Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Google Assistant on Sense 2?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I went through all materials, video, docs and Google Assistant is nowhere to be mentioned, contrarily to Alexa. Shall I remind that Fitbit is a Google Company?

Fitbit, what's happening to you???

Formerly Giampi71 - Retired from Fitbit for good on November 13th 2023
Best Answer
161 REPLIES 161

I certainly will.  I did submit an amendment to my request: bringing back the option of being able to choose which Assistant to choose.  Not everyone has Google Assistant, just like not everyone has Alexa.  Very few have both (I happen to have both), and those of us who do, tend to use one or the other (in my case, I use Assistant more than Alexa).  Almost everyone has one or the other, why exclude one of them and lose potential business?

I submitted it here .

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer

"we look forward to bringing this feature to future devices"
So, it's never going to be on the sense 2 and if we want google assistant, we either have to buy the sense 1 or wait until fitbit releases a whole new device?
I'm just really curious what fitbit's reason is for not even planning to put google assistant on the sense 2.

Best Answer

How does a Google product not support a Google feature, and not have plans to do so in the future?  Doesn't seem like a smart business decision to me. 

Best Answer

I think you nailed it there.  I returned the Fitbit Sense that I had purchased so... that's one more Fitbit gone away...so if that is their strategy, it worked.

Best Answer
0 Votes

They want to push their Google Pixel watch, which means, you buy a Fitbit, you only get a fitness tracker, forget about all smartwatch features. I can take phone calls on my Versa 2, that thing too is gone in the newer models. But, because battery life on the pixel watch is, oh l don't know, half an hour? I'm looking at other brands altogether.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did the sales of Pixel watch make up the loss of sales in Sense 2 and Versa 4?

As time goes by, it's likely there won't be a Sense 3 but a Pixel Watch 2 only. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MBon if only it was that simple. Acquiring the company for its technology isn't a new thing. In 2020, Garmin acquired FirstBeat which they've been already licensing. I guess, it was cheaper to buy the whole company. Garmin users benefits from acquiring FirstBeat and FirstBeat users can still use other FirstBeat branded products. Now, let's go back to Fitbit and Google. Google released the Pixel Watch but don't you feel it's kind of "unwanted child" when it comes to Fitbit integration? If PW user has any issue with Fitbit, then Google support tells them to come here. In here, we tell them to go to Google forums 🤷‍:male_sign: Fitbit forum doesn't even have PW added separately despite selling it. I really feel sorry for PW users who bought it for Fitbit experience as nobody seems to take ownership of that product when issues arise. Additionally, Fitbit integration on PW is limited in certain areas (like swim tracking). I may be wrong but Fitbit won't stay long on PW as a primary health platform. It's too detached from the product. Garmin integrated FirstBeat seamlessly. If user have an issue with TrainingEffect or TrainingStatus metrics, doesn't need to call FirstBeat customer support. It's part of the platform. I can't quite understand what the end game is for Google. Not every acquisition is bad for customers and let's face it - Fitbit was already going downhill. Share prices fell so low that analysts were wondering whether company would even survive another year and this is when the acquisition happened. Back then, it probably saved the company. If not Google there could be no Fitbit right now. It's one of possible scenarios. It's not all black and white. If Google bought already dying company then why would they try to revive it? Maybe from the business view it's better to loot what works and let that ship sink? We won't know that until it happens (or not). One thing I must say is that I was horribly wrong that Google could have bring Fitbit to new better standard. My prediction was a lot more optimistic. Not every acquisition is bad but here the effect of one on Fitbit is visible with naked eye.

Best Answer

Well that's what google wants, I believe they are downgrading all Fitbit devices in order to push their Pixel watches on people. I, myself, after looking at the specs and talking to people, will probably go with the SAMSUNG WATCH.

Best Answer

Your product team needs to reconsider its lack of plans to offer Google Assistant on these devices. I would have never, ever accepted this device as a warranty replacement if I had known what a downgrade this would be. This is not something one would think you'd have to check for... a Google-owned company having Alexa as their only assistant option is asinine.

I will never purchase another FitBit device unless Google Assistant is available on it. What a disappointment. 

Best Answer

Absolutely agree!

