Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does changing the wrist placement confuse the Fitbit app?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I wear my Sense on my left wrist during the day and on my right wrist at night. This seems to confuse a lot of the fitness features. I do this to minimize the indent on the wrist. Fitness prime is the most confused. Does changing wrist confuse the app? Is there a way to solve this problem while changing wrists

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

That should not cause problems.  I switch wrists occasionally with no issues from it.

There is a setting for wearing on dominant or non-dominant wrist, but all that does is try to filter out some pseudo-steps from your dominant hand.  And all it could affect is step count.

What specifically are the problems you think this is causing?  My guess would be that whatever problems they are have nothing to do with switching wrists.  Have you, at least occasionally, tried not switching wrists, and seen your problems disappear to convince you it is the wrist-switch causing issues?

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
13 REPLIES 13

Sense is sensetive to movement. If you use one arm more than the other, this could explain the differences. Idk. However, try changing to dominant wrist or non-dominant wrist as appropriate.

You can find the setting in app.

today page>Device picture>dominant wrist or non dominant 

Sense Activation 11/3/20\IPhone 12 Pro Max\SimpleClockPro Watch Face\Spigen Rugged Armor Pro Case/Band
Best Answer
0 Votes

That should not cause problems.  I switch wrists occasionally with no issues from it.

There is a setting for wearing on dominant or non-dominant wrist, but all that does is try to filter out some pseudo-steps from your dominant hand.  And all it could affect is step count.

What specifically are the problems you think this is causing?  My guess would be that whatever problems they are have nothing to do with switching wrists.  Have you, at least occasionally, tried not switching wrists, and seen your problems disappear to convince you it is the wrist-switch causing issues?

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer

@belterre   It sounds like you are wearing your Sense too tight.  It shouldn't leave a dent in your wrist.  Please try loosening the band.

Laurie | Maryland
Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Same as @JohnnyRow , I wear the watch sometimes on the left wrist, sometimes on the right and see no issues (well, HR works quite bad but no matter which wrist the watch is on). It shouldn't affect any features which are based on your HR. For steps, I haven't noticed much difference either (whether I set dominant/non-dominant setting) it really makes no difference such as I could tell the setting has any noticeable impact. I find swapping wrists a good practice from the skin health view (although I don't wear Sense on regular basis, only for some workouts, yet the strap leaves marks and itchy skin so swapping is necessary).

Best Answer
0 Votes

I still have problems. I am in the 6 months free usage of fitbit premium. i have no breathing rate, no heart rate variability, no activity, no recent sleep and no snore noise. 

Best Answer

Hi @belterre  - do you have tattoos on one wrist and not the other? Otherwise it should not make a difference, Ike the others say.

As @LZeeW  says it seems you are wearing it too tightly, mine is a loose fit and in my opinion there is no advantage to wearing it tightly or in different positions.

A watch should be comfortable to wear to accommodate you, not the other way round.

If it has to be worn in a specific position it is not the right watch for you. I wear my watches underneath my wrist at times, it works the same.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer

The App is inbuilt ,so i don't think changing the wrist confuse the App 

Best Answer

Can someone answer WHY the app would have a setting for dominant wrist or non-dominant wrist if it does not make a difference?  Is it not to minimize false steps?

Sense Activation 11/3/20\IPhone 12 Pro Max\SimpleClockPro Watch Face\Spigen Rugged Armor Pro Case/Band
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Clove6060  - see best answer as to how it makes a difference.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Clove6060   In this case, the OP switches it for sleep.

Laurie | Maryland
Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Clove6060 as far as I know this is the case but I never cared about steps (I just don't see it as a metric of any value for me) so can't really notice that difference. But true, Fitbit implemented that feature to control sensitivity of steps recognition.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Clove6060 wrote:

Can someone answer WHY the app would have a setting for dominant wrist or non-dominant wrist if it does not make a difference?  Is it not to minimize false steps?

Yes, wrist setting is to minimize false steps. But OP's problem is " i have no breathing rate, no heart rate variability, no activity, no recent sleep and no snore noise. "

These problems would not seem to have anything to do with whether or not his step is quite accurate.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@belterre wrote:

I still have problems. I am in the 6 months free usage of fitbit premium. i have no breathing rate, no heart rate variability, no activity, no recent sleep and no snore noise. 

Are you getting heart rate detected and shown on clock face or on phone app?

When you say you are getting not activity, exactly what do you mean by "activity"?  Do you mean you are getting any exercise sessions recorded?  Or do you mean you are not getting any Zone Minutes?  Did you ever used to get these?  Are you doing activities you think should record these?

"No recent sleep"  Do you mean you have recorded sleep in the past?  How recently?  Have you ever gotten any of the other statistics you say you are missing?

Just a suggestion: this thread is getting away from your issue, based on you initial assumption that it is caused by switching wrists, and perhaps that it is a Premium issue.

You might want to start a new thread, just stating your problem of the measurements you are  not getting, without getting into your diagnosis of what is causing the problem.

Best Answer
0 Votes