calories.  SparkPeople does this for fat, protein, sodium, carbs, and vitamins.  FitBit should add this ASAP!!!

I want to know, based on MY weight, MY goal, and MY BMI, how many carbs, proteins, etc. that I should eat / take-in per day.  How many do I have remaining?  I can see how many I have consumed, but that doesn't help me without knowing what my goal is per category.

I am a vegetarian too, so I'd love FitBit to have a meal plan creator (like SparkPeople) that helps me stay within these goals for MY body.  If I am going to pay for premium, I want these features.  Otherwise, I have to log foods into BOTH dashboards: FitBit and SparkPeople.  This is a huge pain!

FitBit, please add these features so I can move from this double entry system to just use FitBit.  Thank you!

Sheraff
Recovery Runner

Hi team,

Would it make sense to have a macronutrients tile? Since the information is already in there, it feels like it wouldn't take too much effort to compile it into this type of graphs we see everywhere on fitness blogs:

3-keys-to-dialing-in-your-macros-5b.png3-keys-to-dialing-in-your-macros-6b.png

cherrie
Recovery Runner
I want to agree with this post. Does Fitbit have a Customer Service ? There is much potential for improvement. Why can the food base from Fooducate be so superior and all the features be so premium from Sparkpeople and Fitbit not be more up to date. Please!
alecmac
Jogger
I strongly agree. Fit-bit vs weightloss-bit. Even something as simple as the use a "my plate" would be a big improvement. Food groups and sub groups are essential.
alecmac
Jogger
I agree and this is only one of 26 similar comments with over 170 total votes. Think they really look at these things?
SusieQ2
Recovery Runner
I watch carbs. I would like to see a Carb tile on the dashboard and the ability to set a carb goal.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

How would Fitbit know the difference between "simple carbs" (refined sugars, which are

bad) and "complex carbs" (from fruit, vegetables, grains, etc., which are good)?

cswear14
Jogger
So, I guess the answer to my question is, NO 😞 I had just logged on to search for the answer. It would be awesome to see all the breakdowns in the app!!!!
SFD
First Steps

When logging the nutritional data of food, it's often impossible to find the sodium content (in mg), as most food labels simply show salt (in grams) instead. Could you add a "salt content (g)" option to the nutritional data log?

Thanks FitBit, it's such a great product!

kstoneman
First Steps

Having the ability to see the Daily Totals of Nutrition break down on fitbit.com is great, but it would be even better if you could see them in the app.  Today, in order to do that I have to track my food in MFP and sync with the fitbit app.  One tool...one stop shop...happy user.

Funkydrummer2
First Steps
Ability to track macronutrients on the app so you can watch your daily goal without having to go to a computer.
putiri
First Steps

When I look at my food log on the computer it shows the total calories, carbs, fat, protein and sodium consumed so far. I wish that was on the phone App too for quick reveiw when making food choices with an intent on monitoring one category or another.

EKate
First Steps

I get that a full breakdown is a premium feature, but coming from jawbone to fitbit, its a serious disappointment to have to pay an extra 50 dollars a year just to get simple addition of information i can already see in the detailed nutrition facts in each item I add. 

Having to pay 50 dollars for some VERY simple math and a small UI change, especially when it could just be displayed as a lump sum for the day under my calories in and calories out is unfortunate. and I'm considering moving back to jawbone because of it.

nilehawver
First Steps

I just sent FitBit Support a question about adding this to the iOS app, and they said vote and comment here. Adding Macro information to the Fitbit iOS app (the same data that is displayed on the desktop is fine with me!) would be awesome! 

razielim09
First Steps
Even just a simple place to keep track of carbs in general, especially the app, would be useful to those that are keeping track.
AcadiaSelkie
Recovery Runner

I agree.  When food is tracked, it includes carbohydrates.  Having a tile that tells you how many carbs are consumed in a meal can help diabetics with their carb counting, and give pre-diabetics get a good visual of where the most carbs are sneaking in to help them control intake.  Please add a cabrohydrate tile!

GTTN
Jogger

Carbohydrate Tracking on Moblie Dashboard - Please Add

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
DerrickS
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

@aurrore Great idea! I think having macro nutrient data on the Fitbit App would definitely help with reaching their health and fitness goals. I also think that it could help users with making healthy eating choices. I'll be sure to pass along your request to the team for further review.

Thanks for sharing your idea on the Feature Request Board!

K2kraky
Jogger
My friends and I are all using my fitness pal to enter our food. It seems to have a great database of foods. Unfortunately a lot are American. It would be nice to forward snapshots of food info to have them added to the system over time. I currently add them into fitness pal as a favorited but over time it would nice to have the database continue to grow. I can also punch in recipes that I use frequently which is a great perk as I precook and freeze a lot of meals
scholl
Base Runner

@K2kraky - You can add foods and put in custom meals etc. with the Fitbit food logging as well, which will also help the Fitbit database grow. I'm currently eating a meal I eat at least once a week - and just logged the whole meal very easily. 

K2kraky
Jogger
But does it stay in the system for others to draw from and can we trust just anyone to be able to add food items. I'm trying not to eat anything packaged but it does happen and some are ingredients for a recipe. I'm finding the my fitness pal library of foods is way much better than the Fitbit. Mind you I haven't used the Fitbit in six months. Has it been improved lately because I found myself typing in a lot of things. Where with My Fitness Pal the items already in the system is quite vast. I. Use the barcode scanner as well.

Kathy Krakenberg
scholl
Base Runner

It does - the bread I like to eat someone put in wrong - instead of 7g protein they put 77g protein, so I have to be careful which I select 😉 

K2kraky
Jogger
Exactly. They need to take control of that. Might be longer getting it entered but it would be correct. Maybe an option for us to check when we enter the data ourselves and once they confirm it only then does it become part of their library. An option to either include a photo of the label and picture of the packaging or a bar code scanner to give it to them. Over time I'm sure it would be amazing.

Kathy Krakenberg
scholl
Base Runner

The amount of work that would be needed to manually curate such a database would be prohibitive. My point is, you can add your own foods, customize things, etc. - just as you can in the other places. Your original post indicated you didn't know that was possible. It is - but you also have to take some personal responsibility as well.

RC2005
First Steps

A Carb app would be much more benificial,  I am diabetic,  CARBs are more important to

my health the overall calories.  I would love to see this be an option.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.