Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Google Assistant on Sense 2?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I went through all materials, video, docs and Google Assistant is nowhere to be mentioned, contrarily to Alexa. Shall I remind that Fitbit is a Google Company?

Fitbit, what's happening to you???

Formerly Giampi71 - Retired from Fitbit for good on November 13th 2023
Best Answer
161 REPLIES 161

Will it be a technical reason that Google Assistant is impossible on a Sense 2? But Alexa requires lower computing resources?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hmmm... so, the Versa 2 has no trouble running both Alexa and Google Assistant (and allow apps, and control music and a host of other things that the newer models won't do) but the newer and presumably more powerful Sense 2 can't? Hard to buy (in all "senses" 😄)

Best Answer

@MBon  - the Sense 2 is missing things, you can't assume it is more powerful. The Versa 2 doesn't have Google Assistant.

For instance the Sense 2 has no 3rd party apps, no music, no Google Assistant or agenda, fewer clock faces etc.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

What if Google buy Garmin? 🙂

Fitbit purchased Pebble (my fav watch) then Alphabet (Google) bought Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Guy, I remember you, I asked you once if you work for Fitbit/Google. remember? You didn't answer...  😄

Of course the Versa 2 has Google Assistant! Seriously, why would we be having this conversation in the first place?

IMG_20230227_091956.jpg

As for assuming that a newer model is more powerful, I think it is just a matter of common sense, no pun intended, if you are now telling me that maybe Fitbit is deliberately releasing less powerful devices in order to promote the Google line, well that is exactly what a lot of us have been saying from the very beginning of this thread.

I owned a Pebble for three and half years, still my favorite by far.

Best Answer

some stores will not accept it back once its been opened.

------------

me too...loved my Pebble.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Google has no expertise or experience in avionics, marine and GPS applications.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It didn't work for me I didn't mean to click that I don't see why it had to be deleted in the 1st place that's the main reason why I use it.  I've been using it to turn on everything in my house before I get there. I literally don't have any other uses for this exercising, besides the time. I'm not much into excercising.... 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The sense in terms of hardware is not lacking anything the versa 3 or og sense have. All they lack is development behind them. 

Google bought this company for the IP that is it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got my sense2 as a gift, I'm not much into excercising, but I liked being able to use my Google assistant on my fitbit to turn on my smart devices in my home. I also ask Google alot, which was convient on my wrist. This response Still doesn't explain why Fitbit had assistant then removed it. Now all I have is a fancy watch. Pretty disappointed.

Best Answer

Google wants people to buy the Pixel Watch reason why they don't want to add Google Assistant to Fitbit's new devices. I would expect the Fitbit name to die soon and be renamed to Pixel watch.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You know, that would actually be fine with me and possibly make good business sense. The problem is, their existing models don't seem to provide the same functionality that the Fitbit Versa 2 (not 3 and 4) provide. The Pixel watch has a battery life of barely a day versus the 6+ days of the Fitbit Versa 2, and that thing alone is a game-stopper for me.

Best Answer

100 PERCENT! I'm soso surprised that the "new" tech had less than 24hr hold -- how are we to get the overnight stats? There shouldn't be more time thinking about charging (then remembering to put it back on) than wearing. And, yes, it charges fast -- but, the less you have to think about it the more success you're apt to have when using devices along with your day. And, this is coming from a lover of Android / Google -- as I wanted this to compliment my Google Pixel 7 Pro.

Best Answer
0 Votes

That was the reason giving for holding off on adding Google Assistant. They wanted people to get the Pixel. That was before I guess they decided to ditch it all together. They have Fitbit now built into the Pixel Watch so I would guess Next year's lineup Fitbit will be renamed or they will rename the Pixel Watch to Fitbit Pixel Power by Google. Something. I don't see Google having two separate lines of watches. I would never buy a smartwatch with a day of life. Seems pointless.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The one thing I am still mystified by is, where does such a huge difference in battery life come from?

What exactly does the pixel watch do that drains its battery so quickly? And if one could turn that (possibly uninteresting to many of us) functionality off, could one conceivably increase the duration of a single charge to at least three or four days?

I mean, for example, even with the Fitbit Versa 2 I get six days for a charge but only because I do not have the (useless) "always on display" feature turned on. If I did, I'd get two days' worth of battery life. What is it that drains the Pixel watch's battery life so quickly, that cannot be done away with?

It all seems so strange...

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MBon The pixel watch runs Linux kernel with Android 11 parts bolted on top. It was designed in 2018, so at the time it ran fast, but in 2023, it is quite slow. The Fitbit OS was designed around the Pebble OS, not sure how much was incorporated. But the previous Fitbit OS devices ran fast and smooth. Once Google took over they scrapped everything that made Fitbit devices great. So what does the Pixel watch do, everything it doesn't need to do, it's OS is the first part of battery drain. Then there are the apps, sensors, spo2 is still not activated yet as it would drain even more, they measure the heart rate way to much, even made it seem a selling point at Google I/O. So if they ditched wear OS and put Fitbit OS on it is would scream, but they partnered with Samsung and can't just throw that away. So much lost potential. 

Fitbit Ionic 72.1.15 (recalled) and Fitbit Sense 128.6.17
Best Answer

@MBon Pixel Watch isn't made underpowered with lower screen refresh rate. It's made to render 60fps (Sense 2 is less than 30), with ability of running more than one app at a time and with 3D capabilities. It is the same reason why Apple Watch or Galaxy Watch consume more power. They don't hold back to limit the quality of graphics and animation and they make use of more power hungry features. On top of that, what @Jdsenter mentioned, Pixel Watch seems to be a bit outdated (it took too long to develop it). Believe me, if you get PW or any other high-end smartwatch in your hand you will notice the difference of quality comparing to Fitbit devices. Unfortunately, that quality has its cost.

Best Answer

"it took too long to develop it" is exactly what I was thinking -- here they are, trying to get it done by a certain release date / testing for years / then release only to have had others surpass because they are on more than just their 1st release already. I truly hope it wasn't just inner personnel testing and giving feedback, they really need a BETA Testing group of consumers to provide feedback -- because #1 would have definitely been the quick battery drain -- cutting the "Google Assistant" aspect -- and, we, as users/consumers...could go on. One other thing I noticed and don't know of others faced this like me, I did purchase the Google Pixel Watch and wore it during the trial period -- but, HAD to send it back...my wrist was so incredibly sore, arthritic feeling.

Best Answer

I would love to upgrade to the sense too but the only thing holding me back is the fact that it does not have the Google assistant it seems very strange to me that a company owned by Google would not carry the assistant.

Best Answer
0 Votes

There was Google Assistant on Sense 2, but few months ago, they disabled it. With no word.

Best Answer