Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Google Assistant on Sense 2?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I went through all materials, video, docs and Google Assistant is nowhere to be mentioned, contrarily to Alexa. Shall I remind that Fitbit is a Google Company?

Fitbit, what's happening to you???

Formerly Giampi71 - Retired from Fitbit for good on November 13th 2023
Best Answer
161 REPLIES 161

@SunsetRunner I'm not sure how using a Fitbit is tying oneself to a single platform, could you elaborate further? The last time I checked Fitbit devices could be used across Android and iOS.

I think what you meant to say was if you don't want to be tied to a specific platform, then stay away from Apple. 

@t.parker I wasn't aware. Sounds terrible. 

Best Answer

No this workaround works only in iPhone not on applewatch. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

That looks like the case.  FitBit will be the basic step counter/HR/general fitness device and the Pixel will be a direct competitor to Apple Watch and Samsung Galaxy.  Garmin is going for the hardcore athletes.

Best Answer

It's all very odd. I was first told yes, and then no when I pushed their support person a bit more. Maybe it's for differentiation from the Pixel Watch, but Google pushing people to a competitive voice assistant ecosystem to differentiate their watches seems like a stretch. I'm sure the Pixel will have a much more robust app library to differentiate too. Also, I wondered, did Fitbit (pre-acquisition) agree to some timeframe of exclusivity with Alexa with new watches? No idea, but it all seems odd otherwise. Given some of the leaks aren't super impressive with the Pixel in terms of battery life (a reminder for an evening charge so it'll make it through the night for sleep tracking) and processor, wouldn't I be just as likely to go with the Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 that now has Google Assistant, which would of course move me to their fitness ecosystem? It just seems like there must be more to this story. 

Best Answer

I was told or read someplace, that the needed Google infrastructure will not be ready at the time of release. Going by fitbit history, this means the chance of Assistant support is unlikely. 

On the store, while mentioning several features will be coming soon (phone calls, Google Maps, Fitbit Pay), it show no support for Google assistant. 

Since Google now owns Fitbit, I can't imagine not having this supported. 

To sum up, just more confusion on what to expect. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Assistant did come quite a while later for the Sense. But agreed the comparison chart doesn't seem to leave the door wide open. People have spoken of differentation for the Pixel Watch, but the reality is driving people to the competitive but fully featured/capable smart assistant to drive Pixel Watch sales seems like an unlikely strategy. (I just happen to use GA, if I used Alexa I wouldn't care.) I would think we'll start seeing reviews soon, hopefully they'll ask the question to Fitbit. It seems like they're trying to turn Fitbit OS into a Wear OS lite, which is probably sensible, but leaving out Google Assistant for Alexa while promoting "Smarts by Google" doesn't really work.

Best Answer

I've seen multiple statements saying it's a 6 day battery - Sense 2

Best Answer

I just got my FitBit Sense 2 today. Totally missed that it did not come with Google Assistant (or Google Pay currently). Checked with customer support. Google Assistant integration is not currently listed as a planned update.
Link to screenshot here: https://twitter.com/daerroth/status/1573285358460342272?s=20&t=y1uYGPVE4VB1t3pxsb-ytA 

Best Answer

Hi @SunsetRunner.

Seeing as you've now got your Sense 2 can you confirm what other features are missing? Is there any signs of music control (as in controlling what's playing on your phone)? 

Also can you go onto the Fitbit app gallery to see if the Spotify control app is available to download on the Sense 2.

Thanks.

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm afraid I already returned it as soon as I discovered that it does not have Google Assistant. Posted after getting back home from post office. Sorry about that.

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner No need to apologise. We are just curious users like yourself looking for answers as Fitbit still hasn't officially confirmed/denied these things. So the only way for us to find out is from users who have the devices in hand. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Best Answer

There's no sign of music control. When I go to the Fitbit app gallery there literally aren't any apps available aside from the stock ones.

I'm absolutely blown away how much of a downgrade this is from the previous Sense.

Best Answer

@TargoTargo Thanks for confirming that there isn't any music controls, and also that there isn't any access to 3rd party apps also.

Yes this device definitely appears to be a huge step backwards from the original Sense. I'm not sure what else to say really, I'm very disappointed. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Best Answer

I know I only got it yesterday, but there are some features on the original Sense that are just not available on the Sense 2:

No third-party apps (at all)

No calendar or agenda

Can't use the Sense 2 for phone calls (only answering the phone)

Strange, complicated and less intuitive navigation gestures (swipe up for notifications)

No Google Assistant (only Alexa)

Hardware button is hard to press (no feedback)

Can't customize favourite exercises

No Wi-Fi connectivity

No media options (Spotify or Deezer)

UI seems less fluid

I know some of these things might be "coming soon", but I use my Sense for phone calls and calendar all the time.... so I can't be without them.  I have a feeling that "coming soon" can mean 6 months.... so I will revisit the Sense 2 in the future... perhaps.

Best Answer

Does seem like a Sense Lite after all and not the successor to the Sense.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer

@Guy_ I would say it is more a Pixel watch Lite.

So now users must choose between expected smartwatch features or battery life. Whereas before they could pretty much get both with the original Sense. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Best Answer

@N8teGee - lol

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Google leave Fitbit behind to push pixel watch.
Best Answer

I purchased the Sense 2 for my wife. We were aware that Google assistant would likely be missing, and she was ok with that (although I thought differently). 

To our surprise as you can imagine, we were shocked to learn that Google assistant isn't the only downgrade. Let me list the downgrades so that other users can save themselves some time. 

• No Google assistant. 
  • No Fitbit app gallery or access to 3rd party apps (this means no Deezer, Spotify or the likes).
  • No music controls. That's right, there is no ability to even control the music playing on your phone. 
  • No on wrist Bluetooth calling. 
  • No Google wallet or Google apps out of the box (we did know about this before the purchase). 
  • Inability to rearrange exercise shortcuts. 

I'm sorry but to me (and my non techie wife) this is an outright downgrade to the Versa 3 my wife was currently using. That's right the Sense 2 is a downgrade even on the Versa 3. Fitbit should be ashamed of themselves, they are acting no differently to a scam artist and will not be getting a dime more out of me.

Good luck and think twice before parting with your money. 

Best Answer

This is my experience EXACTLY.  At best, it's a "Sense Lite".

Best Answer