Upload non GPS activity to Strava

To be able to upload all types of activity to Strava, including non-GPS activities, such as weightlifting.

Moderator Edit: Updated label

135 Comments
kdobes
Jogger

No matter how it actually works, the onus is on FitBit to make sure it works because they advertise compatibility with Strava.  Either make it work or stop the false advertising.

koekiewookie
Jogger

I believe Fitbit does not realize how important this feature is to some or many.

Others provide this facility, like with my tacx home trainer, I simply linked my strava account and hopla all my indoor (inhouse) rides are dumped into strave, neat!.

So what's keeping them from implementing this? There strategy and focus is probably not in line with our expectations.

I don't expect them to do anything soon about this, if I find another 2nd hand product that does support it, I'll switch.

It's also our decision to accept and live with it or to not accept and take action. the third option is waiting...waiting..waiting...naaah !!

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

The biggest drawback I see in this request is that Fitbit leaves it up to the third party as to what they want. 

Yes I know Fitbit sends gps recorded activity but if Strava wants the rest, they are more then able to set this up. 

Josh-S
Recovery Runner

I just purchased my first fitness watch ever which is the Fitbit Ionic. Most of my working out is and rower (Concept II). Therefore no GPS data. I use the generalized  workout exercise program. I also use it for climbing real stairs at work (14 floors 2 to 3x per day). I now know other trackers have no problem exporting to TCX without GPS data. I don't see why this simple thing that every other fitness tracker (Polar Garmnin) supports isn't supported by Fitbit. This issue has been requested by users I see for a long time. Please implement it!!

JakeStrava
Jogger

Please, support swimming better too. It's really annoying not being able to get this data into strava. 

Troutsky
First Steps

I don't even know why you would create the integration for GPS only activities and not the others.  This should be a high priority to fix or allow users to track using Strava on the watch and sync into Fitbit.  

DEClarke85
First Steps

I would love to see this integration happen. I just started using Strava, and because of it's social media elements, I think it'd be neat to see these non-GPS activities port over automatically.

Gleowyn
Jogger

Garmin and TomTom have the possibility to share non-gps activities to Strava. Please add this feature to Fitbit as well. I would like to add my workouts. 

Gleowyn
Jogger

Please support this idea. People are switching watches because of this. 

LostEchoes
Progression Runner

One more vote from me !
I was always wondering how come my friends with Garmin hardware could upload non-GPS activities to Strava while I couldn't !
I really hope Fitbit engineers think about this seriously and implement / resolve it, so that we can all (auto) sync everything to Strava. 

Strava is a very popular fitness platform, so maybe Fitbit developers should think this twice.

shppotta
Recovery Runner

Hi,

@Gleowyn try to use FitToStrava.com web app to sync your non-gps activities.

LostEchoes
Progression Runner

@shppotta 
I have used your web app and it is really nice.
However, having to use 3rd party solutions is not the ideal solution.
Garmin and other fitness companies and platforms support the direct sync to Strava even for non-GPS activities.
Fitbit should implement this. It would be better and more time efficient for all of its customers that need this feature.

koekiewookie
Jogger

@shppotta

Thanks for the info!

fboab
First Steps

It is ridiculous that years have passed and this still isn't implemented. Virtual rides/ runs/ swims should sync too. 

sumskat
First Steps

I've been using TomTom watch for years to sync my gym/treadmill/static bike workouts with Strava - no GPS data, only HR and time. Just bought a Inspire HR and disappointed that it will only sync GPS-enabled activities. Cannot see any reason why this feature could not be implemented in Fitbit.

Instead using an intrepid users's homemade app fittostrava.com as a workaround. But obviously would love Fitbit to get this done.

Please make this happen!

Thanks,

Sumskat

gordon1
Jogger

Please fix this.  Heartrate monitor for strava was the ONLY reason i got a fitbit.  It already autodetects my activity and records heartrate during it, so it should automatically sync that to my strava activity.  I should not have to create a fitbit activity manually as well as a strava one to get the heartrate info into there

gordon1
Jogger

biking is not even an option for tracking activity type in fitbit so how are u supposed to GPS your bike ride to sync it to your strava recording?

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@gordon1 yes bike is one of the 20 or so available options for trackers with multisport. 

This is explained in your user manual or the online guide

Bike just needs to be added and you will get a gps route tracked and this ride will transfer to Strava. 

Marcoaf
First Steps

Hopefully this will be added now that Google acquired Fitbit. Otherwise, I will have to dump Fitbit and move to Garmin.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

It is still Strava's decision. Not fitbit's or Google. 

LostEchoes
Progression Runner

@Rich_Laue 

It's Fitbit's choice and the way that Fitbit's TCX file is exported that is not compatible with what Strava requires.
Everyone with Garmin hardware could always set up the auto-sync of all (even non-GPS) of their activities to Strava. Garmin's (even non-GPS) exported files contain what Strava requires. And let me emphasize that we are talking about automatic (default) export / sync and not indirect and manual ways that no one has time to use & implement for each and every activity. 
Everything is explained at the following two topics: 

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Web-API-Development/TCX-export-without-GPS-data/m-p/786005/highlight...

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Surge/Syncing-Non-GPS-activity-with-Strava/td-p/1100001

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

A TCX file is a file is a format to save GPS data so yes if gps was not used then the exports TCX file will be blank. 

However Strava receives it's data directly through the Internet without the users intervention. 

If Strava decides to want data from every type of event then they will need to approach Fitbit. Fitbit does not push them selves onto third parties. Besides even if Fitbit sends data over to the third party, it will be up to the third party to receive and process the data. 

LostEchoes
Progression Runner

So are we supposed to think that Strava has come to some sort of special agreement with Garmin (meaning that Strava actually asked Garmin for this) in order for ALL of the Garmin's activities (even the NON-GPS ones) to be synced / uploaded to the Strava platform ?

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

I'm not going to tell you what to think. But here is what Strava says. 

kdobes
Jogger

To me it doesn't matter how it works or who is responsible for what.  The simple fact is that Fitbit advertised full compatibility with Strava and that's why I bought it.  Implementation complications are no excuse for false advertising.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.