Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa 2 app development

It is possible to develop apps for the Fitbit Versa 2 smartwatch using the Fitbit Studio nowdays?

As I have purchased such a product and I get the following error message when building a project with a 4.3.0 SDK version: "Sideload of app failed. Connected device does not support API version requested by app".

The current firmware version of the watch is 35.70.7.14, which is not the latest, but the watch has not found an update even after several syncs (the watch has been purchased less than 1 day), but I have read that sometimes you have to wait 1-2 days for the latest firmware version if the watch is new, is this true? Will the latest firmware version support the 4.3.0 SDK?, and if not, is it possible to develop for older SDK versions in some way?

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Hi @Telexx - yes it's perfectly possible to develop for the Versa 2.

If it is a new watch see Incorrect Set up of a new device 

This would explain why it does not work. However in the meantime in Fitbit Studio you can click Select a device and Download Fitbit OS Simulator that will enable you to test most of the functionality without having to transfer tot the watch each time.

I moved your post to the development forum where you will get more responses.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have Versa 2 and sideloading app works perfect. Please read instruction FitBit SDK https://dev.fitbit.com/getting-started/

Probably you must change SDK to 4.2 in configuration file in FitBit Studio.

Best Answer
0 Votes

hi @andorb  - Fitbit Studio doesn't support 4.2 anymore, wish it did as quite a few things don't work in 4.3, so had to stop development.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, it can take a few days before the latest firmware is pushed to new devices.

I don't think Studio will let you build for older SDKs (as Guy_ said), but CLI will.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Gondwana - never got CLI 4.2 to work, it seems still influenced by some parts of 4.3, such that a previously published app would no longer load. Had to abandon support for some apps once 4.3 was released.

If you can provide tips how to get an identical CLI 4.2 environment to the original Studio 4.2 it would be appreciated.

Best Answer
0 Votes