Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HRV and SPO2 accuracy on Sense?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Just got Sense. The resting heart rate measurement seems accurate at rest, however I have concerns about the accuracy of the HRV and SPO2. For SPO2, I have a separate Pulse Oximeter. When compared, the Sense reading is always a bit lower. So far, the HRV result I've gotten is very low. Considering the averages for my age and my overall health, this seems very off, and I will be testing HRV on another device. Has anyone else noticed these issues?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity and label.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

HRV and HR are two different things in terms of calculation. The sensor must deliver R-R intervals which require not just good accuracy but excellent if the data is going to be useful. I'm not sure how much data Sense provides (just number?) but without knowing the raw data it's same accurate like the sleep score and any other made-up metric. I've been using EliteHRV app which shows all the cards to the user and so far the app uses only two tested sensors which have been made with measuring HRV in mind. Here's how much data can be obtained for HRV (it's not everything):

Screenshot_20201004-000824_Elite HRV.jpg

It is important whether the algorithm uses RMSDD or SDNN to compute the HRV (each parameter works different and it depends on the context which one suits better, it's important whether it's a long measurement, morning measurement etc.). Some watches don't provide R-R intervals and as much as their sensors are good for calculating BPM and RHR, they are useless when it comes to HRV. Some sensors provide R-R intervals but smooth them trying to filter out the noise coming from the readings (optical sensors gather lots of noise). Without knowing which path Fitbit decided to take and how they calculate HRV I wouldn't use it for anything serious. This goes to any other wristwatch with claims of calculating HRV without exposing data and methodology 🙂 HR is easy to capture and measure, HRV isn't. Without Fitbit being open on how they compute it and how the data is obtained, HRV on Sense is going to be just a gimmick for rather casual use.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
103 REPLIES 103

I’m first user of Fitbit devices.
Yesterday i got the new Sense, and also the subscription for Premium. 
I am not getting the reading for HRV nor for breathing rate in the Health Metrics section.
I’m not sure if there are settings I need to do in order to get those. Also, not sure if this has to do with the area I’m in (Canada)

Best Answer

It needs to collect 3 days/nights worth of data to establish a baseline. 

Sense (formerly Ionic), iPhone 12
Best Answer

Thanks for confirming!

Best Answer

Hi @hawaiichica - Good question. Please keep in mind that when you use the Pulse Oximeter, you are taking a snapshot of the SPo2 at that moment. The SPo2 clock face uses sensors to estimate your blood oxygen saturation (SpO2) while you sleep and reports on that. From what I’ve read, our oxygen saturation levels are lower when we sleep so this would explain the difference in your readings. 

Best Answer

I've read that SpO2 readings on the wrist is typically lower than the fingers.  It's good at detecting changes, but will always differ from fingertip readings.

Best Answer

Mine has been on the 20s and now today it's at 18. I can tell you that it is definitely not working or I would be dead.  I'm really glad I pay extra for this watch to scare me to death and send me into a full-blown panic thinking I could possibly be dying. 🙄

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner I was under the impression (and looking at the user manual - here) that Fitbit wouldn't report an spO2 reading below 80%.

"Fitbit SpO2 does not measure or display
SpO2 values lower than 80%. Any measurement that is lower than 80% will be displayed as
“<80%”.

Could you please post a screenshot of where it shows your spO2 being in the 20s and 18%.

Thanks. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

The HRV is extremely simple to calculate (assuming their heartbeat timing is accurate to begin with) so I'm assuming Fitbit's data is accurate. Bear in mind also that HRV can be low in some people and they can be perfectly healthy, it's not a 100% reliable statistic.

Best Answer

They may be talking about the HRV reading. These numbers (18 and 20 ms) are very low for HRV and similar to the readings I've been getting. They're likely inaccurate considering that the average HRV for younger people is between 50 and 100 ms... 

Best Answer

When it comes to HRV, I don't know. But I can say that the SPO2 sensor seems to come up with numbers that every other option I have to measure that agrees with. So I will take that it is within the good range of accurate - certainly not as good as medical instruments that would cost me multiple thousands of dollars but good enough to get a decent idea of that health metric.

Best Answer

I think it takes a couple days to start measuring the HRV stuff. And remember - to get measurements of the SPO2 you have to be using the SPO2 watchface while sleeping for that. For whatever reason Fitbit decided to make the watch measure that only while that watchface is in use and you are sleeping to get that measurement. I suspect it might be to save a bit of battery life.

Best Answer
0 Votes

For sake of clarification @SunsetRunner is speaking about HRV, not SpO2 (see here), as correctly guessed by @hawaiichica 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm definitely talking about HRV. Those reading's haven't gotten above 24 since it started calculating it over a week ago. 

Best Answer

I've definitely thought the HRV numbers are off, as well. I'm thinking this is an algorithm issue of some sort, because I've found the HRM to be pretty accurate while resting.

My HRV was apparently 25ms last night. That's super low. I have a RHR of 60 bpm, for the record.

Best Answer

I think the HRV data is complete nonsense on the fitbit. The versa 2 actually gives me fairly accurate Heart rate even during exercise, so I can only think it is the algorithm that seems to be the issue. The day after having a few drinks I actually got a slightly better hrv score which is the opposite of what would normally happen. 

Best Answer

I believe HRV will vary based on how they calculate it.  With a chest strap HRM using EliteHRV, i'm typically 45-60.  But with the sense and my oura ring, it actually has them at similar which is typically around 26-32.

Best Answer

My SpO2 readings on the Sense are consistently about 4 points lower than readings taken with a finger pulse oximeter.  

Best Answer

Same here. The sp02 is off and so is the hrv. 

Best Answer

HRV and HR are two different things in terms of calculation. The sensor must deliver R-R intervals which require not just good accuracy but excellent if the data is going to be useful. I'm not sure how much data Sense provides (just number?) but without knowing the raw data it's same accurate like the sleep score and any other made-up metric. I've been using EliteHRV app which shows all the cards to the user and so far the app uses only two tested sensors which have been made with measuring HRV in mind. Here's how much data can be obtained for HRV (it's not everything):

Screenshot_20201004-000824_Elite HRV.jpg

It is important whether the algorithm uses RMSDD or SDNN to compute the HRV (each parameter works different and it depends on the context which one suits better, it's important whether it's a long measurement, morning measurement etc.). Some watches don't provide R-R intervals and as much as their sensors are good for calculating BPM and RHR, they are useless when it comes to HRV. Some sensors provide R-R intervals but smooth them trying to filter out the noise coming from the readings (optical sensors gather lots of noise). Without knowing which path Fitbit decided to take and how they calculate HRV I wouldn't use it for anything serious. This goes to any other wristwatch with claims of calculating HRV without exposing data and methodology 🙂 HR is easy to capture and measure, HRV isn't. Without Fitbit being open on how they compute it and how the data is obtained, HRV on Sense is going to be just a gimmick for rather casual use.

Best Answer