Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken Sense screen

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

owned my sense for 3 weeks after one waist high drop the screen broke, Fitbit would not even offer a discount. This is my second watch with them. Does any one know if there are an 3rd party screen replacement companies. You'd think fitbit would start using more durable screens since this is clearly an issue with multiple models of their watches... but I mean, we keep buying them even though they shatter like thin wine glasses.

Moderator Edit: Formatting

Best Answer
93 REPLIES 93

Update. Fitbit Customer Service over the phone was pleasant, and requested a photo to review, which I promptly sent.  Their reply was very quick too, if not helpful, 'Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this has caused you. We we're able to determine that your watch doesn’t meet the replacement requirements of our warranty policy. For details about our warranty policy.' I got the message: Not their problem if the screen broke with no apparent reason. 

I then took the Fitbit Sense to two local phone / electrical repair shops. Both said that the part to replace the screen was not available to order. For Apple Watch, yes, but not for Fitbit. So the Fitbit could not be fixed.

Having now struck out twice, with Fitbit, and with trying to repair, I contacted my credit card provider and put a claim through Purchase Protection. I have never claimed through Purchase Protection before - and it was only through reading one of the Posts on this page that I even considered it.  I provided the note from Fitbit that said Fitbit would not replace, and that there was no part available to repair. I am very pleased to say my credit card's insurance provider accepted the claim. Yes, I am out of pocket the policy excess, but it's better than just being left with a damaged Fitbit Sense.

Now what to do? Do I buy another Fitbit Sense, knowing that the glass can just break, with no known, out of the ordinary activity? I have looked at this Fitbit pretty intently now, comparing it to the Fitbit Ionic. I have noted the curved glass, that protrudes above the metal surround on the Sense, such that the glass edge has no protection. On the Ionic, the flat glass sits level with the metal surround, protecting the glass - or at least I never had any issues with the glass. Yes, the Sense design is more attractive, but that doesn't help much if the glass just breaks under normal use.

Having been a Fitbit user since 2016, I am loath to move on from Fitbit, because there is much to like. Part of me keeps hoping that Fitbit will improve the glass design of their top-end product Sense. Or bring back the Ionic with the software improvements of the Sense. I would buy it. But I won't buy another Sense. Not after this experience.

Best Answer

I equally just got my Fitbit sense yesterday and while putting my jacket on the band disconnected and it feel on the floor and the screen shattered. I am devastated! Why are the bands so weak???  I am serious regretting not having gone for the I watch 

Best Answer
I hope you can get a refund or at least a replacement
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am so sorry this has been your experience.  I hope you can get a refund or at least a replacement.  If you do get a replacement the I suggest that you get a case cover from Amazon, also write a review about the poor design of the watch that needs a glass cover!

Best Answer
0 Votes

TOTALLY agree

Best Answer
0 Votes

When buying a glass protector on Amazon, mention the fact that the Sense glass is designed so poorly that it NEEDS a protector

Best Answer

Unfortunately I bought it on Amazon as it was next day delivery and I needed it for my 30km event.  Well now I don’t have it 😭😭😭.  I know there are worse problems out there in the world but I am upset about this.  I can’t understand why they would make a watch that the band can so easily unclip and the screen crack !   Disappointed 

Best Answer

The sense glass is a KNOWN ISSUE at this point. I too had the photo request and got the exact same response, clearly canned responses. The photo provided no additional information for them to determine the warranty status. 

I am a loyal fitbit customer since 2015 but no more. They have shown me what there customer care is.

Best Answer

I am so sorry for this experience

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same thing. Had mine since February. Fell off counter and cracked the screen. Well within warranty and they refused to replace or repair. They would not even offer a repair option at my expense. This is the 5th model I have owned but no more. Until I get this fixed locally I'll wear my Ionic. I probably still have my Blaze around somewhere too, but I will never give Fitbit another dime. For something that is supposed to be a fitness/outdoor watch, it doesn't stand up to being whacked around and Fitbit doesn't stand behind their product. They've lost a customer in me.

Best Answer

I don't normally go out of the way to comment on blogs about products, but as a a generally happy Fitbit user I thought it my duty to warn other customers to make sure you think hard about whether or not you buy a Fitbit Sense.  Since my incident another friend who equally bought hers last week also cracked her screen, when her watch just fell on the floor as she was putting it on.  So the warning to any new customers of this product - BUY THE SCREEN PRTECTOR TO AVOID DISAPOINTMENT.

• I have been looking at the Sense more closely in comparasion with the iwatch and can easily see that:
  • the screen is bigger
  • the screen is not protected on the sides like the iwatch which may cause it to crack more easily when it falls
  • the band design in the way it attaches to the watch is not very secure (which is what happened to me)
  • the band design in the way it attached to the wrist, and the band material itself (which is actually good) does makes it more susceptible to falling when you put it on and off (which is what happened to my friend)

All the above say you are very likely to break the screen and Fitbit has no replacement and terrible Customer Support.  So all up BUYER BEWARE.

Invest your money in something else 

Best Answer

I assume to participate in the BP study, the (required) screen protector would need to be removed.  So I am not going to give FitBit another data mining point for them to market how wonderful this device is.

Best Answer

Oh my gosh this is so me too! Was told I had to purchase a new watch after the new iconic I just bought stopped charging-AND BURNED ME. Dummy me thought, I will give them another chance and got the Sense. Band disconnected today and it fell, not kidding 4 inches and shattered. Told oh well, and you have to get a new one. I would happy to PAY for it to be repaired- can you say E-waste?!?! But nope, fitbit doesn't do that any more. So sad.

Best Answer

Terrible product, not fit for purpose. Glass broke after the strap detached and fell, and there is no way to repair the device in the UK. Fitbit do not cover this with warranty and the customer service is appalling. Such a shame as I have been loyal customer for 10 years and some of the other devices are great but this one is the worst purchase! I keep getting the same copy and paste reply from customer service who are extremely poor.

Best Answer

Agreed - faulty design? Fitbit is not helpful and not standing behind their product; they can not even point me in the right direction to have it fixed.. They just want me to buy a new one..

Best Answer

Just had the same issue, I've had it for 6 days. 0 drops and there are 2 cracks at the corner of the screen. Customer services said that it wasn't covered by my warranty. It's totally ridiculous that a smart watch wouldn't be able to last a couple days without falling apart. Seeing everyone with the exact same issue just nails home that this is a larger issue fitbit are staying silent about.

Best Answer
That's the reason I quit Fitbit. They are not getting any more of my money
Best Answer

I unfortunately joined the club tonight.  Somehow screen cracked while working out. Wasn't cracked when started, cracked after. You chat to Fitbit and they sound like they want to help you then ask to rate their service. So you give them a decent review. Then you get the email that it's not covered by warranty due to user damage. Then they tell you to go buy a new on on their website. It's a $400 item that was bought 3 months ago. Who would of thought I fitness watch could make it through a workout. I'm disappointed with Fitbit especially after tho being my 4th device. I'm even happy to pay to get it fixed but they don't even given that option. Not everyone has another $400 to just buy a new one off their site as suggested. 

Best Answer

My screen has cracked as well and I am not even sure how it happened, i must have bumped something but I can't recall anything that would have cracked any other screen. These screens seem pretty fragile especially for Fitbit's most expensive watch. They never read these comments or help anyways.

Best Answer
They are consistently unfriendly to customers.
Google too big to fail. Big business, eat their young
Best Answer