Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My experience with Sense heart rate reading lower than previous fitbit devices.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

As you will see below, suddenly when moving over from my older Blaze to the new Sense, my daily activity dramatically drops because the new Sense generally reads exercise (cardio has more issues than weight lifting in my experience) 20 - 40 BPM lower than my previous device during cardio, 10-20 BPM lower in weight lifting; Which results in less "fat burn, cardio and peak" heart rates being recorded and makes monitoring my daily progress much more difficult.
IIFYM_0-1603455195303.png

I have tried all the suggestions I have read of:
Adjusting the strap to be tighter and higher up on the wrist, adjusting the strap to be looser so you're able to slip a finger under it, adjusting strap to be tighter and lower on the wrist, resetting the device, removing the device from my account then resetting the device then re-adding the device, adding custom heart rate zones slightly higher and lower than the default, etc. Anything that both customers and customer service have suggested I have already tried and it has changed nothing.

The other thing that is slightly odd is that not only does it read my heart rate lower during exercise, but when sedentary my heart rate reads 10-15 BPM higher than the old device too - at first one may think "this must just be the correct heart rate and the older device was just reading it incorrectly", but I doubt this is true. I also strapped a Garmin chest strap to monitor my heart rate along with borrowing my friends fitbit Charge 4 and all read my heart rate at the same or within 5 BPM of what my Surge did. It seems the Sense is the odd one out. It seems there is serious issues with the Sense ability to correctly read heart rates. Judging by the amount of people I have seen all over the internet talking about these issues I would think this is not a one off faulty device (so, getting a replacement likely will not change anything at all it seems, I see others say they have gone through 3 different Sense and had the same issues with all).

Customer service seems to be responding to this issue with scripts reading out instructions for people to adjust the tightness of the band and things that do not seem to solve the issues at all, so I'm unsure if fitbit is going to even address the situation in a future update or if it is even possible to do so as no representative of fitbit, not even the forum moderators, have actually acknowledged this issue with the Sense to my knowledge.

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Deleted my response. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The CPU seems weak though. Maybe affects the health metrics.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have seen this aswell.

My sleeping HR with the sense seems to be 48bpm

With my ionic it is 44/46bpm

Best Answer
0 Votes