Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One standard charger for every Fitbit model

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Why does Fitbit design new charing mechanism + new chargers for every model? Why cant you standardize it across devices? Especially being part of an sustainable eco-conscious company, this seems like Design 101!

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
17 REPLIES 17

Seems very logical from a business perspective to keep all chargers the same across the brand, reduces production costs, retains customer loyalty and as has been said, maintains the Eco credentials of the company. 

Best Answer

Hi @kow. It's good to see you here. @JimFranklin Welcome on board.

I understand how useful it'd be to have one standard charging cable that can be used with any Fitbit device. Please know that each charging cable released with a new Fitbit device has been improved based on the feedback we received from our members, as well as the size of the Fitbit device. However, I appreciate your feedback and my best advice is to vote for this idea posted in the Feature Suggestions board so our development team can keep tracking this request over time. Every comment shared by our members never goes unnoticed and yours won't be the exception as it'll help us to make Fitbit more useful for you.

See you around.

Best Answer

I always thought it was related to product sizes, as the device gets bigger or smaller the charger adapts to the correct size, same for bands?

Fitbit Ionic 72.1.15 (recalled) and Fitbit Sense 128.6.17
Best Answer

Agreed @Jdsenter I would be hard to make a charging cord to fit the Surge, Versa, sense, and the Lux. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It would be hard now, after the fact, but at the design stage its a simple matter. 

Best Answer

Depends how it connected could cause the tracker to lift or twist, also if they want to make it slow charging, faster charging, magnetic, or other methods. As a tracker, really it should have some internal charging, as it moves, it could absorb some energy transferred and self charge, or have solar cell for a trickle charger, there are so many opportunities. But there is price and failure rates, I have gone thru so many chargers cables, and bands, that it just makes sense make it unique to each tracker. 

Fitbit Ionic 72.1.15 (recalled) and Fitbit Sense 128.6.17
Best Answer
0 Votes

When the different models vary widely in shape and size, it will not be easy to design one that fits all. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue While I shop around for what my next brand will be, I'm seeing some competitors have USB ports for charging. No, it's NOT complicated. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Its only hard if you do not think, induction charging is clearly the way forward for so many electronic devices. It works for phones, it will work for Fitbit moving forward  

Best Answer

Yes I was thinking about that. 

On warm days, my phone overheats, my galaxy watch overheats, and charging stops. Using this type of charging in my old phone was swelling the batteries. 

Then with the charge 5, they did not have room for the barometer, do you think that they could fit a coil in? 

@MarkMM no it is not complicated, but it does take up more real estate 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Rich, they can fit in what they want if they so choose. 

Best Answer

Hi everyone.

I understand your points of view and appreciate you for taking the time to share your thoughts about having one single charging cable for all our Fitbit devices. Please know every feedback shared in the forums never goes unnoticed as it helps us to work on our products, improve them and make sure we're delivering what our users need. With that in mind, I'd recommend voting for this idea posted in the Feature Suggestions board as the more votes an idea receives, the better chance it has of getting the attention of the developers.

Have a good day.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Seems logical to have all different chargers so if you misplace one you can't use your partner's and you have to buy a new one. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

But we will not get one charger for past units. 

Also the Sennse, charge 5 , Luxe 2, and Inspire 3. All have way different demensions and shapes. This makes a universal charger not realistic 

Best Answer

It not realistic after the fact, but is realistic at the design stage. I'm an Electrical and Electronic engineer and when designing new kit we take future proofing into account as it reduces design, prototyping and manufacturing costs. 

It is seriously not rocket science. 

Best Answer

I'm just not sure how one charger would work with the versions of these trackers. 

Fitbit size.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue I think that something good can be done with just a little effort

Lux charger on top of SenseLux charger on top of Sense

Formerly Giampi71 - Retired from Fitbit for good on November 13th 2023
Best Answer