Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exercise heartrate way off

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi,

Recently I switched from the Ionic to the new Sense. But the heartrate during exercises is not very accurate. Actually it's way off comparing with the records of the same exercises of the ionic.

My average heart rate during Weights was normally around 109bpm but now it's 74bpm. for sure this can not be right? And the other day I played squash and I used the tennis exercise to log it and it said my hr never went above 109 while normally it peaks around 165. Is there something wrong with my fitbit sense or is this a common bug?

Best Answer
116 REPLIES 116

@dopeydwergit seems to be a bug:

https://youtu.be/7-u8VTmeDF0 

Let´s hope, it´s a software issue.

In this video I test the heart rate accuracy of the Fitbit Sense; I found some very specific problems. Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/quantified_scientist/ Twitter: @QuantifiedRob Website: www.robterhorst.com 👇Amazon Affiliate* (paid) links. Supports the channel, doesn't cost you any more!👇
Best Answer

@dopeydwerg to find real accurate HR I suggest investing in the PolarH10 chest strap (it's a gold standard of chest straps, like the one used in the video linked by @Wassermann80 ). You may be comparing one inaccurate HR to another if you use Ionic as a reference. For me, Ionic was incredibly inaccurate when compared with the chest strap (always too low except walking which was on the other hand reported way too high). Especially for HIIT, any exercises requiring bending wrist, but also during runs or even walk (walk was always reported about 20 beats higher by Fitbit). I'm not saying Sense HR is right, I'm just saying make sure you are not comparing the devices which are both wrong but differently 🙂 Do you want accurate HR? Only the chest strap.

Best Answer

When comparing it with my Galaxy watch active 2, it is also noticeable that the average HR of the Sense is around 15 beats per minute too low.

This behavior can be seen in weightlifting and also when walking.

The GWA2 records my pulse very precisely. Almost analogous to a manual measurement.

Best Answer

I have the same problem. Also the sense keeps restarting randomly and also keeps pausing during workouts. 

Best Answer

Same problem. Hopefully it can be fixed with an update.

Best Answer

Yes, I have this issue. The first time I noticed it was during a yoga session that I am usually pretty much in the fat burning zone with a little bit of cardio thrown in as measured by my OG versa. I meditated before I did yoga, so I thought maybe that was why the heart rate remained so low. Yesterday I went for a bike ride and I wore my versa on one wrist and my sense on the other The sense was consistently under estimating my heart rate. I stopped and did manual counts to be sure, may versa is dead on and the sense *is* inaccurate during exercise. I finally got my stress score to show up today after talking with FitBit Support yesterday-they did some thing with my app and fixed it for me, so I am appreciative of that. If only I could have two smart watch is attached to my account! Then I could use the versa for exercise and let the Sense be my normal watch since it does well at heart rate monitor at rest. I have until the 13th to return mine at Best Buy. I’ve already purchased the protection plan upon setting up my sense, also, so I really hope that they figure this out!

Best Answer

I'm right there with you. During my walks with my Ionic, I was consistently over 110 and up to 130 going uphill. Now that I'm wearing the Sense, my heart rate is barely over 100, so I'm not getting my active minutes. My heart didn't suddenly become more efficient simply by purchasing a new watch.

Best Answer

They should advertise that with the purchase of Sense, you get lower heart rate for free 💓.

We'd see queues outside shops! (socially distant, of course)

Best Answer

Apparently all it takes is complaining on a forum. After I posted that in the middle of my walk, it started tracking correctly. I didn't change anything. It's like Facebook when they start advertising things you talk about. 

Best Answer

It was more likely the pause in your walk, I think. I have a bike log of low hr... low hr... stopped to manually count *then* the Sense picked up a bit, but was still off. It was a difficult task, riding my bike watching the Versa on my right wrist, Sense on my left... add in the manual hr counting and I’m certain my neighbors think I’m looney, but yep. I’m going to test it again today.

i bought this thing with my *emergency* credit card. 😶

i need it to work properly or it must go back. 💔💔💔

Best Answer

Oh that is funny! 
Ty for the laugh, we all can use humor these days. 😂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just hoping they fix it soon. Different support reps have contacted me and asked me exactly the same questions and asking me to restart my sense. I keep telling them

I don’t need to as it keeps restarting on its own 3 or 4 times a day

I’m beginning to miss my old ionic

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm in the same boat. Multiple reps reaching out, different emails each time, always just suggest I restart the device. I am really concerting just returning it at this point. At one point during a workout today my chest strap heart rate read 184 and my Sense read 129. Insane. 

Best Answer
That’s what I’m getting.

I think what happens is the sense is slow to respond to an upwards change in heart rate but fast to respond to a downward.

When I superimposed my Fitbit heart rate over my myzone belt it seemed to be behind it and never quite reaching the same peak heart rate.

To add insult to injury it also keeps restarting during workouts

Ann

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Just took my pulse at 144bpm 

Fitbit says 102.

Best Answer

I loosened the watch strap and the heart rate is way more accurate. Still not perfect, but within 10 beats consistently so far. I'll keep testing.

Best Answer

Just loosened it off one notch.

Best Answer
Ok. Will try on next workout

If that works I’ll just need it to stop restarting two or 3 times during a workout. Just did bodypump and it restarted 3 times

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I logged on to report the same thing! 

I thought surely my heart rate is higher than this give I have been doing the same excercise for months and now with the sense I seem to have to work so much harder for the same results. 

Now when spinning I am flapping my arms as I need to get my heart rate above a certain level in order to get vitality points. Previously I'd pedal hard with no gimmicks.

Fitbit- I knew buying the sense at first release was a risk .. but come on now. So many issues! Spotify offline playback - HR - and many more.

And skin temperature- I'm sure there are benefits to logging this but How that idea took precedence over Spotify is baffling 

Best Answer