Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Google Assistant on Sense 2?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I went through all materials, video, docs and Google Assistant is nowhere to be mentioned, contrarily to Alexa. Shall I remind that Fitbit is a Google Company?

Fitbit, what's happening to you???

Formerly Giampi71 - Retired from Fitbit for good on November 13th 2023
Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi everyone, and welcome to our new members.

Thanks for your interest in our new Sense 2, and your feedback about its features. In regards to the voice assistant, let me share currently there are no plans to deploy Google Assistant on Sense 2 or Versa 4. I understand how much you'd like to have this feature available and we look forward to bringing this feature to future devices. For more information about how to use Alexa, let me recommend this help article.

@Dwuuds and @Dopovo Thanks for letting us know about the information displayed on the Fitbit app. I'm sorry for any confusion this may have caused and I've reported this to our team so they can make the proper correction.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
161 REPLIES 161

Hello @Dopovo  where were you looking to find information about Google Assist? Doing a brief search of the help area of the forum, I found at least seven articles. The main information can be found here - https://www.fitbit.com/global/us/technology/voice  - and here - click

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 9

Best Answer

@Odyssey13 links mention only Sense and Versa 3. I believe the post is about Sense 2. Is there official source that confirms that Sense 2 supports Google Assistant?

Best Answer

It does seem as though all mention of Google assistant has been removed. The product page only mentions Alexa built in, and the feature comparison chart has a red line in the Google assistant box but a check mark in the Alexa box.

Screenshot_20220824_221611_com.android.chrome.jpg

Perhaps a Moderator could clarify why there is no mention of Google assistant?

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

@N8teGee Let me see what I can find out...I'm curious now!

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I was getting help through chat about something else, but I did ask about when Sense would get Google Assistant. She said she didn't know, but from the way she said it, I got the impression that no one knows what's going on, and  maybe not to expect it. 

Best Answer

This is a big bummer. I use Google Assistant all the time. Since it's in none of the documentation, I'm assuming this is not some temporary miscommunication and it's not there. I was looking forward to the Sense 2. Now I'll have to reconsider. ☹️

Alta > Versa > Versa 2 > Sense
Best Answer

@BlazeFS - it would seem this Sense 2 is actually a Sense Lite edition, with no Google Assistant, no  increased battery life or any music ability whatsoever.

What market it is intended for would seem to be a bit of a mystery.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer

As the Sense 2 does not have Google Assistant [quite why is a mystery as it exists already on the Sense] it is actually severely crippled.

Many functions the Sense is able to do can't be done on a Sense 2.

Google Assistant can be used to set Alarms, Timers, Notes etc, with options that are not available directly on the watch. For instance it can set alarms for specific dates or assign labels to them.

Without Google Assistant in order to set an Alarm on the Sense 2 it will be necessary to stop what ever exercise, app or clock face you are using in order to get to the Alarms or other apps.

This lack of Google Assistant is a major drawback, unless there is some other voice control [not Alexa] or new feature that hasn't been announced.

There may be many other options that the Sense 2 cannot do without Google Assistant, such as Home automation, play phone music, doing searches or any of the other functions it provides.

Best Answer

@Guy_ I've merged your thread with the existing one. No need to start a new thread when there is one already discussing the same topic, it serves only to fragment the discussion.

It's still possible to use Alexa to complete some of the tasks you mention above. Alexa is able to set alarms and timers, albeit separate from the native apps. This should still be accessible during workouts from what I can remember (I haven't used it for some time though).

I get your point though that this seems like a huge step backwards for anyone "upgrading" (who's a Google assistant user) to the Sense 2

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Best Answer

@N8teGee- thanks, quite why they have gone back to Alexa only is a big issue for those with no Amazon account, Alexa devices or need for Alexa, which could heavily impact Android users who are used to Google Assistant on their phones.

The Sense Google Assistant was a brilliant addition and personally would never buy a watch without it. Because it extends the scope of the on board apps pretty well.

Best Answer

We are still waiting for a Moderator to clarify the situation, hopefully they can shed some light on why Google assistant isn't listed and if it's actually in the works or been axed completely. 

