Upload non GPS activity to Strava

To be able to upload all types of activity to Strava, including non-GPS activities, such as weightlifting.

Moderator Edit: Updated label

135 Comments
keatrob
Recovery Runner

I highly support this request. I workout once or twice a week in the gym on the treadmill and would very much like to sync my fitbit treadmill data to Strava instead of manually creating a Strava entry. Thank you! 🙂

Nielseijkelkamp
First Steps

Currently onky the following exercise data can be synced to strava : runs, ride or swims. Please also add syncing of interval exercise (with GPS) to strava

kdobes
Jogger

Another vote for this feature.  Pretty disappointed that my virtual rides aren't syncing on my brand new smartwatch.

Mars2003
Recovery Runner

Another vote from me for this feature.

Please add the ability to sync indoor swims with strava. It’s disappointing that a I can’t get all my exercises synced in strava 

BeansMcGee
First Steps

Requesting that Fitbit sync non GPS activities to Strava.

Kazoly
Jogger

Another Zwifter here!  Been using Charge 2 almost a year (I think), like it a lot, join Zwift since April and trying to have my HR show on the screen since the Charge 2 is Bluetooth connected to my iPhone already there shouldn’t be a problem (as I thought)... Been reading a lot of the comments inside the forums from both sides, then of course they both said that it’s the others side problem.  You know what, I don’t really care whose problem this is, you guys just need to work together to satisfy your customers.  I’m that close giving up on my Charge 2...

morkelbel23
Recovery Runner

I wish my Versa would sync with my Strava gps activity. I'm finding that the gps functions better with that app!

Aly429
First Steps

I was a Garmin user, but was very excited when I got my ionic, especially with the Strava app right on my wrist!  However, after my first indoor treadmill workout I was so disappointed to find out that those workouts don't link to Strava.  I use Strava to capture all of my workouts, and to have half or more, especially with winter coming up, not being able to sync over I am contemplating moving over to the Garmin Vivoactive 3 Music, as it has the same features and syncs a lot better with third party apps, not to mention holds all of your running data for a very long time.  I'm very disappointed with this feature and it'll probably make me move back to Garmin.

spiderks
First Steps

I switched from a 4 year old Garmin Fenix to new Ionic assume as a established and developed brand, the sync of "all" activities to one of the most popular sport tracking app should be a basic features. What a bummer ! will consider buy back Garmin if this feature is continue missing 

morkelbel23
Recovery Runner
I have the Versa and am a little disappointed the way it works.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

It would be a great to be able to sync indoor activities to Strava!

SwakopMan
First Steps

Developers at FitBit - I have written my own app that harvests data from Strava and picking up a Virtual Ride is just as easy as picking up a normal ride. Please add this feature to the Strava to Fitbit sync. Thank you.

Dgold
Jogger

Currently Fitbit only syncs exercise data to Strava that includes GPS data (e.g. runs), which I've confirmed with Fitbit Support. Strava has expanded to include non-GPS/gym based workout types.

I'd like the option to at least sync the Fitbit exercise type "Workout" to Strava, and potentially any others that don't necessarily use the GPS.

Karinecoutinho
First Steps

This integration will benefit everyone, Strava is nowadays one of the most widely used apps for workout. I do a lot of indoors workouts, especially swimming and it's important for me to track of all activities in both apps since I've been using Strava way before I bought my fitibit watch. 

Please add this feature, Fitbit!

Jeff-Fu-Fury
Jogger

This is my 2nd Fitbit ionic. When I have to buy another one I won’t unless the same integration Garmin can do happens with Fitbit. 

joshhorn8
First Steps

This feature is a must have! If I had realized this major shortcoming of Fitbit then I would have gone with another device. Between November and March weather often dictates that lots of running/cycling/swimming workouts be done indoors, and I want to see those on Strava without manually entering it myself. This can't be a particularly difficult feature to add, but since this thread is years old Fitbit doesn't seem to care.

I'll be looking elsewhere for my next product if this isn't resolved.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

We have come to one assumption on this thread, that if that Fitbit is the only decision maker as to what gets sent to Strava. For some unknown reason people have forgotten that part of the decision on what Strava receives it up to Strava.

I'm not saying we should blame Strava, I'm simply pointing out that there are 2 parties in this decision and we do not know which party has decided what.

We can not blame Fitbit until we know Strava's position in the matter, as for as we know the decision to only accept GPS backer data  might have been made by Strava.

koekiewookie
Jogger

I use thé treadmill a lot, it would be great to have the exercise synced to my strava account.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

@Rich_Laue Strava has a public API that allows literally any platform that codes for it to upload of activities directly to Strava.  GPS or non-GPS.

This is not a Strava problem.  It's also why hikes don't upload to Strava.  Fitbit simply didn't code for it, even though literally the only difference between a hike and a walk to Strava is the activity name.

kdobes
Jogger

Three years since the first comment on this and no action from Fitbit.  This is basic functionality that should not be being missing from their flagship product especially when its advertised as being fully compatible with Strava.  Tossing my ionic and shopping elsewhere.

jusrelax
First Steps

Fitbit - please take note: I've moved on, and I'm sure there are quite a few others that have moved on as well.  This is a game-breaking feature that you have decided not to implement for 3+ years now.  A company that does not seriously consider its customer base is not worth it's customer's money.  

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Yes I understand that @SunsetRunner. however Fitbit does not push themselves into other apps, but invites other apps to link up. Personally I think Fitbit has their plate full just keeping up with internal problems. 

Did you read the Feature Suggestion FAQ? Fitbit never said that they will implement every suggestion. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

@Rich_Laue.  All devices that choose to share push their data to strava. The device pushing a new activity to the data store is much less technically expensive and less annoying to a user than a data receiver constantly or periodically polling the data source to see if something has changed.

That's not how Web API's work for real-time integration.  ie.  Data source decides it has data to share and notifies data receivers.  Not the other way around.

Strava provided the API for Fitbit to do this.  They have chosen not to.  You rightly point out they likely have bigger issues to take care of but you also suggested that Strava can simply pull the data instead of Fitbit pushing it.  Okay then.  Show me where Strava, or any developer, can create a .tcx for .fit file with time-based speed and heart rate data and I will go do it myself.  there has already been a couple mentions in this thread that 3rd parties can't seem to do it.

Thus. Fitbit issue.  Not strava issue. 

You're also free to point out where I said I expected Fitbit to implement this.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Yes @SunsetRunner Fitbits API will let the third party know that new data is availible. And yes Fitbit pushes the gps recorded data to Strava. 

And your correct in that Fitbit chooses not to interface with third party apps but encourages third party apps to interface with Fitbit. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.