Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback about features on Sense 2

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Seeing as my original post was buried in the Google assistant thread, even though its unrelated. I've decided to post it again.

I purchased the Sense 2 for my wife. We were aware that Google assistant would likely be missing (this is not our complaint), and she was ok with that (although I thought differently). 

To our surprise as you can imagine, we were shocked to learn that Google assistant isn't the only downgrade. Let me list the downgrades so that other users can save themselves some time. 

• No Google assistant.
  • No WiFi (means software updates will take forever). 
  • No Fitbit app gallery or access to 3rd party apps (this means no Deezer, Spotify or the likes).
  • No music controls. That's right, there is no ability to even control the music playing on your phone. 
  • No on wrist Bluetooth calling. 
  • No Google wallet or Google apps out of the box (we did know about this before the purchase). 
  • Inability to rearrange exercise shortcuts.
  • No snore detection 

I'm sorry but to me (and my non techie wife) this is an outright downgrade to the Versa 3 my wife was currently using. That's right the Sense 2 is a downgrade even on the Versa 3. Fitbit should be ashamed of themselves, they are acting no differently to a scam artist and will not be getting a dime more out of me.

Good luck and think twice before parting with your money.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
192 REPLIES 192

In general, I don't really look at the calorie burn. I focus on steps because it's something I can actively control. Unfortunately, I don't get step credit for using my Cubii on Garmin like I do on Fitbit. So, I was looking at calorie information to see if that would make a suitable goal to work towards (not necessarily aiming for a specific number). The only time I really care about calorie burn is when I'm moving into a maintenance phase. For some reason, Fitbit's estimated calorie burn is actually fairly accurate for me.

And I have a tendency to snap at people before realizing that something is making me agitated. There are times when I really don't know something is wrong until I snap. So, I was hoping that the whole stress alert thing might sense changes in my body and help me become more aware of my own stress/anxiety before I snap and lose control.

Best Answer

Bad news the alerts are delayed by about 10 minutes + AFTER you have the stress: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CJ4Pb5rvis

Fitbit Sense 2 has an all new cEDA (continuous ElectroDermal Activity) sensor that aims to help you track and improve your stress. In this video, I show you how to setup and use the new Body Response and Notifications, as well as give you my first impression of this new feature. ***** View at ...
Best Answer
0 Votes

Good news, I returned the device.

Best Answer

@t.parker wrote:

@LissaxKristine like you said, calories are always estimated. Calories based on HR are never accurate and knowing more about own body it's possible to adjust certain things. I never track casual walking because what I burn that way is rather insignificant. Also, I noticed that wrist sensors tend to register higher HR during walking (comparing with chest straps) which will inflate calories. I don't track calories from weight training and anything that involves more resting than actual exercising. On Suunto watch, I permanently disabled wrist HR and used chest strap for activities and that was added to raw BMR. Garmin for me is pretty accurate but this is because I do pretty much the same as with Suunto (I keep wrist HR on but rely only on BMR) and track only running, cycling, rowing and long hikes (with chest strap) for active calories (for running, cycling and rowing I use connected power meters so that's best for accuracy, much better than HR). There is no perfect solution and each platform does it differently. Also, I'm on the other end and most of platforms (including Fitbit) underestimates my energy expenditure 🙂 Hence I worked out own way of what comes in and what I ignore.

I looked at the stress graph on Garmin and it doesn't tell me anything I wouldn't know. I'm just curious why people even need stress tracking. It's similar case as the daily readiness - feature telling you what you already know but stressing you even more if it tells you not what you want to hear (see the threads about HRV or readiness) 🙂 Did we forget how to listen to own body? I know when I'm stressed and why, whether it's mental or physical etc. Most of stress related problems cannot be fixed with breathing app on the watch. The stress detection is based on multiple parameters and it's hardly only one indicates that you're stressed. HRV is a good way of detecting stress as it's directly connected to the nervous system. EDA is more like a "lie detector". Elevated HR doesn't need to mean anything (people run to relax, I do that and elevate my HR to actually relax 🙂 ). Watch with current technology won't be able to give you much more details than saying "you are this much in stress". Will show you values like HRV, HR, EDA responses etc. but as numbers these will be still meaningless. But who knows, maybe one day we will have advanced stress analysis and watch will tell "you should return your Sense 2 immediately as it's stressing you out!" 😄

I feel like OKBOOMER is really needed here specially since you are POSTING IN A FITBIT CHANNEL WHERE PEOPLE WANT ADVANCED METRICS ON THEIR LIFE lol. 