ATTN GOOGLE / FITBIT -- Life long Android / Google / FitBit user and was really excited to hear of the merge. So, I already have many other previous gen. FitBit wearable and was in the market to upgrade from the SENSE to the PIXEL watch, for streamlined compatibility w/ my Google Home devices as well as my Google Pixel 7 phone. The Pixel watch band makes me break out (yes, I take it off / clean / dry...etc.) in a blistering rash, the main device itself (for whatever reason) has been making my wrist have painful ZINGS and ache, in addition to needing to charge as frequently as it requires -- major downfall. For these reasons I was looking to return and purchase the SENSE 2 (thinking Google Assistant would still be present, but, nope!? So bizarre to me that that functionality would be removed from the "latest and greatest" of the other models. I would love / love / love for the SENSE 2 to NOT lack in any of the Google functionality that the PIXEL watch has + be loaded w/ the stress & heart-wise features it currently has + its current charge lifespan. For the love of Google / FitBit, this really needs to be rethought...cant a simple "update" be pushed to where these could be added, after market?

Agreed. It feels like they're intentionally trying to corner the Google / Android market into purchasing the PIXEL watch...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm confused didn't Google buy fitbit?? We do not have an Alexa but we do have MULTIPLE Google devices in our home. I updated my sence thinking I was gaining features not loosing them. Not upgrading the software to include this feature is fine but at least make it available as an app. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

No Google Assistant? Who approved that?!?

Had I have known this I wouldn't have bought the sense 2!

Seems like a step backwards to bring out a newer, revised and "updated" product that's missing such an essential "Google" feature.

What a shame I've already opened the box and can't return it!

Bitterly disappointed!!

Vote for Google Assistant to be added here:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Google-Assistant-on-Sense-2/idi-p/5250447

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Kraiye  - if you are unhappy with the watch Fitbit have a 45 day refund policy or possibly authorised dealers too, some stores provide 14 to 30 day refunds.

So if you bought from Fitbit it can be refunded if you are in the window, and stores should also accept refund, though a restocking fee may be charged if opened, worth checking.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

"we look forward to bringing this feature to future devices" Do you think we will buy your products in the future after this failure? Bring back everything what we had on Sense 1 this is the way of treat your users not what you do right now! Im pissed off sorry.

Best Answer

I think the problem is, Google may feel, if the FitBit smartwatches have Google Assistant, they are competing directly with Google Pixel watches. Which might explain why they have removed all the features from the FitBit smart watches, to turn them into activity trackers (essentially).

The problem is, what does the future hold for FitBit? Will they kill off all the smartwatches by Fitbit (and leave the Pixel watches to take over this function) and sell trackers only? Or slowly kill off the whole range and integrate FitBit into the Pixel and then rebrand FitBit as something else (Google Fit) and kill it off.

Who knows!?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was not at all impressed with the Fitbit Sense 2.   I bought another Fitbit Sense (Original) New in the box very cheap as a backup.  

If the time comes that Google kills fitbit I won’t be switching to the pixel watches I go with another company.  

Best Answer

I see a gloomy future for Fitbit, usually these days hi-tech companies acquire competitors to kill them (after sucking in as much technology as they can). Google's strategy of crippling the new Fitbit watches by removing functionality is a clear indication that they want customers to switch to the Google line of products. The problem is, they are not really making anything comparable to the Sense or the Versa, I cannot be bothered with a device that needs recharging every day... So, I think the Garmin Venu 2 or SQ is going to be my next wearable, once my Versa 2's battery dies on me (since of course they are not replaceable). 

Best Answer

Hi @InkyMyCat - good strategy, however you might find the Sense 2 as backup might be more fun or useful.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @MBon - the Versa 2 is a good watch, if you don't do updates or get it wet, it may last a long time! The Venu 2 Plus has a good quality speaker for calls and Google Assistant, even music and a good sized screen 416x 416

Best Answer
0 Votes

Since I used fitbit the smartwatches always died in 2 or 3 years. This is also not the best way of a sustainable World because a lot of people just throw away the wrong watches and it contains metals which are dangerous for the environment. I hope fitbit will realise the mistakes and in 3 years from now google will loose his reputation as a trustable company. Than I will consider to come back to fitbit 🙂

Best Answer