To me it makes no sense at all considering this is effectively a Google product. I have noticed that Google wallet and Maps say coming soon in the screenshot I posted above, but Assistant just has a red line. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Best Answer

@DramaQueenDiva I'm curious what you found out!

Best Answer

Well now, we know Google is setting the stage, Fitbit brand is about fitness, health, and anxiety, Pixel brand is about Google Services with Fitbit integration... Both will require Google account, as they will transition from Fitbit accounts in 2025, per help articles.

Was just my thoughts, but the Pixel watch will have all the Google apps, maps, messages, wallet, assistant, on board music, even LTE, maybe even full voice calls without the phone. 

Sense 2 is void of that offering I think on purpose to separate the two brands, maps and wallet helps for mostly non US as reported in several forums, Fitbit pay is very limited to certain banks, where Google pay has way more. No third party apps, clock faces or functionality really makes this more a health and anxiety watch, all smart functions have been removed. 

Also the battery life is the killer feature of the Fitbit brand, days not hours, which is where the fitness part comes in tracking sleep, and all the health related features. 

I use a Pixel phone and the integration of Google services is awesome, if the Pixel Watch has the same integration and no need to tether a phone, it could easily be an apple watch competitor only for Android.

Fitbit Ionic 72.1.15 (recalled) and Fitbit Sense 128.6.17
Best Answer

@Jdsenter In principle I agree with you but I don't see the reason to have Google Map (as turn-by-turn app) in place of a much more useful app like Komoot for example. Also why giving the advantage to Amazon with its Alexa?

So if your thought is correct I would have just left Google Assistant (proven to work very nicely on Sense/Versa 3, even better than on Wear OS), replaced Fitbit Pay with Google Wallet and add Youtube Music because not having music on your wrist nowadays looks really non-sense.

(Typing this post with my Pixel 6)

Best Answer

Yes @Dopovo. I too am seeking answers. It's as if no one from Fitbit wishes to come here and reassure us that Google assistant will be present in a watch made by a Google company.

@DramaQueenDiva offered us some hope, never to be seen again. Multiple calls to Moderators to give us an official statement, yet still we wait.... 

Best Answer

@--Smeagol-- when asked in social media about this and music support I got this answer (probably one of canned responses):

Screenshot_20220826-110033_Facebook.jpg

Best Answer

Just spoke with support and they seem to be as clueless as users about the features of new watches.

03:22:59 Trey P.: what about the music capabilities (storing music, deezer, pandora, controlling music)? and whether Google Assistant will come to Sense 2 or won't be supported (it is supported in my current Sense).
03:23:34 Agent: Mateo S.: Well I am able too see that alexa will be
03:23:53 Agent: Mateo S.: however I am no able too see anything realated to google assistance.
03:24:32 Agent: Mateo S.: Regarding the music
03:27:14 Agent: Mateo S.: Well there is no enough information since there are some updates coming.
03:28:07 Agent: Mateo S.: the only information I have at this time is in the product, shopping, and press release pages.
03:28:47 Agent: Mateo S.: No Spotify, Pandora, or Deezer on the watch
03:29:07 Trey P.: that's disappointing
03:30:30 Trey P.: i have been told by Fitbit social media representative to ask support about it as you may know more but seems like everyone is kept in darkness.
03:31:06 Agent: Mateo S.: Well, Since there are some updates left regarding new devices, we will need to wait to hear all of them.

There's not much information provided except confirming what we already know. However, the agent mentioned some updates so it's probably safe to wait and maybe a few things will get clarified. For now, it's safe to assume no Google Assistant, no music and rather wait with pre-ordering until those updates will go public.

Best Answer

I really can't understand why Fitbit can't just be clear and upfront about the features. Instead we have to look at product pages which contradict each other, or are told this feature is coming soon without any indication as to when that might be.

Im sorry but for me this just rings alarm bells and leaves a sour taste from the get go. Please show a little respect to your customers/potential customers Fitbit. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Best Answer

@t.parker I think you would have had a more meaningful conversation with a Bot, completely useless. At Fitbit It seems to be a case of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing. 

Best Answer