Also... running to relieve stress is biological. It has nothing to do with your heart rate. Stress doesn't always co-exist with your heart rate either.

Nor does anxiety, panic disorder, or the above. But for people suffering from these things it is nice to see what happened during the episode or pre episode to know how to better utilize the techniques we learned to cope or be able to take the medications prescribed.

After your run, endocannabinoids are released in your body, which is a biochemical substance similar to cannabis. This naturally produced chemical in your body floods your bloodstream and moves into the brain. This provides short-term feelings of reduced stress and calm.

The mental benefits of aerobic exercise have a neurochemical basis. Exercise reduces levels of the body's stress hormones, such as adrenaline and cortisol. It also stimulates the production of endorphins, chemicals in the brain that are the body's natural painkillers and mood elevators. Endorphins are responsible for the "runner's high" and for the feelings of relaxation and optimism that accompany many hard workouts — or, at least, the hot shower after your exercise is over.

Behavioral factors also contribute to the emotional benefits of exercise. As your waistline shrinks and your strength and stamina increase, your self-image will improve. You'll earn a sense of mastery and control, of pride and self-confidence. Your renewed vigor and energy will help you succeed in many tasks, and the discipline of regular exercise will help you achieve other important lifestyle goals.

Almost any type of exercise will help. That is not what people are saying.

But yes, BECAUSE YOU DON'T NEED A CERTAIN THING or LIKE A CERTAIN WAY, WHY WOULD ANYONE ELSE WANT THAT?!  People buy SMART watches to get HELP with the things they DO NOT KNOW. Congrats on having your entire life figured out so well, but others don't and want the tech to assist. /rant

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Tristannyc I also want tech to support more aspects of my life but here's the thing. The tech you are after doesn't exist (yet) regardless whether it's Fitbit or Garmin or anything else. The wrist watch technology is kind of stuck (that's from my work experience). There is as much data as you can read from your wrist and we pretty much reached a pinnacle of what's possible with current sensors. There are things going on outside of wearables area in that matter but what you want and what you can get are two different things. What I'm saying is don't have your hopes high becasue what Fitbit does is far from being groundbreaking. For more in-depth analysis we need more variety of data and ways of analysing it. Stress is a complicated matter (I see that you know it) and simple watch can give you so far answers yes/no and how much because we don't know how to do it better. Fitbit doesn't know either.

Best Answer

I have decided to return the Sense 2.

Best Answer

Ahahahahahahaha

Best Answer

They gather a weeks worth of data before even letting the feature activate, but all it does is look back through logs? It shouldn’t be this complicated. They act like this feature is some kind of machine learning wizardry but no, it’s not some kind of IDS for your health, parsing through terabytes of data to see minute to minute to minute  changes, it’s just a watch that takes a week to read like 3 data points. 

I mean I know that no one knows any of the actual specs ATM, but anyone have a guess as to what kind’ve processor is in this 300+ dollar trash fire? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Having seen the few videos available so far and how much this watch lags just to change screen it seems the processor is at best the same.of thw previous Sense.

Formerly Giampi71 - Retired from Fitbit for good on November 13th 2023
Best Answer
I am holding off a few weeks as we have 45 days, and if no updates are released it is going back

Sent from my iPhone
Robin James Short
Best Answer
Strange thing is this was pre release and I had to do a software update out of the box, no Wi-Fi and updates are over Bluetooth

Sent from my iPhone
Robin James Short
Best Answer
0 Votes

After a few more days I'm leaning towards returning mine and going back to my original sense. Even at the price of ~$200 I got it for, it seems a little frivolous spending to keep it when my Sense so works... I'll try gluing my Sense's face plate back in before making a final decision though.

Best Answer

I disagree about there being only so much that can be parsed out by a quad (or more) set of lasers two finger pulse points, gps connectivity, an accurate accelerometer/gyroscope paired with a skin thermometer/moisture sensor. Most of the ideas behind the tech are decades old, we just didn’t have the sensors. Ironically, now that we have the sensors, it seems that the developers at Fitbit have no imagination or even a basic understanding of what they could be used for.

