Trade in/Upgrade Program

I've been a fitbit user for a little over a year now, receiving one as a gift last Christmas. Now seeing how my flex is so behind the times, I would like to upgrade to one of the HR ones. However, spending another 130-150 is very difficult. Wanting Fitbit to offer an upgrade or trade in program to allow for this to be more affordable.

Moderator Edit: Title & Labels

476 Comments
fibby
Base Runner

I am totally with you on the reluctance to replace a working device with a new one but in terms of economic benefit for fitbit, it would likely be more costly for fitbit to extract parts from old device and re-use them. For fitbit, there is no obvious immediate economic benefit but then what about social responsibility, branding, customer loyalty and retention etc, the benefits on the long term ? Hopefully after Google took over, there will be a better strategic planning.

halfpint1254
First Steps

upgrade/trade-in would be a wonderful thing just like our cell phones and other smart devices - it gives the advanced users the options to upgrade and the new users who are not 100% sure or the individuals who do not have the budget to go all out and spend tons of money on something they really want.  

it would be a win-win all around.  It looks like this is something that has been asked and suggested for years but it still has not happened.. has not even been an idea... 

or give the upgrade option to premium members only since we pay for a membership...

PetiteP
Recovery Runner

Please let me know...does Fitbit offer trade-ins? It has been a few years since I have asked this question and now have 3 devices mainly using the Versa Lite. Thank you. looking at the Versa 3.

biganson
First Steps

I'd love to buy a new fitbit device if I can trade in my old device (it's working fine). Otherwise I'm probably not going to buy a new one since I also have an apple watch

I don't see it happening anytime soon or the suggestion just might be discarded...As Fibby rightly pointed out above, it might not be feasible from the organization's point of view....With the competition in this fitness bands & smartwatches already at it's peak, the organization would rather focus on other aspects than trade-in programs, which would cost them extra just to extract the parts & sensors. Now since Google has taken over, after reaching a substantial position & profits in the market, they might roll out such trade-in programs...We can only wait until then..

Heatherloyd
First Steps
I received a 35% off coupon from customer service due to issue with my versa 2. I went to purchase an upgraded version and was unable to since coupon won’t apply on the upgraded version. Spoke to customer service was told that no they can’t help me go purchase something without the coupon or downgrade device.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Heatherloyd, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see an upgrade program on Fitbit. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Under Consideration". I hope to see you around.

KrisLau
First Steps

Kinda crazy how this suggestion is from 2015 and it still hasn't been implemented. I have a versa 2 and the versa 3 has a mic and speaker which was honestly the only thing missing from the 2. I bought mine last year and I want to upgrade but $150 on sale is still way too pricy for me.

halfpint1254
First Steps
I know it would make so much more sense to have an upgrade program
PinkCat
Recovery Runner

I would love to see an upgrade program, even if the discount for the new device is very modest.  Some of the trade-ins could be refurbished and donated to outreach programs as suggested elsewhere.  Also the materials could be best reclaimed and not end up in the landfill.  I'd feel better about upgrading when my current device is still functional, but not the latest.  Thank you for considering this kind of program.

J-Cal
Jogger

By now Fitbit understands that a trade in upgrade program is something a majority of device owners really want to see.  I would say that at this point, without a base statement on their primary website indicating an upcoming program... they will continue to ignore all of these requests.

It's so sad when a company chooses to ignore the wants of its' customer base.  Not a good strategy which has been demonstrated time and time again that these companies end up shooting themselves in the foot.

Fatkidsluvcake
First Steps

Yes, please! I have fitbits coming out of the wazoo...it's a waste that they just sit on the shelf and collect dust every time I buy a new one.

johnnylambo
Jogger

received many emails from the old Fitbit account.   This discussion was created almost 4 years ago. And nothing happens.  Good luck to all.  I am out 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I can to see if there was an upgrade program, now that Google owns FitBit. was disappointed to see none, I have numerous devices from FitBit, the latest being an Ionic that had to be replaced in the first 6 months. Now the ionic is barely supported, the new Versa 3 is where all the focus is. Once this devices finally dies (Current Ionic) I will be moving to Garmin that offers a trade-up program. If you build devices to fail or have planned obsolescence or a short duration till end of Life , it's just pointless. At least with that in mind at Garmin, there is a path to upgrade and not being soaked 400.00 each device. 

True that. With the technology developing every two years, there is a need to constantly upgrade your devices. Almost every smartphone manufacturer offers that upgrade program. And now since this wearable section is also developing so fast, it would have been really beneficial for the users if there's an option to upgrade. Nevertheless, Even I am moving to Garmin for my next device since they offer trade-in.....

Thank you Fitbit for your support over the last 3 years..

Iceman605
Jogger

I suggested a trade in program! It’s would be a great idea for Fitbit to do for current Fitbit users.... 

Come on Fitbit! Get er done

Mika82
First Steps

I think a trade in program would be great for current fitbit users. We can take advantage on the deals as well as upgrading to something current.  

panzas619
First Steps

Fitbit should consider a trade-in program. Not only will they be able to sell more bands/watches this way but they will be reducing their environmental impact as well. They could recycle materials, batteries, repurpose circuit boards or simply re-sell older models all while giving existing Fitbit members a slight discount on the newer models that come out. 

Arvindh
Jogger
I am looking to buy a new Fitbit Charge 4. I'm already a Fitbit user and am using Fitbit Surge for the past 6 years. While my Surge is in perfect working condition, I want to buy Charge as an upgrade but I would like to opt for an exchange which I couldn't find while making the purchase.
DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Arvindhthanks for sharing your suggestion about having the option to trade in or upgrade your current Fitbit device with a more recent model, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is currently Under Consideration status. This helps to keep the forums more organized. 

Thank you for your participation in the Community. 

Arvindh
Jogger
Hi Team,

Thanks for the update. May I know the next steps after the "Under
Consideration" status? Can I expect the trade in to be made viable in a
month or two?

Cheers,
Arvindh
J-Cal
Jogger
Thanks for your comments. Yes those old posts are old, it it's apparent
that Fitbit is not going to anything along the exchange lines. Your
description of Garmin sounds great...but before I go any further, I think
you menton a sleep app on the Garmin device. Does it work at least as well
as Fitbit??\
Thanks...
J-Cal
Jogger
I truely believe that the trade in program would have been started by now
since it's been over a year. I am getting good reports on Garman.

My Venu 2 has not yet received. I will be able to give a firm review after a month. But I checked the reviews and it gives the same insight and details like, sleep score, sleep patterns and duration of awake time, deep sleep, light sleep, REM etc. And also, what caused your poor sleep, (from the other parameters like stress, fatigue, and what you need to do to get sound sleep). For which, I believe you need to buy a premium program in case of Fitbit.

J-Cal
Jogger
Thanks for getting back to me.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.