brightness setting and longer display times

In certain circumstances the LED is very bright. Controlling the brightness level via app could save battery power which could be used on having the display on for longer.

Moderator edit: labels.

69 Comments
Tom_in_Delaware
Premium User
First Steps
I bought a Fitbit One to wear on my key chain with a Bluetooth connection to my iPhone. This at least logs my miles and gets my steps into the Fitbit database. And then I bought a cheap LCD pedometer to wear on my wrist. The LCD display is very readable. Most of the Fitbit models are totally unreadable in bright sunlight.

Sent from my iPhone
Diatomacious
First Steps
Good idea - This doesn't help as I rely on the wrist version during the week when I don't cry my keys with me. (I.e. Work) thanks though.

Sent from my iPhone

Scott Novak
SunsetRunner
Not applicable
My HR display is too dim to read outside. Need brightness control for in and outdoors.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable
My HR display is not as bright as my Charge display
FlashP74
Base Runner
I got my money back from the burns the ChargeHR gave me and bought a Blaze instead. Adjusting the brightness, is an option on the device itself, so it surely can't be too hard to do this on the Charge via the app? - unless the component to do this isn't there. There is also an auto setting which adjusts the screen brightness automatically like on your phone so at night it is faint and in bright sunshine it is brighter.

The larger body also allows hardly any leakage of the green light from the LEDs underneath so is much nicer at night.
dbaguyny
First Steps

As a new owner of an Alta, I agree with the other posters that the display is not visible in any outdoor light.  Please let us know when a fix will be applied to increase the brightness of the display so it is visible in daylight.  Thank you very much.

Tom_in_Delaware
Premium User
First Steps
I don't think it's going to happen any time soon. My solution is to wear two devices. I use a Fitbit to track overall mileage and the software has many useful features. And I wear a Smartfly Pedometer ($14) I bought on Amazon which has an LCD display which is readable in bright sunlight.

Sent from my iPhone
Gapingfly
First Steps
I've had to stop wearing mine to bed as well. Otherwise I wake up all night long as every movement triggers bright light In my face. Too bad, because one of the reasons I bought the charge 2 was for sleep tracking.
Roydashme
Stepping Up

Super bright especially at night before bed. 

Would love to turn it down as well as save more battery power!

Svictoria75
First Steps

For the Charge 2, I would like to see an update too adjust the display.

1) A brightness adjustment as it is too bright at night while sleeping.

2) And, a duration adjustment as the amount of time that the display is visible is currently too short.

Otherwise, loving the Fitbit .

mej30307
First Steps

Recently got a Charge 2 but it wakes up my wife at night when I move and the display lights up.  Need to be able to dim or turn off LED while sleeping.  Currently not wearing it at night.

byrdyard
Jogger

fitbit Charge 2 is too bright at night.  I wear it to track my sleep but it wakes me up when I move my wrist.  I am a light sleeper.  I'm going to have to use electrical tape to cover the face at night.

cristae.raf
First Steps

Definitely agree that there should be some sort of switch into night-mode or stealth mode that turns off the display for a bit when in dark public spaces or in class. Thanks for the consideration, hope it gets improved. 

grnthmbk
First Steps

I would also like to be able to read my Charge II in outdoor light.  It does not do much good to use a device of this type if one cannot see to use it.

THoffman
First Steps

It would be nice to have the brightness drop in sleep mode. Or at least automatically turn off quick view while sleeping. 

In the meantime, I've had to shut off quick view so I don't wake myself up with the bright light at night. 

Marip92
Jogger

I would really like to see this feature implemented!! The display is too bright for me, and I would prefer to save battery by adjusting it. 

liegra
First Steps

Can we please have LCD Settings in  the App?

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @FlashP74 thanks for your suggestion, I just wanted to give an update on this. Screen brightness settings have been implemented on our newest device, Ionic and on previous devices like Blaze. In 'settings', you can choose 'auto' (as opposed to 'dim', 'normal' or 'max') which adjusts screen brightness based on the ambient lighting conditions. So, at night time, the light emitted from the watch will be much lower.

This will likely impact battery life, which is then used in a variety of ways depending on the device. I know your original suggestion referred specifically to increasing screen display time, so I won't mark this as implemented but there are various other discussion where you can vote for increased screen display if you haven't already. You can find them by searching existing ideas here

Thanks for the suggestion!

CottonEye
First Steps

Have the ability to change the brightness level of the screen on different parameters.

• Straight dimmer level. Turn it down/up from the app.
  • Activity-based level: Exercise - turn it up so it can be seen easier. Sleep turn it down/ turn off auto light up so you are not blinded in the middle of the night.
  • Time-Based Level: Changed the settings between time A & B or change settings for 'X' hours. For use in cinemas, theatres etc or as an alternative to dimming overnight.
Bartgigi
First Steps

Totaly agree with this suggestion!

Can Fitbit release a update for the charge 2 that when it's tracking my/yours or someone It's sleep the screen will only go on with the button on the side. That will save me a lot of trouble with the girl next to me!

tibi01
Recovery Runner

This feature should be also in Blaze.

There should be also lower levels of brightness then the current level DIM.

In the night the display is very bright..

@Moderators Please add [Blaze] label to this feature.

RunMaine
Jogger

Why don't you make a little cap that snaps over the screen at night? 

Bartgigi
First Steps
Why do we not grow straight bananas because transport will be better en more efficient? Why won’t I give every girl next to me sunglasses for the night? Every screen accept of a calculator can be turn down or off in settings. This watch is expensive, high tech and smart, there must be an software solution.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone
tibi01
Recovery Runner

The brigness level at DIM is not low enough.

I need an ultra low DIM level or much better brightness management.

In case of "Auto" at night or in a dark room the level of brightness is still too high. The display could be used as a pocet lamp to read text. 😄

So the brightness level should go lower than it is now.

Semisausage
First Steps

I’ve just received the charge 2 as a Christmas present. I am a very light sleeper and every time I move my arm in the night the brightness of the screen wakes me up. I agree there should be an auto dim or the opportunity to change the brightness available through the app. My only issue with this device.  

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.