Like look at what Apple has done with its wearable: call and text routing, device handoff, SpO2 readings on the fly, extremely accurate fall detection, walking steadiness that is accurate to the MINUTE and allows you to look years back, nearly perfect menstrual cycle predictions, sleep tracking, apnea detection, a nearly 1:1 version of the iOS App Store, etc.

Oh, and they haven't blatantly lied about their battery life.

Fitbit got acquired by Google and just got lazy. It’s a shame because they do have some tech that apple hasn’t mastered yet, but they just sit there and release a crappier product each year.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, I switched back to my much more feature rich Sense and am returning the Sense 2...What a major disappointment...

Sense, Versa 2, Versa, Ionic, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Aria
Best Answer

@Dwuuds I wouldn't necessarily say they got lazy when they got acquired by Google as much as they got hamstrung. The latest price prediction for the Pixel watch is $349 for Bluetooth+GPS only, $399 for LTE enabled. The Fitbit Sense 2 costs $299. Let's assume it had the same features as the Fitbit Sense, at that point it would be almost comparable to the $399 Pixel watch. The Pixel watch says it has Fitbit integration, but to what extent they have it (i.e. which sensors they actually integrated) is up in the air.

Realistically, they should have probably gotten rid of the Sense or Versa line, given all the features of the Sense 2 to the remaining product (probably Versa 4), and charged $249 for it as it appears the only features missing off the Versa 4 vs Sense 2 are ECG sensor, skin temperature sensor, and cEDA sensor... I don't think those sensors are a $70 difference in price especially when they want to supplement it with a Fitbit premium subscription.This would have easily differentiated that the Versa 4 as a Fitness watch with some smart watch features as opposed to a full smartwatch like the Sense line was marketed as.

Best Answer

I have just cancelled my preorder Sense 2 based on the info here.
I have a 4 years old charge 2 which is running fine but I thought I would move up to better info.
Given what I am learning here, I would be paying a lot for very little.
I think that I am going to look again at the Charge 5.

I am also going to wait for the Pixel Watch and see what it has.
I am not really that interested in all the notifications and emails on the watch but I would like music/podcasts, health data etc.
I could jump to apple watch but while I have an iPad I don't have an iphone so that makes apple watch less good of a fit.

Another that I am looking at is the Garmin Venu sq2 which seems similar to what I thought I was going to get in the fitbit sense 2.

We'll see what happens.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree with @Dopovo it doesn't appear that the processor has improved at all. Any small (if any) improvements have been consumed by the new heavier UI. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

I ordered the Garmin Venu 2 Plus today. I am returning the Sense 2 to Fitbit.

Best Answer

I agree. I don't think it's laziness. I think it's strategy/differentiation. I don't think they had to or should have went quite as far as they did in removing functionality. The Wear OS ecosystem is of course going to be more robust, and they should have positioned this to compete against Garmin. But, to me, it's an odd feature set, it's basically health and little else. Almost a fitness tracker XL. At its price point, when you look at the competition (Garmin, Samsung, forthcoming Pixel Watch, etc), it's hard to see where it fits. 

When the acquisition happened, I figured the "smartwatch" side of Fitbit would go away and they'd integrate Fitbit into Wear OS. But this isn't how I expected them to go about it. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt for knowing what they're doing here, and while I like a lot of Google's tech, commercialization is hardly a strong point. With reviews now coming out, and they are okay (we're harsher here), but I see no evidence of anything coming beyond what they announced initially, which was my hope (the media would get more answers). 

Best Answer

The online store where I bought my Fitbit Sense offered me a full refund in store credit after a third broken Sense. With this I ordered the new Sense 2 and it arrived today. Adding to the list of missing features is the proximity sensor to turn of the screen holding your hand over the screen.

I bought te Sense because of all the health features compared to the competition (Garmin, Samsung etc). I'm not really checking on the spot measurements, but more following statistics and trends over time. Guess I'm pleased when I notice all sensors work and I receive my Sleep Score every day for the next 30 days. Otherwise I will be checking out an other brand after eight years of Fitbit. 

Tracking my health and movements with Fitbit from april 2014, now using a Sense 2™
Best Answer