Upload non GPS activity to Strava

To be able to upload all types of activity to Strava, including non-GPS activities, such as weightlifting.

Moderator Edit: Updated label

135 Comments
lidzau
Base Runner

As winter comes in I find my riding is more and more restricted to a stationary trainer doing SPIN classes. It would be great if this activity was also recognised on Strava.I realise that only GPS based activity can be synched right now and am hoping this can change

JoruusC
Jogger

The logging of virtual indoor rides in Strava exists more then a year now and I do most of my winter activities with Zwift. There are a lot more providers out there who offer virtual ride expierence with Strava integration (like Trainerroad, Bkool, Virtualride only to name a few) and I guess there are a lot of fitbitusers who are part of that community.

It would be really helpfull if Fitbit would sync those exercises too.

I saw a forum post from a year ago that you guys were working on it, perhaps posting this here will help to speed things up! 😉

Apversluis
First Steps

Thanks for posting this.  Like you, I use Fitbit as my fitness aggregator as I love the dashboard and am an avid walker.  I just got into road cycling this last year and love Strava for its online tools and the link to Fitbit works well.  After adding a Stages power meter to my roadbike, I've converted it to a virtual trainer through Zwift - another great app.  I was happy to sync it to Strava as I gear up for getting back into shape, but am rather disappointed that the such doesn't carry through to the Fitbit app. Strava is a trusted app and this type of virtual workout shouldn't be filtered out.  The puddle of sweat and sore legs that follow are proof that it's a proper workout! 

JakeW
First Steps

I would like this feature as well

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

According to the main post on Strava their activity should sync over to Fitbit.

My tought wpuld be to contact them and ask them why they don't send the  virtual activity over.

EMCee
Recovery Runner

The most likely reason they don't sent the virtual activity over is because of missing GPS coordinates in the FIT file, I don't think Fitbit has this built in for Bike activities yet. 

My suggestion is to add a manual activity(Bike) within the time that you did your Zwift ride ,this will use your Fitbit HR data. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

The Garmin Connect IQ products (Forerunner 235, Fenix5, etc) all allow treadmill workouts to upload to Strava, including a distance, time, heart rate, cadence, suffer score, etc.  I know Fitbit's current integration with Strava only includes GPS-related activities but the Garmin/Strava integration proves that this does not need to be the case for treadmill workouts.  Adding this feature removes any reason for me to buy a Garmin to capture this data in Strava.

Moderator edit: Added labels

PisZa
Jogger

Now i have changed my watch to Garmin

this is one of the reason that it work only fitbit community not other

bye

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I would also like to see this integration.  I also aggregate fitness data using Fitbit and would love to see all my Strava rides cross over, including the virtual ones....

talz13
First Steps

Yes, please add this integration. It's frustrating that we spend so much time and money on these wonderful solutions, but then they can't sync properly. It already syncs regular rides from Strava, why can't Fitbit at least take the time / distance / calories from the virtual rides?

Bkhud1
First Steps

I put my Fitbit on "Spinning" while I'm riding the Zwift and plan to sync Zwift and Strava, but it would be nice if all three could sync together.

Frenk
Base Runner

I have the same wish. I would like my exercise time and heartrate info synced with strava!

grtz

jusrelax
First Steps

This is a major request from me as well.  Especially with fall upon us and winter coming soon, now would be the perfect time for fitbit to implement this in order to ensure that they do not lose any cycling enthusiasts.  I personally am considering my options and am currently experimenting with alternatives. If fitbit is not able to implement this soon, I will be going with an alternative.

Bkhud1
First Steps
Amen!

Sent from my iPhone
joe.pye
Stepping Up

Another upvote.

jkleed
Jogger

Come on Fitbit, this is a disappointment after investing in the Ionic.

Makes no sense that treadmill workouts doesn’t get exported to Strava when GPS based runs does, if Garmin can do it, then there shouldn’t be an excuse for Fitbit not to do the same.

JeffAA
First Steps

Another upvote. I’ve had an AltaHR for about a month. I do like it — I especially liked how my Strava rides synced over to Fitbit. So imagine my confusion & dissapointment when my Zwift indoor rides failed to sync. This makes zero sense. And, as others have noted, it completely screws up my calorie tracking on Fitbit! Solution is long overdue. 

FinalPythagoras
First Steps

More upvotes.  I use Zwift and Strava and am very disappointed that my Fitbit Blaze won’t work on Zwift, nor sync with Zwift virtual rides on Strava.   Cycling is a main event in my life, and I’m not going to continue to invest in Fitbit unless they at least invest in major app interfaces for cycling - including fixing the issues with Strava.   

Zach417
First Steps

Annoyed by lack of treadmill activity integration as well.

.tcx files should just at least export with empty <Position> and <AltitudeMeters> tags rather than an empty file. I could hack it myself to estimate fake coordinates based on distance and time for importing into Strava. I would expect this to be a very, very easy fix.

Or even just provide a simple way to export HR data, and I could build a script to generate the file from that.

EDIT: I've found a way to hack it. I can download my fitbit heart rate data from here, and I've developed a simple google spreadsheet template that takes the heart rate data, distance, and time and spits out the .tcx markup that I can upload to Strava. <Position> tag data is in fact not required to upload an activity. Still would prefer this feature, so that I don't have to do this after every treadmill run.

ToddHolbrook
First Steps

Please add the feature to upload treadmill data to Strava and MFP.

The above will be criteria for selecting my next running watch.

Trodelpost
First Steps

Another zwifter here. We need this integration yesterday! Voted +100000000!

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Please remember this request will require the cooperation of both Fitbit and Strava. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion.

OllyH
Jogger

We need a timeline for this, I've been waiting 2 years for this feature. Zwift is such a large part of my exercise regime that my Blaze is an activity tracker than doesn't track over two thirds of my activity, it might as well be a normal watch.

pedalspinner
First Steps

Another vote for this as a Zwift user. Long overdue, a bit embarassing really that this isn't sorted.

I don't actually care whether the ride info comes from Strava, maybe you need to work directly with Zwift to get thei run info directly uploaded to Fitbit.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.